Porsche GT3R - Wrong implemented Dash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karaya2, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Karaya2

Karaya2 Registered

I just watched a stream and noticed some major flaws with the Porsche GT3R dashboard

Rev-Lights are wrong implemented
    They are building up from the left, till rev-max is reached and start to flash all together if the cars RPM are (near/at) the rev limiter to indicate the driver to upshift. rFactor 2 is building them up from both sides and they meet at the center, this is not like the real car. Here is how it should work instead.

Here is a video how it looks in the real car:

Wrong usage of left and right LED bars
    The LED bars on the left and right side of the “ICD Display” are not used as rev-lights in real life. They are used to indicate a range of errors or special circumstances.

Here is a manual of a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup (2015) that has the same dash as the GT3R and should work as reference:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1063512/Porsche-2015-911-Gt3-Cup.html?page=265#manual

This manual contains detailed information about all pages of the “ICD Display”, as well under what state these LEDs are lit up.
    • One example for their usage is the top left LED light will flash, if the front wheels lock up (Page 283)
    • Another usage is during active pit limiter or if low on fuel warning (Page 282)
    Dash looks stretched
    As you can see by comparing the Font in game with the recording from the real car, the font is stretched or more like the whole dashboard is not matching the frame of the 3D model (aspect ratio) so it looks stretched.

Gear Number wrong Color
    The gear number should be yellow, not white.

Pit limiter engaged missing
    Currently there seems to be no indication that the pit limiter is engaged. Since rFactor 2 is enforcing penalties for speeding in the pits, this is a must have on the dash. The real thing shows a big “Pit speed” with the current speed all over the dashboard, as well as a red or green background, to show the driver if he is too fast or within the speed limit (Page 279)

rFactor2 - Dash
    [​IMG]

Real Car - Rev Max (right before LEDs starting to flash)
    [​IMG]

Real Car - Wheel slip at corner exit (Video)
    [​IMG]

Considering that rFactor 2 is calling itself a simulation rather than a game, these things should be addressed by the Dev's.

Currently the dash looks like a light show, please fix it.

marmagas, Toro, Ozzy and 11 others like this.
  2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

imagine a shader called "Real car" :)

3. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Agreed. The dash is terrible in this car. I'd like to see the tire slip lights working for all GTE/GT3 cars as well. This is something that is implemented in every other sim that I can think of.

4. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Yes it would be nice to have that corrected. Is that RL dash switchable by key or static ?

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I usually care much more about physics, not the looks, but this is quite disappointing, especially obvious things like rev indicator and wrong usage of side bars. @Marcel Offermans will it be fixed?

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  6. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Registered

I'm with you on this one. I rarely complain about graphics when it comes to rF2, and am very glad we got the pack before x-mas, but I hope this will get fixed in the future. Cars are divine to drive, now if the team can work on small details such as the one mentioned above hopefully more and more people will get attracted to rF2

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  7. TJones

TJones Registered

There's not much they can do ATM with existing technology behind, i'm afraid. There are code changes necessary, to fully support modern dashboard technology. Be sure, the developers are aware of this, they may do the work, if they find enough time.

The Iron Wolf and M D Gourley like this.
  8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i like when i see a Dash same as the real car thats why i bought some dash programs like simhub and sin dashboard for my table and mobile phone.
    also i like to see same dash in games like pcars 2-Iracing etc

9. DEK

DEK Registered

The dashes especially the 911 look very URDish . They had the same one in their Darsche GT.
    I reckon Alex in the credits of the game so I think the cockpits came from there.

10. Andregee

Andregee Registered

There is nothing to fix till the slip indicator function is implemted. They will ad it
    Thats the point. The slip indicator function is not part of the game code actually. The developers have already confirmed that they are working on it. So there's no reason to discuss it here furthermore

11. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Great, but how about other issues like with rev lights indicator etc.? I believe this doesn't require new implementation.

12. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

It's not "wrong", those dashes can be customised. It's a Cosworth ICD, and with Cosworth ToolSet software you can program the dash to work in anyway. You can make the side LED's work as shifters, or have them go from right to left. End of the day, there is no "right" way. There is a default setup for Porsche, but the teams can change it to their liking.

The Iron Wolf, avenger82 and TJones like this.
  13. TJones

TJones Registered

At first i have to say, i doesn't have really knowledge about modding. So everything i write here is "with reservation". ;)
    But what i heard from people who know better than me, is that you are somehow restricted about shift lights or rev. indicator functionality. A good example may be here the Mercedes AMG GT3 car, where the shift LED's start to light up far to early.
    For me there are quite a number of improvements thinkable.
    • more flexibillity of shiftlights, including fast flashing for "red zone" indication.
    • longitual tyre slip indication, possibility of show up acceleration and deceleration slip, with same LED bar but different color.
    • Delta time.
    • Multi page support, key binding to switch through.
    • More font's and text sizes.
    • show up TC, ABS, engine mapping, mixture settings ...
    Tyre pressure and surface temp are already possible, as we can see in the Corvette GTE car for example.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

in older sims, like GTR2, which was based on an updated rF1 engine. You could press the space bar to toggle thru various displays on the wheel/dash LCD.

Toro and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  15. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

In CART Precision Racing, released in 1997, you could customize fully the Pi dash.
    In IndyCar Racing II, released in 1995, you could swap pages on the dash by pressing a button.
    In 2019 in rFactor 2...

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.
  16. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

rF2 isn't that advanced yet.

Davide Arduini likes this.
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I am pretty sure I have seen something similar in rF2 allready, but that's not really the subject nor a proper solution for the issue mentioned in the OP.

18. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

lel, that's been here since F1 2002 at least... And rF2 does it as well... LCD mode it's called in the controls...
    Some mods does it.

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

rF2 needs some serious update on the cockpit LCD part. They are limited by the amount of stuff they can put there. One of the dev blogs said they may "add" some features but at costs of others, which means they wont increase the amount of things you can have there to cover the extras.
    Some others I think it's just incompetence like when the leds go on, they are just bad implemented in all cars. Many have just the last 2 or 3 leds on/off after 2nd gear, just bad. Considering the gears are locked there is no excuse for this really. Even mods with unlocked gears manage to get this better. Some cars the last led go ON when there is about 1k rpm left to red line, then there is no explanation if it should be like that (which I doubt because of homologation) or not.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    McFlex likes this.
  20. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

There is a fair amount but they could be improved.

In terms of the last RPM shift lights, you can decide this by adjusting the value. So RPM31 is the max you can go with but there is no reason why you couldn't have RPM30 as the max.