Aiw file for steam track

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by trollray, Jan 6, 2019.

1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hello guys,
    i have a problem when changing an aiw path for a track from the steam workshop.
    My idea is not to harm or steal the work of another but sometimes some tracks are nearly unplayable in single player.
    So i know how to create the aiw file in devmode and my results are pretty great i would say ;)
    But when i try on a steam version of a track, it disapear from the list in my rf2.

I do it like that:
    i have the new mas file created with the new aiw path inside.
    That is normal and work perfectly with non steam tracks, but it seems like any change in any file from the track in folder Intalled/locations/name of the track make it disapear from the choice menu in rf2.
    I have try to repack to another new track name but that was not working too.
    Any idea?

Again, i don't want to diffuse my work without ny permission from the author of the track but if i can do it for my personnal use that would be a first step.

After that, if the results are pretty good, i can contact any of the authors and send them my aiw. They can diffuse it or not ;)

Thanks for your help

2. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

I've been doing that in a number of steam tracks and never had any issues.
    The way I do it is when packaging the files, choose the exact same name as the original track but add a letter "b" to the version.
    So for example if the original track version is 1.02, I rename it to 1.02b. Then copy the new package to "Packages" folder and install.
    It always works for me. I can even after unsubscribe from the steam track.

3. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I ll check it and let you know.
    In any case, thanks for your help

4. Stevy

Stevy Registered

wow great,
    someone who cares about singleplayer.
    Maybe you can contact the author of the upload and ask him to update his track with your new AIW path ?
    Or ask for permission to upload it yourself ? So other people would benefit from your skill too :)

bhendrik likes this.
  5. trollray

trollray Registered

@fsuarez79
    Hi, it works great, thanks for the tip.
    All i must do is just specify a new version in packaging as you said (b or 1.1 etc).
    @Stevy
    Yes i'm very concerned about single player.
    Not because i don't like multi but because it's more time consuming to play online a complete we gp.
    Offline i can save it and come back later ;)

For my aiw files, i'm still learning but the ai is far more chalanging and not type in a wall like stupid nobrainer ;)
    I'm just very impressed of the potential of this ai that i only saw in isi's work (tracks) or few other creations.

I'll do a video comparaison with a track from 1988 mod.
    Carrera4 did a fantastic job but at some track ai slow downs in corner and some other parts hit the walls stupidly.

If my work can please some, i would be very pleased to offer modestly something other than "Many thanks" to all of the modders ;)
    Cheers

Lars, Hazi, bhendrik and 1 other person like this.