Rf2 Installation, setup and others for a newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lynx75, Jan 14, 2019.

1. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

Hi All,

Let me introduce I am a true fan of GT cars and sim racing games. I was loving my Grand Prix 3 in the past century :), I am above 40th so the last time I've played with sim car game was too many years ago (I've played AC on PS4 couple of years ago BTW).

OK, let's start. I was reading on many forums about sim racing games and I've ended up with Rf2. Here some questions (newbie questions):

Rf2 has to be downloaded and installed on my PC via Steam. Once the Rf2 is installed on my computer:

- Shall I purchase the Rf2 GT3 pack as add-on?
    - Will the Gt3 pack be automatically installed on my current Rf2 (after purchase it)?
    - Is immediatly available after the installation?
    - I've a TS 300 Alcantara edition wheel/pedals so I am wondering which is the best set-up for FFB, etc?
    - Any type of advice are appreciate, or links to reading anything useful for the Rf2..

Thanks to all.

Note: I am going to the Rf2 family :)

Alex72 likes this.
  2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Pretty much yes to all your questions but after purchasing dlc I'd advise closing the launcher if it's open. When you reopen it steam will check your inventory.
    When you configure your wheel make sure to click on the detect button this helps to find your hardware.
    Any problems post here and someone will help you out. Nice bunch of people here.

Welcome to rF2 & S397 forum

Edit I will post my settings later off out right now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    lynx75 likes this.
  3. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

Thanks a lot for your message.
    Perhaps it’s a stupid question, do I need to have Steam application install on my PC to install rF2? Can I install rF2 via website only? Which is the best way of doing it?

Happy to be here .

Thanks

4. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Yes install steam first then go to the store, search for rFactor 2 buy it there.
    On the same page you'll find the DLC store but don't buy until your rF2 is finished downloading and working.

5. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

On the Thrustmaster wheel properties page I have everything on 100% Overall Strength of forces I advise you to choose.
    TM recommend having 65-70 but I use 100%
    Some people prefer to have spring & damper on 0%

These are my in game settings
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

I bet you end up with clipping like hell, but no good FFB.
    lynx, plz dont listen to this "advice". you will damage your wheelmotor in the long run. thats why TM recommends max 70% strength

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I run 70-75% in T300 settings (much better detail even though its less strong and you save your motor) and in the sim i have "car specific FFB mult" depending on car and how strong the FFB is in them, so basically 0.60-1.00. "Smooth" i have 0-2 again depending on car. Some cars have a "scrape" so upping the smooth a step at the time will make you feel when its good. "FFB minimum torque" is also depending on car. Between 0-8.0%. The trick with this last one is to up it until you notice the Wheel oscillate. When that happens dial back the value a step at the time until it stops. That makes non-DirectDrive Wheels feel initial FFB forces much faster which is the Point of this setting.

In the Thrustmaster T300 settings i also have, besides the 70-75% overall strength as mentioned above, the 2 first values under it set to 100% each. The rest is 0% like "spring" and "damper". Leave Everything else as is.

You will love rF2 for its incredible physics, FFB and feel. :) I advice you to test some of the old school powerful cars on Belgium '66 track (old Spa). Hold on tight my friend cause its gonna be a wild ride. ;)

Oh, and turn on the fan in the T300 Wheel when you drive. You hold 2 buttons at the same time for a few seconds and release them. I cant remember right now as im at work. Look it up. Its good to cool the motor when driving.

Also, welcome!

GPNeville, lynx75 and Akela_DE like this.
  8. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

Thanks a lot for your advices and your welcome to the rF2 family :) .

Over these days I am going to finish my PC build then I will install Steam on my new PC and download rF2 first then the GT3 pack. I am going to following your advices and also set my TM to the 70-7'% overall strenght without burn my TM 300 motor.

To share with you my new PC specs are:

- Intel i7 9700k
    - Asus ROG Z390 e-gaming motherboard
    - Samsung 1 TB ssd nvme
    - Asus RTX 2080 Dual OC 8GB

I presume I can set rF2 game graphic to high specs, I think at least.

I will let you know the outcome post installation and config.

Thanks for your advice and welcome.

Alex72 likes this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yes you can! Look at my specs. I run maxed on triple 1080p monitors. That is going to be a great experience with your new toys.

lynx75 likes this.
  10. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

Hi All,

I am back, thanks to GrimDad for nis message. I am pasting here what I’ve done so far.

Over the weekend I’ve tried to configure rF2 where I could, honestly I have to familiarize with the configuration menu. I like the sim racing so much, I am a true fan of GT3 cars. I’ve been trying all available cars.

This is what I am “struggling” with (I am still studying/learning):
    - understand the meaning of each controls, at the minute not able to find a guide to explain briefly the meaning of each option (tc override, brake bias, etc). I cannot find something specific to explain each control options.
    - its not clear what type of options/controls I can configure for the GT3 cars, do I need to get into the practise/qualify/race to configure the buttons related to the gt3, maybe?
    - not able to change mirror views eveng if I was following the instructions (https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/mirror-adjustment-guide-and-tips.60593/) for sure I am doing something wrong
    - pits: I’ve tried some pit stops but the car is automatically lift but I cannot restart nor I can select any options as fuel, repair, tyres etc. - I did not try automatic pitstop yet.

I have to do more practise and learing and customize rF2 for my needs, what I am struggling most is to configure the buttons that I need to race and keen to learing all the possible way to race as best as I can, I need only time (I am a father and 2 children's take most of my free time) but I never give up.

If you may share all the documentation available for rF2 please share, this forum having a lot of the information anyway.

I cannot judge FFB, I have TM 300 Alcantara edition so Ive copied this configuration from the user DrivingFast linked below
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/t300-ffb-settings.61329/page-2

Any information you may provide let me know please.

GrimDad likes this.
  11. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

lynx75 likes this.
  12. Kaitsu_69

Kaitsu_69 Registered

Hi, you really need to assign some buttons for GT3 cars and yes there is too many to me. Mirrors you can adjust same buttons as seat with shift and Ctrl. Assing lcd menu navigation buttons and one to change that view, if you assign pit stop request button it will change lcd menu automatically where you can choose tyres, add fuel etc.

lynx75 likes this.
  13. lynx75

lynx75 Registered

Searching on Youtube I found some videos for rF2 setup,

Also I am reading the guide available at racedepartments.

Said this the game is amazing. Just find out which is the best ffb from my t300 alcantara edition especially feel when the car understeer. This weekend I will do some practise

14. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

599xx_button_config.jpg

This is how my wheel is setup but bear in mind I also use a button box for loads more functions.
    I keep these controls for all my racing sims. This helps when trying to remember what button does what.

Knowing which buttons to have on the wheel requires you to drive the cars, you'll soon learn where the pit limiter should be :)
    What others have said they feel they need on the wheel is a good starting point but what you want will come in time.
    A button box helps alot for adding more functions in game... http://derekspearedesigns.com/black-max-ii-classic.html

Driving the cars teaches you what you need to control the sim. It takes time to get it how you like it.
    More you drive quicker it happens.
    The mirrors, which to adjust you must first configure the seat movement keys.
    I use keyboard arrow keys. Look in controls / seat.

You need to be in the car on pitlane so you have things to see in the mirrors / Press left shift & hold down then using the arrows/seat keys to move the mirrors. Crtl (held) + arrow keys = left mirror & Alt (held) + arrow keys = right mirror.

The rest of the keys combos are in that guide.
    Start enjoying driving those GT3 cars

lynx75 likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

@GrimDad Are those knobs above the buttons with steps? Like 10 on each or similar? Think im gonna pounce on that button box when i can.

16. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

They're rotary switches they turn left & right each click left counts as another button press and 16 clicks = 360 degrees rotation.
    I use them for: brake bios front rear- tc higher lower - rollbars up & down

I always planned to label what each button was for but never did. I use the same functions in every sim and just remember what is where even when wearing my oculus.

Alex72 likes this.
  17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Awesome. Definitely buying one. Thanks for linking it, bud.

GrimDad likes this.
  18. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

You wont regret buying a button box from Derek Speare Design they're well made and for me personally it's never let me down. You will wonder how you managed without one.
    Highly Recommended!

Alex72 likes this.
  19. Danny Wilde

Danny Wilde Registered

Elgato Stream Deck - A Good Sim Racing Button Box?

GrimDad and Alex72 like this.
  20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thats pretty damn slick. Especially being able to add your own icons to each button. Cheers for the tips.

GrimDad likes this.