*TIP* to reduce entry delay while maintaining perfect fluidity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrivingFast, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

I've tried this, because the other option won't work for me, since i have triple setup with different refresh rates on the monitors. Middle monitor is a 144hz and outside monitors are 60hz, same built. (Couldn't afford two additional 144hz monitors :) ) I always ran without vsync, because the much better fps. But after using this guide and then switching vsync to on, i have much more precise and detailed ffb and no input lag, even if the fps drop below 60fps. Is this possible or do i suffer a placebo? I always thought, vsync off would result in less input lag. But my driving at the limit is much more confident now...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

That's a fine guide... I didn't know that and had to spend some time experimenting :confused: At least my findings are in accord with it :)

3. Chuck Tailor

Chuck Tailor Registered

Thanks for the tip bro. Will apply it soonest.

4. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

I think this is the problem for a lot of people with rf2, it's a great game/best sim. But it's not that easy to set up. Fiddling with ffb settings and in general. For me, it's fine, I love to learn something while having fun with such a great game...but most people just want to plug 'n drive, and like to have nice graphics over superior physics....Naaah, back on topic: How can I get a minimum of 60 fps with vsync on in rfactor2(with triples 5910*1080)? I have a zotac GTX 1080/8 GB. With vsync off, i get 80fps+ with most settings at max(PP medium, 2x AA, shadows on high). With vsync on, fps sometimes drop to 45(PP low, no AA, shadows on medium)IN DRY CONDITIONS!! Is it possible to play with vsync on/60fps+ after all?

atomed likes this.
  5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Very very good settings but FOR SINGLE SCREEN 1080P.
    From another post in the forum.

------------------------------------
    I adapted my graphic settings with the following goals :

1. Really good performance, and at least 60 AVERAGE FPS in the worst game circumstances :
    rain/sunrise-sunset-night-low sun racing conditions, Sebring 12H, 61 AI [max AI on Sebring]).
    2. The most beautiful graphic settings possible when it is not raining and the road is dry:
    (Graphical ingame and post-process settings + Nvidia inspector graphical settings)
    3. Keep a good graphic quality in the rain and on wet roads very good, but make two compromises to keep extremely good settings in all conditions except rain, these settings are also beneficial for the graphics in the rain.
    4. To avoid unpleasant surprises when driving, "a lot" of AI visible.

TEST (done 3 times to be sure):

- Sebring 12H
    - 61 AI
    - Grid position: 45
    - 8:00 AM ---> ~11: 00, time scale x5
    - My car: Mclaren GT3, other cars: S397 GTE and 397 GT3
    - Mostly cloudy and 100% rain
    - Important : during the whole test, I always positioned my car in the middle of a group of cars, therefore in the worst performance conditions.

NVIDIA INSPECTOR GRAPHICS SETTINGS:

- Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1 (low input lag)
    - AA: x2 Multisampling associated with the very powerful AA x2 Sparse Grid Supersampling (Enhance the application setting): it is thanks to that that the image is always beautiful = important.
    - Anisotropic filter optimization: OFF
    - Trilinear optimization: OFF
    - Texture filtering: HIGH QUALITY (very important for global visual quality)

INGAME GRAPHICS SETTINGS:

- Post-Process: ULTRA
    - Full HD
    - AA: forced by nvidia inspector
    - FullScreen mode

- visible AI: 12
    - AUTO FPS: 60 (really help)
    - Mirrors: ON + 1 virtual rearview
    - FOV: 47

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3phb8axhehk35r2/ingame rF2 settings.PNG?dl=0
    [​IMG]

- ***IMPORTANT, THE GRAPHIC SETTINGS THAT I LOWERED:***
    Opponent: medium, Soft Particles: low, rain: medium

GTX 1080 OVERCLOCKING

Allowing to win about 5.5% of FPS.

RESULT OF THE TEST (3 times the same test):

1. A good performance even in difficult race conditions, and perfect in all other race conditions.
    - AVERAGE FPS after 30 minutes: 64-67 (according to the 3 tests carried out).
    - MINIMUM FPS: 44-45
    - MAX FPS: 94-96.
    2. Excellent image quality in all circumstances (AA x2 sparse grid, etc.)
    3. Only in the rain rF2 does not have ultra graphics.
    During wet and rainy conditions, the loss in visual quality is actually acceptable, because the difference is not very visible when driving.

6. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

I think those settings can be improved.
    Developers always said that PP on Ultra should be used for screenshots only since the difference from Medium is little but it has an high toll on performance.
    Did you try AA x3 with transparency (Inspector setting) instead of Super Sampled x2?
    Road reflection at Ultra is very demanding and it's a reflection you rarely see.
    If you use Shadow Blur at Quality, Shadows at High will look as good.
    If these corrections are not enough for triple screen, there's Track Detail which can be lowered, then Environment Reflections.
    Textures and Opponents at Ultra with Anisotropic filter at x16 may need a lot of VRAM, expecially for triple screen. Keep VRAM usage under control, it's better not to exceed its limit. If I had to compromise, I'd rather sacrifice Opponents instead of Textures, because the tarmac texture depends on the latter.
    In my opinion, you should do tests with Auto FPS set to Off because it automatically drops models like buildings or visible cars overriding the other settings. I'd use that just as a last resort, in case you have a long race and you want to be sure that FPS don't get too low in every condition.

When you suggest overclocking, consider that GPU from many makers, such as Zotac, have higher frequencies out of the box compared to stock specifications. Always check if the heat-sink can handle the rise in temperature of the even higher frequencies/voltage that you apply. To do so, you can monitor the GPU temperature. Ideally, VRM and VRAM temperatures should be monitored too but almost every card doesn't have sensors for those. The GPU would be better not exceeding 85°C. Higher temperatures lower the card's life span. GPU temperature higher than 100°C damages the card irremediably. Some cards are likely to fail even with lower temperatures. I'm sure you know all of this, but many people don't and it's better to warn them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    atomed likes this.
  7. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

Do you mean that without vsync FPS never drop as low as 45? It happens only when synchronization is on?
    Are you running Fullscreen or Windowed Fullscreen? Try again with the former and see if it gets better.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Thank's but these settings are awesome for me.

9. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Yes, without vsync its 80-130 fps. And i can max out everything but PP is medium. Im already running in borderless window mode. With vsync on fps sometimes drop to 45, even with really low settings. If i would use more lower settings, it would look like rf1 :)

10. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Yep, with single screen i can max out everything @144hz with 144+fps. But haven't tried with vsync on

11. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

But did you try with Fullscreen instead of Borderless Fullscreen?

Alex72 likes this.
  12. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

Not now with vsync. Will try later when I'm home.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

People have been warning him about PP, shadows and reflections for a while
    The auto detail fps is actually usefull at the start of the race so in the hardest conditions you'll have this working and keeping that fps you wish, this way you dont have to put your settings down due to something that may take one lap or 2. Content need to be properly made for this tho, looks like it's not happening totally even with DLC stuff :rolleyes:

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Contrary to what is commonly said, the difference in graphic quality between PP medium and PP high is huge (especially at night), and PP high vs ultra, the difference is real but less (I see it).

Same, between rain on high and rain on ultra, the difference is great, especially if you play in 4K.

Why do not you test, I do not have such incredible eyes.

15. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

I did not use the feature much, it looked like that with Auto Detail FPS, if models are dropped they remain invisible for the rest of the race. Maybe I'm wrong.

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

hmm didn't happen here I think, the models would drop only while the fps was bellow the setting, as soon as things got above it the game would put everything back to its place

d0nd33 likes this.
  17. Juwe Lahann

Juwe Lahann Registered

I've tried all three modes now, normal Fullscreen had the best overall performance for me, but fps still below 60fps sometimes.
    Then i found the problem: The sh***y "aggressive threading"- box in the rf2-starting-screen-option-menue was checked...la-lalaa :rolleyes:
    Now it's fine. Was even able to increase the graphics quality a bit more like before

d0nd33 likes this.
  18. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thats strange. I run triple 1080p with 60hz/FPS and vsync. Or i did, now i run with this value limit in RTSS. Still have the small tear once in a while, but previous to this i ran vsync at 60FPS with both GTX980 and RTX2070 and no dips under unless it was in heavy rain or night racing (still dont understand why night is heavier... Lights cast no shadows after all, but it just means i dont know how these things work lol). :D

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you want to 'see' why the night impacts fps, drive around and follow a car until it pits. The moment your lights no longer illuminate anything in front of you except track objects, your fps should really climb.

20. Filip

Filip Registered

I am not using Riva anymore. It was far from perfect. On some occasions it was smooth up to some point and then I would get nasty stuttering.
    My only solution was to lower resolution. I went from 1920*1080 to 1440*900 and my fps increased up to 50%. But most importantly I am not getting microstutters anymore.
    It never occurred to me to try lower resolutions, I thought it would be all grainy and ugly but it is not that big difference.