Flat tires. How would you know?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Jan 7, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I managed to slap some armco rather hard and the Crew Chief App stated I had a flat left front tire. Ok, I could feel some of that. I could still control the car but it spun a time or two when the road dropped away. But looking at the tires LCD screen, there was no way of knowing the tire had deflated. The wear rate stayed equal to the other tires and the temps also stayed in similar ranges. If I had not had Crew Chief running, how would I have known what was causing the suddenly bad handling?

2. Comante

Comante Registered

I didn't know tires could deflate in rf2. I knew that a tire could be ripped off, I hope to know more, very interesting.

mantasisg likes this.
  3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah, never seen that either in rF2 - so far. :D

A sound for tires exploding from impact like a pop/bang would be nice so you can hear it.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

You should crash more :) , there are several mods that allow tire detachment.

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I've had wheels torn off, I've never had a tyre torn off.

6. Filip

Filip Registered

I don't know how it looks from the outside but CrewChief claims tyre puncture.

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Maybe thats the issue. CrewChief reports "flat tire" but in rF2 they are just "broken". Might be, and the "puncture" line is coming from AC or any other title that has puncture.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah be careful with Crew Chief, I've done driving with Damage turned Off and when I've hit a wall he says I may need to come into pits for repair!
    Wheels are certainly ripped off and are shown as Black (IIRC) in the LCD Screen page, actual punctures I'm not sure though.

9. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

From the shared memory map
    Code:
    class rF2Wheel(ctypes.Structure):
    <snip>
            ('mPressure', ctypes.c_double),                           # kPa (tire pressure)
    <snip>
            ('mFlat', ctypes.c_ubyte),                                # whether tire is flat
            ('mDetached', ctypes.c_ubyte),                            # whether wheel is detached
    That doesn't prove anything but that memory map is what CrewChief uses.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The icon indicated the tire was still there. And the handling when turning was certainly compromised, although somewhat manageable. My last thought, after signing off for the night, was to check the pit-in board to see if one of the tires was singled out or not. Most likely it would just indicate repairs. I'll try and remember to check that next time.

11. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

It can happen when racing ovals.

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

The damage file does reference tyre cut due to impact (dull and sharp). Whether or how it is implemented, not sure.

13. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I recently simulated 24hrs of Spa using Apex GT3, SLS. I tried to make it to the finish without pitting, and front tires had less than 10% life left. On last lap, at full speed, just before Eu Rouge, car started spinning and Chief announced, "flat tire". I do not have replay, but I do not think I hit anything, it really felt like tire exploded :) One suspicious thing is that engine got on fire too, but I believe that happened after I eventually hit the wall, and before tire going flat. Don't mean to spread misinformation, just sharing fun and deep experience.

14. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

There should be a sound when tire explode. Wonder if thats hard to code into the sim? Here's my uber knowledge in coding (you can use this if you want S397): "WhenTire=black, PlaySound pop.ogg".

:D

Vinny Paul and The Iron Wolf like this.
  15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I've had flat-tires in AMS and it's quite obvious as it could be felt in both the wheel and in tactile effects.

Alex72 likes this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yep me too. Never noticed it in rF2 but that is maybe because i just havent driven rF2 as much as AMS (since i got rF2 long after i got AMS) and since i got rF2 i have driven kinda responsible racing and tried to behave myself and improve rather than play around. Of course i have been drifting cars i shouldnt drift, but nothing too bad. :D

RaceNut and PieterN like this.
  17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I had flat tires in AMS too when the tire was like bellow 10% left, both rear tires exploded. Never happened in rF2 but I'm not sure I ever had a tire going that low

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

IIRC, I had the flat after contact with a wall or other cars.

19. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I have had 2-3 flat tyres this year and without Crew Chief I would have not known anything.
    In rFactor 1 the flat tyre would start flashing on and off in the HUD.