Crash Not Resolved For Me

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MuddyPaws73, Dec 26, 2018.

1. MuddyPaws73

MuddyPaws73 Registered

So I've had this issue since the last update. Whenever I get past the first screen in VR, the program crashes with no error message. I just go back to the desktop program.

I've deleted the bin64 and bin32 folders, which included the d3d9.dll file. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program on Steam...Verified files till I blue in the face but to no resolve.:(

Can anyone provide a suggested path forward to resolve my issue?

My setup is as follows:

i7-8700K | GTX 1080Ti | 32GB DDR4 | Asus Maximus Hero | Custom Cooling Loop | 1 TB Samsung 970 NVMe | PSU 850W | Windows 10 Pro | Fanatec Club Sport V2.5 Base V3 Pedals | HTC Vive Pro | GT Omega Pro | (2) NU1000DSP | (4) Buttkicker mini LFE | SimVibe

2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

If you are using a beta version of rF2 you need to opt out for VR to work.
    right click rfactor 2 in the steam library / properties / betas / select None opt out of all betas

I hope this helps you out

3. whitmore

whitmore Registered

The d3d9.dll can also be sitting under other folders. Search for the file in all RF2 folders. Mine was also found in the user data folder.

4. MuddyPaws73

MuddyPaws73 Registered

Thanks for the replies but neither of the suggestions had any effect.

I'm attaching screen shots of the Windows Application Events in hopes it provides information for people more knowledgeable than me to correct the issue.

Error.jpg Info 1.png

5. Rustybrush

Rustybrush Registered

I'm with you MuddyPaws73, have been unable to run RFactor2 since installing the new GT3 pack today. Was previously running the v1108 DX11 beta with a windows VR headset no worries at all, now I just get crashes during the loading screen before the garage, seems to be always around the 75% point no matter what vehicle or track combination.
    Have attempted the bin64/32 and verify fix and have also cycled through a heap of different betas as well as opting out of them which has made it even worse!
    I checked the windows event viewer and have a very similar log to what you've attached above.

6. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

I also can not start in VR, on start I get either grey screen in Oculus or balck screen. I've verified Steam install, untick Steam theatre, reinstalled redistributables, deleted player and controller JSON files, tried HMD=mirror and HMD only... Same result - grey screen or black screen :(
    Needless to say all other VR games are running perfectly.

7. Louis

Louis Registered

Trying to run original content?

edit: im saying this because rf2 is also crashing when trying to run f1 1975 mod. I think someone reported another third party mod tha also make rf2 crash but i dont remember which one

8. Rustybrush

Rustybrush Registered

Based on reading a number of threads overnight I’ve tried a number of things to no avail- unsubscribed from all workshop content, deleted all 3rd party content, uninstalled rFactor2 via steam and manually cleared the install location in explorer before then reinstalling via steam. Opens once (including VR) and then will not open again after that (crashes at launcher). Is there anything else we can try? My next step will be to roll back to 1108 dx11 and remove the new gt3 pack altogether. EDIT Trace log now attached. It appears a couple of workshop items did install but I still haven't resolved the issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. Rustybrush

Rustybrush Registered

Have now worked my way back through the Betas and back to the present day version 1112 (opt out of beta) and am back to crashing upon launching single player. Crashes regardless of VR or not. Have run a trace which I'll attach.
    Since my last post I have also run the latest windows 10 update and also did the runtime reinstall as per the pinned topic.
    The only content currently installed in this version is studio 397 content. Sorry to hijack your thread MuddyPaws73 - I'm hoping we've fallen victim to the same issue which will be resolved!!

Specs I'm running - Dell Inspiron 5675 (64 Bit OS) | Windows 10 Home (1809) | AMD Ryzen 7 1700x 8 core 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Thrustmaster TX Wheelbase | Fanatec V3 Pedals | Dell Visor HMD

Attached Files:

10. HERIC MARTINEZ

HERIC MARTINEZ Registered

Facing the same problems here but without the VR, the game just crashes at the start and comes back to launcher.

Just like @Rustybrush, i had tried unsubscribed from all workshop contente, never installed third party content, unnistalled rFactor 2 and installed again just to face the same problem still...

I ran out of resources, I got no clue what else I can do...

11. MuddyPaws73

MuddyPaws73 Registered

I'm using a Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5. With the wheel base turned off, RF2 starts and runs with no issues. Turn the base back on and it crashes after the track, car, etc. are loaded right before showing the pit area.

Rustybrush likes this.
  12. Rustybrush

Rustybrush Registered

You're onto something here, I just unplugged my Fanatec V3 pedals and was able to open rFactor all the way through to sitting in the pits.
    This is the first time v1112 has even got past the launcher for me. My Thrustmaster TX wheel base was plugged in the whole time and autodetected perfectly.

EDIT - Plugged V3 Pedals back in and was able to get to menu - but crashed when selecting control options or when attempting to Race.
    Downloaded/installed drivers from Fanatec (Fanatec_64_driver_311) and rebooted, was able to enter rFactor, edit controls and then define the throttle, brake, clutch and then successfully go through to a race!!!

13. MuddyPaws73

MuddyPaws73 Registered

So I got it running...

With the base off, I started RF2 and switched option / controller to keyboard. Next I closed RF2 and restarted with the wheel base turned on. I went in to options and chose the Fanatec base and the program crashed. Restarted and under option / controller it was still showing keyboard. I selected the correct Fanatec wheel and hit Race and all is well. Restarted a few times without issue o_O

14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

@MuddyPaws73 I use Fanatec V2.5 and have no problem here. Do you have the V3 pedals like @Rustybrush ?
    Just trying to narrow the issue down.
    You both may benefit from backing up your player.json and controller.json to another folder (so you have them if you need them) delete them from the \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player location or rename them eg: player.json.old and re boot rf2. This will give you a fresh player.json and controller.json. You then have to set up your controls again in game but it may resolve the issue.

15. MuddyPaws73

MuddyPaws73 Registered

Yes I do have the V3 pedal set.

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I use the V2 pedals and don't have an issue so that may narrow it down for the devs.

17. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

G29 and Oculus here :(

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@claudiopolez Try without VR. If the game works on a screen you have a VR issue (likely not the same as discussed here), if it also doesn't work you may have the same issue or another game issue.

19. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

The game starts no probelm without VR, all the crashes and black\grey screens are Oculus only. And permanent, VR game is completely broken for me no, zero workarounds even :(

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@claudiopolez don't be downbeat, you should check for other threads regarding VR issues or start your own - you have a different problem to this thread, so you'll probably get more VR assistance in a new one.

claudiopolez likes this.