Very slow start?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by alex salazar, Jan 27, 2019.

1. alex salazar

alex salazar Registered

Hello I am suffering of a very long start of my rfactor2 steam simulator. Several minutes . Any suggestion please please
    I have a 7th Gen. Corei5 8gb ram a TX 1050i 4gb card and 3d mixed reality glasses. Thx for your support .

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

rF2 takes longer to start depending upon how many mods/tracks/cars you have added to the original core. You may see improvements if you un-install tracks or mods you do not use very often. Either that, or invest in a fast SSD drive.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  3. alex salazar

alex salazar Registered

ok, thx , next question, if i place all the packages in a new SSD drive , ** only the packages directory ** , will it work ? or i am obligated to place all the simulator directories etc etc etc in the new drive ? regards

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Somebody else will have to answer that, I don't have an SSD. I've read at least one post that had issues with both windows and rf2 on the SDD. When rF2 does a memory replay dump, it would freeze windows and thus stop rF2. There might be threads on the hows and whys of SSD, perhaps someone will advise.

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

It should start right away. Do you mean loading tracks takes a long time?

6. alex salazar

alex salazar Registered

nop, the long process is starting rfactor2 itself and later start on steam VR , do you think using a SSD could improve this ? thx

7. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Registered

I have a direct comparison as I have rF2 installed on both HDD and SSD. Same mods on both.
    SSD is my Windows drive. HDD is one of the storage drives, 7200rpm.
    The difference is night and day if you compare loading times (from pressing Play to rF launcher). On SSD it's almost instant. On HDD it takes significantly longer. I didn't time it, but it may be 15-20 seconds for HDD. SSD takes 1 to 2 seconds (I just timed it). So it looks like it can be anywhere from 10 to 20 times longer.
    No issues having rF2 and Windows (7 Professional 64 bit) on the same drive.

8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I bought "M.2" SSD's but you need maybe a new motherboard so that might not be a good option. However the loading after the first time (first is Always slow - even with the worlds fastest SSD's), but after the first track loaded it takes no more than a few seconds to load tracks after that. First time maybe takes 30 seconds or so. Gonna time it tonight when i get home. I do remember it takes about 10 seconds to load tracks after that first time. However i often clear CBASH and SHADERS (which you should do when updating the sim or changing settings as a general rule to keep it tight and proper), and when you clear those folders it takes long time again to load. But 30 seconds compared to Before which was minutes - bliss. :)

9. alex salazar

alex salazar Registered

Thx guys for your support but something has to be wrong , when i push the rfactor launcher, it takes something around 2 minutes or more to start, and when i start the game itself inside steam with VR support just add another minute or more..so :( ??? is there any relation with intenet speed also ? thx

10. alex salazar

alex salazar Registered

well i timed more thaN 3 MINUTES TO START LAUNCHER ! ND ADD ANOTHER MINUTE AND A HALF for the game itself over steam VR plataform, i have around 130 circuits and more than 300 cars. not sure about everybody, but looks like a lot of stuff..it is ?

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes that is a lot, try cutting back on all the content you no longer drive and your loading speed will improve.

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I can confirm that problem.
    Unfortunately i can not say when it started anymore (it's a while ago. 5-6 months i would say), but before it changed, the single player and the devmode started in a few seconds.
    Now it needs 30-40 seconds.
    But only if it gets started the first time.
    When i start it again the same day, it loads as fast as it did, before the problem appeared.
    And it has nothing to do with more or less content, because i always use the same content + - 2 tracks or cars.
    I speak about the time that it needs between the click on the button in the launcher, to the moment when the menu shows up.
    Something has changed in the games code or starting routine, i guess and it would be good if the devs could jump into this thread.

13. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

When you say 'launcher' - do you mean the 'rfactor 2 launcher' that has the home, content, settings, multiplayer etc. icons down the left hand side and that shows the list of news items? Or the launcher in the Steam windows menu that gets you to this point?

For me, getting to the rf2 launcher with the icons/news takes a minute or two and it gives the hint by saying 'synchronising with Steam Workshop' during this time. I've got c. 50 items subscribed...

The next step (to launch into single player or get to the car selection menu of a multiplayer game is consistently much quicker - and doesn't vary during the day (I.e. nth launch is as quick as the first).

Filip likes this.
  14. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Registered

I just timed launching rF2 from HDD. 28 seconds vs 1.5 sec for SSD. Same mods on both drives.
    You have tons of mods, I don't have that many, but still, SSD would shave your loading times massively

15. stonec

stonec Registered

1.5 seconds? How is this calculated, is it from time that launcher appears or from time that actually the game starts? I have the game on SSD and it takes around 15 seconds just to start the launcher and another 30 seconds to start the game itself. 1.5 seconds I see only as possible if you have almost no content installed.

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, i mean the rfactor 2 launcher, not the time that it needs for synchronizing with the workshop.
    It is, as said already, the time that it needs, when i click the single player or devmode icon of the rfactor 2 launcher, until the menu shows up.
    And during that time the screen is totally black.
    I will try to make a video soon.

17. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Strange. I'm on a HDD and it doesn't take long at all. I haven't re-installed the game in a couple of years, but some people have success fixing all sorts of problems by re-installing it.

18. Mauro

Mauro Registered

When i launch rf2
    it needs 2 minutes for synchronizing with the workshop

19. stonec

stonec Registered

This synchronizing phase will get much quicker when moving to an SSD. The other loading times, not so much.

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

i7 8700k > M.2 Samsung 960 1,000 GB (Sequential Read Speed Max 3,200 MB/sec, Sequential Write Speed Max 1,900 MB/sec)
    For me loading Sebring with 40 GT3 AI takes 35 s.