sayonara

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Jan 17, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The power brick on my ffb wheel has died for the 4th time. Don't know when or how I will be able to replace it. Cheers, Good luck all.

2. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

:( Hope you can be up and running again soon.

3. philrob

philrob Registered

what wheel Dave ? you never know what guys here have lying around.
    Good luck.

Alex72 likes this.
  4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

What wheel do you have, Dave?

5. Comante

Comante Registered

Fourth power brick? I would inspect your home electric grid, there could be some problem.

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Or too high overall ffb setting. Its not uncommon. I had 90-100 overall first and then with good advice i lowered it and got amazing detail i didnt feel before plus that power/heaviness through ffb mult really is enough. Of course Daves issue might be something else as you said.

7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

My clients who live in the country suffer from an unstable power grid with lots of spikes (when an excess of voltage is briefly sent through the grid).
    Other clients live in a lightning prone area.
    They all suffered from power bricks dying (laptops, PCs, TV's) and this was rectified by installing SurgeArresr Power Strips.
    This has to be plugged into an earthed wall socket otherwise it does not function.
    https://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/cate...ion-devices/surgearrest-home-office/N-138bjqb

McKiernan likes this.
  8. Filip

Filip Registered

Which wheel?
    So I don't buy it. Ever. :D

9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

We have protection built into the system. Happy for that. But even so i have extension plugs with protection from spikes as well. Double condoms. :D

EsxPaul likes this.
  10. Comante

Comante Registered

Blowup condoms are far more dangerous than blown up power bricks.. :D

Alex72 and EsxPaul like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Condoms don't cost 199.00 US Dollars to replace. For the Record, it was a Thrustmaster TS-PC. I very much enjoyed the wheel, when it was operational. The deaths occurred in two different towns, in both new and old houses. We have Hydro power that is not known for spikes, we have in this area underground power lines and rarely get thunderstorms this time of year. (and they certainly don't rival the storms I witnessed when I was in Texas) I kept the brick on a separate Power strip(after these previous failures) and did not turn it on til after the system was fully booted. I always turned off the power strip before leaving windows but only after the cooling fan in the base unit was done. I suspect I have some sort of USB power spike, but I've done everything I could think of to prevent that. Needless to say, I'm burnt out myself. g'day mates!

12. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

My guess is it’s overheating due to fan failure or the fan is not cooling the motor sufficiently .

Maybe that’s why you blown 4 power bricks .

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie From some googling I found someone mentioning a flaky USB connection being to blame, and TM even admitting/advising that unplugging the USB cable while the wheel's in use can cause issues (didn't find anything from TM directly, mind you). But then people criticising TM hardware, then others saying logitech is the same, and we know G27s etc are nearly bulletproof. For you to lose 4 bricks certainly suggests something other than the wheel itself, whether it's a USB problem or power circuit issue I wouldn't speculate on. Sucks anyway.

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Sucks for sure, glad I kept my dfgt for when or if my t300 dies, that wheel is like a cock roach, radiation can’t kill it

felthat, Alex72 and Louis like this.
  15. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Almost 2 weeks ago my Thrustmater TX died without any apparent reasons, it was out of warranty so i bought a TS-PC. Well, today it died in the exactly same way :( I think is something related to the USB port, i don't exclude a power issue but i doubt this is the cause, PC & monitors are in the same electric socket from ages, while my TS-PC was exactly in the same USB port of the TX. I also have a Blue Yeti mic which died some months ago, i'm not 100% sure but there are a lot of chances it was in the same USB port. Does this make sense? It's possible that a USB port makes so much damage??
    I'm waiting for a reply from TH support, and i'm also looking for a new MOBO, this really sucks...

16. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Thrustmaster uses piss-poor FET's. It wasn't power spikes that killed it.

17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

How long did you have your T300 so far? And anyone here for that matter? Ive had mine now for a few months. So far so good *bangs fists on wood* :D

18. Kobradelta1000

Kobradelta1000 Registered

Ts Pc Racer here since release- no failure on any component so far...

Alex72 likes this.
  19. d0nd33

d0nd33 Registered

That would explain a FFB problem I noticed at 100% of strength of my T500.

Some other flaws I've found:
    Very poor quality screws. I replaced some of them with higher quality ones (it's 3€ of screws...) because I've snapped the heads or destroyed the thread of the original ones.
    Bad coupling of pulley - wheel shaft: the pulley rattled too much and I had to add a spacer.
    The cooling of the T500 was insufficient for races longer than 1h in the summer. The fan was way too little for the job.
    I don't know whether different belts can be better, but the ones they've used have a lot of retention and it can be felt a lot by rotating the wheel when it's off.

At least the plastic is more long lasting than other makers...

The TH8A has the same poor quality screws. The shifter isn't even well designed since some gears don't get into position. Again, I had to use a dremel to remove some mm of plastic to allow more travel for the shaft so that the sphere of the grub screw would get into its slot. Travel that is still limited by the wrong design of the metal frame that holds the shaft. That or incorrect design of slots which had to be more close together for the shaft to lock in less travel.

In my opinion, the price for Thrustmaster equipment is too high for all these flaws.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  20. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I’ve had mine for 3-4yrs I think, using it 3-4 times a week

Alex72 likes this.