Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Registered

Does anyone in here use a Pimax 5k+? If so, can you tell me what your graphics settings are?

I'm at SS 100%, AA at Level 2 (Level 3 drops me to 60fps or so), at Level 2 I'm getting 75+ fps currently, also I'm at Aniso 4x,

Other than the car looking good, the rest looks so blehhhh....

PC Specs are pretty high end so I guess it has something to do with the Wide FOV of the pimax pushing it to it's limit.

I have linked my Nvidia CP specs below also - maybe someone can tell me if anything should be changed around in them? https://imgur.com/a/0nKL6tW

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. proff chaos

proff chaos Registered

That's awesome. I have to wait till Xmas I guess..seriously, I got in trouble because the wife and child didn't know what to get me, and now she made me wait till xmas. No joke. (I should've opened the box before telling her)

But thats great to hear bwana, looking so forward to this now.

EsxPaul, Narrowbackwing and GrimDad like this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Angles tend to be deceiving when you're in them instead of looking at them on paper (you'll often hear people talk about walking or driving up a steep hill, and they'll swear it was 45° - feel free to tell them it definitely wasn't :)). In FOV discussions, and VR discussions, people look at footage on their own existing setup and don't understand at all that your own setup dictates how another setup will appear. It's like trying to judge a speaker system by listening to footage through your own speakers. (people do that too...)

I personally have 27" triples, and they're within arm's reach and provide good coverage, but let's say you have 32" screens at a distance of 65cm which is pretty close. Those triples will give you more than VR, yes, but that single screen in the middle is only 57° (horizontal), compared to VR with around 90, some more recent models looking to 110. So VR's not all that restrictive even sitting still, but then you can look wherever you want by just turning your head.

If anything the bigger issue is that you're taking a similar resolution and stretching it over a wider FOV than you do on a screen, making the pixels bigger/coarser and exaggerating the screen door effect. But then you read observations like Bwana's, where only a few hours in they aren't even noticeable because you're just concentrating on driving the car or whatever else you're doing, and you wonder if there really are any issues.

4. bwana

bwana Registered

Lol ,wifey wanted to wrap it but as she was already wearing her Apple Watch which was my present to her she didn’t have a leg to stand on besides l wanted it working ,bugs sorted before my bro in law who’s a single screen sim racer came over for Xmas lunch , haven’t told him yet so he is in for a surprise. Bet he’s ordered one before he leaves on Xmas day

proff chaos and GrimDad like this.
  5. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

I am having a problem that prevents me from using VR in rFactor. I have a Lenovo Explorer VR set with a fast computer and a 1080TI graphics board. Most programs run fine with settings at max, but in RF2, although graphics performance is fine, I am unable to form a stereo image. Instead, I see two slightly separated images (particularly in the menus, but also when looking at fairly distant objects on track). Both are in focus, but they don't superimpose to create the sensation of depth, which is quite annoying - for instance, I have to close one eye to be able to use the menus.

This only happens with rFactor, not with any other VR program (for instance, Project Cars 2 runs fine). Apparently the two images being generated are too far apart or something like that. I tried to fiddle with eye separation parameters in the device's settings in Windows, but that didn't change anything. Is there any parameter in the game itself that I could adjust to solve this?

6. proff chaos

proff chaos Registered

Thought of this today when I closed RF2 today and noticed it was still running...Are you using Logitech profiler by chance? I noticed that if I have profiler set up with my games launcher (.exe, ), I have to shut down the profiler like I did today if I don't use the profiler to start the game in the first place, if you know what I mean. So, if you launch the game via profiler, it will shut down properly without closing the profiler afterwards. But, if you use profiler for your settings and have the .exe routed through the profiler, and start the game via Steam launcher, then the game wont shut down unless you use task manager or close the Logitech profiler completely.

*or does this matter at all, since you have to start the game with "Steam VR" anyways? Just wondering...

7. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

No I use a thrustmaster t300 & fanatec csp v2. No logitech software at all.

To start rF2 I use desktop shortcut and when I launch the game steamVR opens. When I exit rF2 + close the launcher I then go to the small steamVR window click near the top of it and from the drop down I select quit.
    If you leave steamVR running it shows you still in rF2 and stops you launching any other steam game.

proff chaos and bwana like this.
  8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

SteamVR keeps running for me after I exit lately, not just with rF2. I have to manually stop SteamVR-related processes, even after closing Steam. Closing other sim-related programs doesn't help either. There are multiple instances of some SteamVR processes running. I'll try running a Registry-cleaner next.

9. Andregee

Andregee Registered

My old version is somehow smoother and cleaner especially while using ASW.

Maybe someone wants to check it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18QPKV0GDgXShEKFhZWQ2CBKnePHiUgzy/view?usp=sharing

No other version was so smooth like that. But the loading screen is missing.

10. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

Sorry, noob question: is the DX11 Open Beta still required to run RF2 with VR? I am facing problems with VR in the sim (see earlier post) and that could be the cause, because I am just running the regular version.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@aleph99 No. Opt out of all betas. That ended nearly 12 months ago.

Sorry, I made that sound like you had opted in. Don't opt in :)

12. aleph99

aleph99 Registered

Thanks, @Lazza. In the meantime I did opt in to see what would happen, but nothing changed, so I am back at the regular version (and still seeing double). It is a large download (11 GB). I think Studio 397 should edit that earlier information, because that page is where you end up when you are new to VR and look for guidance using Google.

13. flaviocarvalho

flaviocarvalho Registered

Hi guys

I recently bought a Lenovo Explorer VR and from day 1 it worked nicelly. I noticed some issues with smoothness but, I was more focussed in experience all of the other games than just jump straight to settings.

Well, it was then when my problem started. Today I bought dirt rally and in order to make it work with VR I had to download and install Oculus home and Revive. It worked good, but then when I try to play rF2 it crashes. I can load the launcher, then I select single player, select the track and car and it starts loading the game. But when it finishes, the game crash to desktop and the launcher continues to run in background. I have to do ctrl+alt+del to kill it so I'm able to do anything else.

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

P.S. sorry for my english. ;-)

14. Lars

Lars Registered

Have had the same problem. Do this:

Remove or delete the d3d9.dll file from the Bin32 and Bin64 folders

worked for me and many others:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/reported-crashing-with-new-build.61857/

flaviocarvalho likes this.
  15. bwana

bwana Registered

As expected he was instantly amazed and is ordering , had to slow him up a bit as his old 760 won’t cope ... “whole new experience, unbelievable !! “ was his opinion

JimmyT, EsxPaul, Sean_S36 and 3 others like this.
  16. flaviocarvalho

flaviocarvalho Registered

Thanks. ;) that solved my poroblem.

Now, anyone with the lenovo explorer can answer this: why the horizontal white lines look like they are "shaking"? I don't know a better word for this.

Also, anyone with WMR VR headsets (like samsung, asus, lenovo,etc...) with a Nvidea GTX970, that can share their in-game settings? With everything on LOW I can get 90fps average, but the game look like crap. :-D

17. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have Oculus CV1 and 780Ti, no WMR. Most important for FPS are setting shadows to low (or none?), reflections to low (or none?), PP to medium or lower.

The Iron Wolf and flaviocarvalho like this.
  18. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I've had to do that since day 1. Since I started using The Iron Wolf's version of openvr_api.dll I don't use steamVR any more. (only have to have oculus open now)

GrimDad likes this.
  19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

You don't have to have Oculus Home running either: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....hread-settings-tips.55249/page-85#post-967432 Though be warned it may not play nicely if you actually want to use Home and switch back to it with home.bat:

GrimDad, JimmyT and The Iron Wolf like this.
  20. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@JimmyT
    My rF2 VR works flawlessly by that I mean I get no stutters, good enough image quality & if I race AI there are 20 on the grid.
    I run on max settings except shadows on low with ASW off AA on 3, post effects on high & SS 1.7 in steamVR
    I never look at fps because it runs smooth.
    I'm reluctant to change anything tbh "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ;)

JimmyT likes this.