S397

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by patchedupdemon, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Well, everything takes time and effort. With more people they could make better finished dlc and fixes for other problems without delaying the progress on other things like the new ui and future dlcs.

2. bwana

bwana Registered

Jump in , buckle up and drive , all your problems will dissolve .

Grey, Nitrometh, jayarrbee36 and 4 others like this.
  3. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Well that's its ladies and gentlemen. At its core rf2 is unmatched for the raw driving experience its amazing. Just wish we had everything else more consistent and polished. but as bwana said once you do most is forgotten!

patchedupdemon and bwana like this.
  4. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

It's starting to get boring to find these "I love you but you suck" posts everywhere because of some minor visual issues in the DLC.
    Really guys, you should spend less time staring at the cars and more time driving them.
    Or if you really can't stand how it looks then don't buy it, but it's not like any of you started playing rF2 for its graphics, did you?

And yes, they did state they'd release the cars with the new shaders which are WIP.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

Yup, precisely why I haven't yet purchased the Challengers pack. I'm taking a stand against "early access" purchases(*). At the time I pay money, I want all the cars with their painting templates. As I write, all the cars are there, but not the templates, so no purchase yet.

(*) unless I'm really, hugely aroused, er, interested.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

not as boring as hearing the above statement vo eh?

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  7. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

While Russ has stated this in his usual "inelegant" fashion, he's not entirely wrong...

I though two things when the new GTE pack was announced and due for release so quickly: first was "yay, they listened to provide a second pack" and the second was "uh oh". I'm pretty sure many had the same reaction. Really, did anyone not think that pack release seemed massively rushed? And if it is, there's highly likely to be problems with what they do release. I mean, it was pretty much expected by me.

I bought the pack anyway.

The fact that the Aston was released 'later', doesn't really bother me. I'm prepared to wait, there are no league events or anything I'm relying on that content for and probably no-one had any long running series or anything needing that to be in it. But it was pretty poor when it was released, and its not just the graphical models of the Aston (and some of the others have them too, like the rear wheels on the BMW not being centered in the wheel arch). The balance-of-performance between cars in this pack wasn't right, and they aren't balanced to the previous pack either. Other threads document the issues with the BMW physics. I kind of have the feeling that the first pack, they got CAD data from the manufacturers in order to build the 3D models, and maybe this set, they didn't have all the CAD and relied on manual modeling and that's why some of it looks off.

So the REAL question is, are these things going to get fixed, or have they already moved on to the next content they want to release (in a rush, like the last 2-3 packs they've released in the same way and with similar issues)? The one thing S397 cannot get a reputation for, in my opinion, is releasing substandard content and then not fixing it timely. And they haven't been doing so, much of the content released over the past couple of years has issues not resolved. Certainly iRacing have their issues, but as Russ said, high quality content releases with reasonable fixes (other than things like pogo, landmines, meatballs/damage repair) isn't really on that list for the individual pieces of content, but fundamental issues in the sim that affect everything.

So he's not wrong: S397 have proven they can release good content and be updating technologies in the engine (PBR/shaders, laser scanned tracks) as they go. But its time to step it up and do a better job in release content quality at launch and not have so much felt to be rushed when they do release it. Take the next step.

8. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Go play PCars2 then, I'm sure you'll love it ;)

kimbo likes this.
  9. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I wish I could put my thoughts to paper like that, but I’m admittedly a bit thick, by the way how do you know my name

10. patchedupdemon

That’s not an answer though is it, we want the people who play other sims to come to rf2, not the other way round

2ndLastJedi and DaREALMastaD like this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

First pack has been released for more than a year and some things haven't been fixed yet. Dont hold your breath.
    BoP talk is difficult because I think 99% of people that talk about it have no qualification to so (if the person isn't an alien and a setup expert shouldn't mention that, IMO. Unless it's obvious BoP like refuel flow that has been broken since release).

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  12. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I'm not too invested in making rF2 the number one game in steamcharts. Everyone is free to play whatever they want. Just tired of people overreacting over MINOR visual issues.

13. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

You are free to ignore people who overreacting over MAJOR visual issues.

14. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I know you from the iRacing forums. It's style thing. You'd probably recognize me from there as well. But you'll have to go back a ways, because I am perma-banned from their forum for one too many rants at Tony Gardner.

And no, you're not thick. You've identified the issue quite well on how reputation impacts success. My "more polished" prose doesn't stop me from losing my rag and getting banned either!

patchedupdemon likes this.
  15. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Sounds good. Welcome to my ignore list

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  16. patchedupdemon

Do you want rf2 to succeed far into the future as I do, well unfortunately that means they need more people buying it and spending money.
    I’ve been called a rf2 fanboy many times, which admittedly I have been, but there comes a point where you just say no, it’s not good enough, we have to push the devs and not let them become complacent because rf2 has the best tyre model and physics

And by the way, having an lcd that doesn’t display the correct live info is not a minor issue at all

2ndLastJedi and DaREALMastaD like this.
  17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

18. Filip

Filip Registered

Do you want rf2 to succeed?
    Are you sure you know what is best for rf2?
    Would releasing bug-free content but at a slower rate bring more users/sales (if we define success like that)?

19. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Yes, I'm able to put up with a rough edge on a side panel I'm never gonna see while I'm driving for something i barely paid $20 for :D

Some people had already reported the issues in a number of threads, we didn't need a new one to keep repeating things over and over but I'll let you guys keep at it

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  20. patchedupdemon

Is releasing wip content as dlc and then taking months to fix stuff the way to give people the perception rf2 as apackage is in good hands

The other would definitely give people confidence to buy the content knowing it was done to the best level possible, and not rushed with issues that get pushed further down the ladder of the fixing list

2ndLastJedi and mr.Sw1tchblade like this.