Strange artifacts make rF2 crashing with the Challenger Pack

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Nitrometh, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Hi guys.
    Up to now I´ve never had problems with rFactor 2. But yesterday it got me:
    I was driving the Aston Martin in Silverstone, when suddenly strange green, purple and yellow artifacts appeared on the screen. Then rf2 freezed and changed to the dekstop view. You could hear rF2 running in the background.
    I deleted cbash and shader folder and gave it a another try. The track loaded 100% and the "standings screen" showed up....with that strange artifacts. rF2 crashed to desktop and stopped workind.
    My screen went black for about 2 second, a message popped up on the bottom left of my screen.
    "Nvidia kernel driver has stopped working. Driver get restored" ( Sorry, English isn´t my native language)
    The screen went black again, and so on.
    I did a safe reboot and installed a older driver a had on the hard drive. (new installation)
    I restarted my computer normally and the screen went black again. Then I manually deinstalled this driver and after that a installed the latest nvidia driver for my gtx 680. The problem was gone.
    I did some GPU tests, bc I thought my card is going to die, Temperatures are about 61°C, so no thermal problem I guess.
    I started rF2 again (Silverstone, Aston Martin) and after loading the track, I saw the cockpit of the car is white, as some guys mentioned in other threads before. About a second after that, rF2 crashed again. :(
    Nothing has changed since the last time I enjoyed rF2. Just some updates for the challenger pack.

Did you have any clue, why this is happening?
    As soon as I am @home I will try if resubscribing can solve the problem. But I didn´t have any error message during the challenger pack installation.

Cheers guys! :)

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Even though the Temps are fine it still could mean the GPU is dying, it is after all an Old card but then you say the Tests were fine, How long did you run them for? and How long have you had the GPU?

As the Error points to the Driver/GPU there probably isn't much you can do with RF2, perhaps change Settings to see if that helps and if so you may be able to pinpoint the exact Setting that causes the issue. Also don't forget to Verify Files in Steam just in case something got corrupted, try with a fresh/default player.JSON file, different Mods/Tracks and try out other Games (anything not necessarily a Sim) to see if you have a similar issue after a decent amount of play time. :)

Nitrometh likes this.
  3. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Nitrometh and MarcG like this.
  4. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Thanks guys :)
    I have i now for about 5 years.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  5. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Hi guys!
    Now I know the Problem. My cars is dying.
    I did a fresh Windows install and as soon as I install any nvidia driver (it doesn't matter if old or new) the problem occures.
    Thanks again for your help. :)
    I don't know if I am gonna buy a expensive card. The prices are still high due to the bitcoin mining stuff. :(

6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Take it out and remove the dust around the ventilators (carefully, best with blowing it out).
    Artifacts and what is described is quite often caused by overheating and dust.
    Will you are in the computer, remove the dust from your PSU and CPU ventilator.
    If this does not help then try running the game with the PC case open.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ouch, thats horrible dude. Like i said, i have a ASUS GTX980 just lying here on my desk. I could possibly sell it to you cheap. Problem is i dont have Money to send it right now today. I get paid next friday. Dont know if its interesting to you. We could talk about it otherwise if you want.

6a350863-00bc-44c0-9100-bc83a570648f.jpg

Nitrometh and GrimDad like this.