Latest Roadmap Update - January 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Or have a side project exclusive to consoles, lol

2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That helps too. I dont get why this upset some people. Way too damn much people in simracing community with a mental age of a 5 years old child >_<

John, Sergio Loro, Filip and 4 others like this.
  3. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you Thank you, Thank you, Thank you and Thank you :)

I am a newbie and I am trying to learn how rF2 is working, its just a couple of weekends I am setting up the game and I was struggling a bit and back and forth from ACC and rF2, thanks to the people here in the forum are helping me a lot.

This evening I've setup my FFB and its seems working fine but the most important thing I've downloaded the new update and its changed a lot, WOW. I am still driving at this time, and I love the new car livery. I am expecting more in the coming months with a full range of official GT3 livery. I love GT3 and Blancpain GT so I am driving only only GT3 cars, the sound also improved.

I am wondering if the Ferrari 488 GT3 will be part of the GT3 in the near future, please?

Big thanks Studio 397.

MarcG and EsxPaul like this.
  4. elbo

elbo Registered

So other things the update broke on my system...
    Shadows no longer appear anywhere whether set to max, high, med or low
    software steering rotation is broken
    VR no longer works...

5. DanielK

DanielK Registered

I tend to agree with a lot of things said here. It feels like we’re only getting new content while all the issues that have been there for a long time have been ignored. If rf2 is to remain at the top of the pile we need everything that we currently have working properly. New content is really no good if people can’t enjoy it the way they want to. I appreciate having a large grid of official gt3s etc but it’s almost too much. Out of all the cars in the last 3 packs, I’ve still only had the time to master 2 of them. And I still can’t have a good offline race with them. Some bug fixes and an update to some older content here and there would be very much appreciated.

6. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

For a long time I've been pointing out the exact things that people posting in this thread are angered by.

S397 has seen that they can cash in with unfinished DLC while they ignore longstanding problems. As long as you keep buying the DLC, they'll continue this behavior.

Vote with your wallets.

2ndLastJedi and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  7. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

RF2 has been left behind and they are playing catch up.
    For that they need some cash flow and many guys have gone on to buy things like that Formula E track they knew they'd never use just to help move forward our fav sim.
    If you look at what has come out in the last year and what is in store for this one then saying that it's just DLCs is both exaggerated and,I feel, unfair.

8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

on the bright side Rf2 will shine with a solid onlline mode
    its time to stop play other sims online and finally see racers gather here and play the real deal as a pick up race
    non stop onlin races here

9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

All people have to do is ask instead of just whining XD

muzikant, jayarrbee36 and Spyro like this.
  10. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I don't really think anyone is "whining" as you say. People are allowed to express concern.

2ndLastJedi and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.
  11. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Registered

Yes, I recognize the fact that many people are not satisfied or even frustrated. That wasn't the point I was trying to make in my previous post however.

I responded, because I think you were a bit unfair towards S397 while not recognizing that Sector3Studios is being criticized for things I mentioned. You rate the developer by things that suit You. That is fine but...

...just look around, we all have different priorities, we want different things. You want better AI among other things. Somebody else wants better online experience, then somebody else still wants better graphics, etc. Who is right? Unless S397 can deliver all those things at once, there will be people that are not satisfied. So the question is, who do they cater to first: you, me, John Doe? They don't have the team big enough to cater to all of us, so something has to give. S3S does the same, people ask for adjustable tire pressure, they receive new liveries. People that wanted new liveries are happy, those that wanted adjustable tire pressure not so much... You get the point.

You may say: but rF2 is not a new sim, there was plenty of time to fix all the things users wanted.
    The problem is, S397 took over the development about 2 years ago. I have no idea if it's the case here, but sometimes it's harder to fix something then to build it from the ground up. However, these are some of the things S397 have delivered so far:
    -DX11
    -improved performance
    -new tire model
    -new shaders
    -some amazing free cars and tracks
    -great DLCs, considered to be the best GT3 and GTE cars in all sim racing scene by many
    -Sebring track, again, considered to be the best track in all of sim racing

Now. there are lots of things that need improvement. We know it, devs know it. It won't happen all at once but they are working on it. Give them time.
    They need to release DLCs to fund further development (remember, most of the sale proceeds of the base game went to ISI). I'm not even sure they make enough off those packs to fund the day to day operations. Keep in mind they had to pay licenses to car manufacturers, and Steam takes a big share (I've heard up to 50%, but please correct me if I'm wrong).

You say that users have nothing positive to say about the recent progress. Remember that people that are frustrated will always be more vocal than those that are content with how the things are going. S397 must be doing some things right, as they have been voted by RaceDepartment members to be the best developer of 2018.

Finally, I've been defending S397 on more than one occasion. I have no stake in the company, but I enjoy the sim and want them to succeed and some things that have been said are unfair. rF2 has huge potential and I feel it gets better and better. I will also defend Reiza and Sector3Studios, because they are great developers as well.
    Raceroom is not perfect either though, I already mentioned some of the core things it's missing in the previous post.
    Even Automobilista, while very polished and almost close to being perfect, lacks VR, and has slightly dated graphics. These are the things that don't matter to some, while are a deal breaker to others. I know some people that despite the fact they loved AMS, abandoned it because it doesn't support VR.

This brings us to the same old, same old - no sim is perfect.

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

create a good online is a must for rf2 to bring new people to the sim
    ui and online races will bring funds to the team as well for further developing
    show must go on

13. 73_Dave_Martin

73_Dave_Martin Registered

Is it possible for Studio 397 to include Paint.NET tutorial for painting skins? It wouldn't need to be a complete tutorial, just parts where Paint.Net differs from Paintshop. I wasn't able to afford Photoshop when I started and have been using Paint.NET, now that I'm retired I can't afford Paintshop now. I believe there's a lot of people that would benefit and appreciate the inclusion of Paint.NET instructions.

14. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Use GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/), is free. ;)

15. boxer

boxer Registered

Not with only one official single laser scanned track.. the nords may be here in 6 to 8 months or even longer(I'm just guessing).
    that will be only 2nd laser scanned tracks in rF2. When comparing it to iRacing/AC/ACC, rF2 is seriously lacking.
    It needs popular tracks where these GT3/GTE cars currently race on.

The lure of iRacing for me are the tracks and not the online system or cars. if they ever change the system so you so can race the AI offline without paying for subscription , they would get a buck-load of $ from me.
    It's nice to be able to race Daytona, LeMans, Indy, SPA, Monaco, Sebring on their respective weekends...or lap around at your preferred local track... (Mosport for me).

S397 should concentrate on laser scanned tracks, releasing a pack would be good. Would be nice to have at least 8 to 10 to create a proper calendar.

Regarding the Roadmap... I think it's smart not divulging too much before it's ready for release.
    Both the GUI and Online system are the least important items in all of this. Sure it would be nice to have these update but no rush.. it's not a game breaker. With the exception of the tracks I am pleased with the progress this sim has made under S397.
    on the physics side I agree that both rain/weather system and AI could use some improvement.

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  16. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

The comments here have taken a bit of a negative turn compared to past months. Most of the concerns have already been expressed in prior months as well, but it seems frustration is building.

The priorities seems to have been in two areas: first, give us high quality content (cars) which I would say has largely been fulfilled, given a bit of extra polishing and also a rework or the content to the new PBR shaders; second, revamp the graphics for a better lighting model and PBR etc. (of which these two go somewhat in tandem). So it feels like the focus from a dev perspective to the "core" sim code has very much focused on the graphics side.

What this has left, is a lack of progress on the physics side and I'll call it "event support". The latter includes making sure that, for instance, if its a rainy event the AI don't all start on slicks and then have to come and pit at the end of lap 1 to change to rain tires (not saying this bug exists, its the sort of bug that could exist). I'm not really clear if the code on tires, turbos, suspensions etc. has really been changed or if the "vehicle dynamics engineers" have figured out a way to use the elements they have to give a more consistent result but in my mind the latest cars feel much better than the older, ISI content. But there doesn't seem to have been much progress here, when we take into comparison some of the things Reiza have done with AMS and Sector3 with RR. And I think there is a general feeling of lack of completeness/fixing for either AI issues or undesired event conditions. And so, there is right to be consternation where we find out that devs have been supporting an entirely different endeavor with Amazon on their game. We've lost resources that could have been fixing rF2 rather than getting that code running on consoles. Far from being happy for S397 about that announcement, I too felt a bit angry about it. It's been 2+ years and this stuff hasn't been fixed or enhanced.

So the question is what happens now. Content releases on cars seems to be churning along, and I have no problem with this DLC being the means for S397 to generate revenue to fund all the other developments we would like to see. You don't have to buy the content. I have and partially as a desire to help fund the company (though I will not be buying any of the FE content because it isn't complete enough). Tracks are a different issue and I've already expressed my displeasure at putting all eggs in the Nords basket for this when we could have made more progress on other tracks (like FE-specific tracks). But the primary question is where is the focus for the coders. It's been graphics. It needs to shift to other areas, and I think the community have made plain in the this thread that they want this to be the case. I have a suspicion some of the enhancements we may want to see for offline modes is wrapped up in the new UI, so there may be useful stuff in there we can't get at because the UI is delayed.

17. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@boxer
    imo we have too much of physics :)
    (physics are never too much)
    online racing is the future
    we dont lack physics but i agree bug fixes is a must
    from what i understand physics will not stay back begging for implementation but a parraler developing will take place with the priority which is called "Online Racing"
    no need to be on the same level as Iracing at least from the begining and no need to have 10 laser scanned tracks to start developing a really good online racing system
    can happened in paraller developing which i m sure they try to do

18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

19. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@burgesjl
    the AI rain pit bug is so embarrassing.
    its completely useless racing against ai on rain

coltair likes this.
  20. LokiD

LokiD Registered

that's it we have all these nice modelled gt cars with their physics and literally cant run them offline like I would. due to the ai bugs. Ive forced myself to stop buying DLC till they fix the AI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.