[REL] WeatherPlugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Stefan_L_01, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Cameron Rodger

Cameron Rodger Registered

@Stefan_L_01 Hi, seems wunderground will stop its API end of this year. Any chance the app with be able to use another API service like this? https://openweathermap.org/api
    maybe something to add into it? or is this only made for wunderground api

RoWo and Ernie like this.
  2. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Yes i am also very interessted in this as this is one of rF2 key features for online racing

Ernie likes this.
  3. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

If i'm not wrong, there is a way to edit a configuration file to use another site.

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

If I'm not mistaken, rfactor 2 will have the real weather implanted natively.

When, I do not know. But it's planned (source simexpo).

Probably with the new UI so in 1 to 4 months.

5. RoWo

RoWo Member

And that's where the problem begins. WU's API ends at the end of 2018. We don't know when the new UI is coming and we don't know if the first version of it will have real weather implemented.

6. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Hi guys
    Thx 4 interest. After a long time of inactivity I started again. The next days I may release a version that offers an alternative of Openweathermap.
    Now, in a private conversation I allready distanced myself from OW because the free subscription offers only 2h update update rate. But I started modyifieng the tool woth OW mainly for following reasons:
    It offers a free subscription without any credit card data or other.
    It is very easy to get the key
    The 2h may only affect forecast not current
    And main reason
    It just was a good alternative to reorganize code to deal with different data sources which makes it possible to add further alternative sources more easily.

I wrote Wunderground access in a way that weather station data data was used, if radar was unchecked. I think you can not get more real. Of course if the neighbour cares about his flowers and some water of his action hit the rain gauge of the weather station, you may have got desastrous showers ingame where real there was no rain since 2 month but hey, this is bad luck. Butterfly effect hehe.

OW will not provide real rain rate, just weather situations, light brizzle, heavy rain.
    You get what you pay for

Jego, Tim Schneider, lagg and 3 others like this.
  7. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you very much Stefan_L_01.

8. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Ok, a fast simple implementation of openweathermap is with V1.8 in first Posting for download.
    you have to manually enter geocoordinates. I find them usually in Google, Right click in map and select "what´s there", then it is shown.
    I have not implemented City lookup as tracks are not really in the middle of a City, Formel E is an exception of Course.
    There is no Radar mode as the data you get is probably processed by analyze of Radar Images before in the api. The data update rate seems to be not very good, but I have almost no experience with it so far. Maybe the data time stamp changes only when the weather Situation changed.
    In case data update rate is too poor (license: 2h!) you have to buy a better License or wait until I find a better one - at least one API is in my Focus, let´s see

9. Corti

Corti Registered

deceda and ceecee like this.
  10. RoWo

RoWo Member

Corti likes this.
  11. alehop69

alehop69 Registered

It doesn´t work for me. I have a OWM Api key, but I always get the "xml webquery failed" message....

Any help..???

12. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Maybe your geocoordinates are entered wrong? make sure the strings are like 55.123 without leading or trailing spaces or so to be sure. Use a dot and no comma
    copy this into your browser and add your key (appid), do you get a Response?
    api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?mode=xml&lat=55.1&lon=9.1&APPID=<yourappid>

or just wait a Minute, i´m updating a Version with a Auto lookup Trial..

13. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Ok v1.9 is up with a Auto lookup mode for geo coordinates. It´s insane what was required to get longitude and latiude out of rf2. I can not guarantee full functionallity, and it works only for non-encrypted tracks. For encrypted ones, Sebring for example, a Manual storage is available. Read the readme.txt for more info.
    It could have been so easy if the Plugin interface would give us lat/lon with the Scene call, plenty of strings available. But no… so it is the most crazy workaround I ever implemented

atomed, Ernie, yashiman and 2 others like this.
  14. ChazmR

ChazmR Registered

Link on first page is still 1.8?

Also I wondered how often are the calls for both Wunderground and OpenWeather and is there a way to change this at all?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  15. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Must have been the grinch…
    WU was limited to 3min or 6min with Radar. The number of calls allowed 24h nonstop Service that way. I kept 3min for OW because it is a reasonable short intervall. I´m still struggeling with the way cloulds Show up in the rf2 weather engine. But you can not smoothly roll in cloulds in 3min or less from low covered to high covered, this is understandable I think.

I made myself a hook Plugin dll to understand how Geralds dll is working and Setting Parameters and I understood he is making something fundamental different, so I am curently testing also for offline. But it makes you crazy, rf2 just does not allways do what you set regarding Clouds.
    Darksky is basically in but I have to test the Change logic a bit to avoid updates every 3minutes for minor weather canges which would make the rf2 engine crazy

16. DanaSmoky

DanaSmoky Registered

Great Job.. keep doing that way :)
    Waiting for V2.0 ;)
    Merry Chrismas and happy new year :D

17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

well i called it v1.10 but you are right, Maybe v2.0 would have been more proper.
    pls read the readme!

18. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

How can i solve this problem ?

Attached Files:

19. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Allow (named) pipes for your user

20. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

Please explain better