VR - area pitch black at night.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Shawn Jacobs, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Hi

Seems after one of the recent patches in VR at night anything that does not have lights shining on it is completely solid black.

This includes anything just out of your headlights, if there is no residual light it's basically a solid line from light to solid black.

This also occurs inside the car, completely black with no detail what so ever.

Further to this performance at night seems to have taken a massive hit, I'm sure it use to be almost easier to get good performance at night vs day, but yeah now it seems to be a struggle.

2. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I don't think it's rf2 - mine is still fine, but (big but)...

...I'm running a Rift with the 'frozen' DLLs - I.e. the Home v1 cut-down set (see the lengthy VR setup thread for details) that avoids me needing to run the Oculus bloatware. Eventually, this will probably stop working, but for now it's as stable and fast as I could hope for.

3. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks for replying mate, I've experienced this in both the rift and the odyssey plus.

Some examples of tracks, Sepang turn 1, right side of the track is pitch black. Estoril a large amount of the track, in the BMW GTE especially on the main straight there is no detail what so ever in the car, steering wheel etc is invisible, just pure black.

Any chance you could share you graphics settings if you don't experience issues at these tracks.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Have you tried clearing your SHADERS and CBASH folders?

Located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log

5. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Yeah tried that, no luck unfortunately.

MarcG likes this.
  6. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Also not the only one who has experienced this. So would be interesting if there is anyone that definitely doesn't have problems.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'll check tonight and report back.

Edit: just to check you have Verified Files? Also does this happen at Silverstone or another Official Track besides the two you've mentioned? thanks

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

@Shawn Jacobs

I cannot reproduce this issue at all, can you please:

- Backup your player.JSON (player.bak for example) and start the game (this will create a fresh player file)
    - Make sure your GPU drivers are up to date
    - In LAUNCHER -> SETTINGS -> VIDEO SETTINGS and under GPU make sure your Primary GPU is selected (not Auto or Onboard/Other GPU)
    - Check that SteamVR is up to date (latest update was today v1.2.10)
    - Check that you're using Official Content (Does it happen at Silverstone?)

If problems persist please post a Screenshot of the issue and Screenshots of your exact settings (including the Launcher Settings Video Settings tab) so I can see in more detail exactly what's going on, thanks :)

9. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Registered

Thanks Marc, good to hear you don't have the issue, I'll grab some screenshots in the morning and thank you for helping me out.

Have tried fresh player file, verifying, fresh install.

MarcG likes this.