"Real grass" for the Nurburgring

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DrivingFast, Dec 21, 2018.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

"Real grass" for the nordschliefe is necessary.

I do not expect ultra-high definition 3D grass, but look what SMS did for Project Cars 2, it's not flat and ugly.

On Sebring, there is no "real grass", but in addition 2D textures are low detailed :

It lacks volume. If there is a track that deserves a good representation of the flora (trees, grass, flowers/bushes), it is the Nordschliefe.

torig likes this.
  2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

But then you'll moan that your FPS is struggling.

Mauro likes this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

A lot of the beautiful modded tracks have "real grass", including the Nords Laser, and I never have a specific performance problem with these tracks.

I do not think that's a good excuse.

In 2018, almost 2019, it is not normal to have official tracks with a false grass in 2D and flat.

It's up to S397 to find the right performance/"real grass" compromise.

4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It improves the look of a track massively. Forza motorsport 3 (2009) had 3d grass and it looks great and so i think it should be on everything by now.

5. Emery

Emery Registered

You'd want the ugly unrealistic & poorly-implemented "bristle-brush" grass of official AMS or AC over no implementation? Are you willing to wait the extra time for properly color-matched and height-set 3D and fps-optimized 3D grass to be implemented? Are you then going to demand that 3D grass be added to the library of existing tracks? If properly height-set 3D grass is added, can you even see it in VR or is it just a blurry mess? Will you turn better lap times because the 3D grass is there?

I'll agree 3D grass will slightly improve the immersion, but there are consequences to having it added, so understand what those consequences are.

6. fab06

fab06 Registered

i dont know the price for a speedtree licence but it's not free ;)

and all the old official track need some works after add speedtree on FR2 , its not free too ..

But reactived the sparks on RF2 before add a speedtree license .. it will cost nothing :D

Nitrometh likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I remembered this one :D

[​IMG]

I think for short grass/lawns vertical 2D grass fins aka 3D grass is not good option. It is great for taller grass. For short grass lawns good texture is the best thing IMO. But it has to be good.

Regarding Nordschleife, it has everything there.

8. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I made this request early enough I think in the production process.

At S397 decide to do like all the others (sim / simcade / arcade game) ......................
    or do differently, which I think is a mistake.

9. racer11

racer11 Registered

it's not "necessary"

Could not care less what the grass looks like. If you're driving properly, you're not looking at it.

David Kolody, Ho3n3r and Mauro like this.
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

It didn't look great in Forza Motorsport 3 with any stretch of imagination (pic). The problem with "3d grass" is that it's not really 3d grass, it's 2d billboard grass, at least in 99% of sim racing titles. 3d grass would be something like seen in Nvidia Turf Effects.

Most tracks have their grass cut short at least for race weekends, so adding huge grass would not be realistic anyway. Not sure what the situation with Nords is in this regard.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You can see GTS doing it right, by using the vertical fins just in some locations, to represent taller grass. And for the rest - really good textures/shading.

[​IMG]

But it is still incomplete. The very verges of grass doesn't give the effect of grass being a bit higher than tarmac. Also an additional normal map to create an illusion of more variation in relief of lawn surface.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    d0nd33 likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

The real question is, should we have laser scanned grass, but then what happens when it cut or left to grow, ahh I know it’s 2018-9 grass should grow and die in racing games and sims

13. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i tried my best thats all i could do

14. Emery

Emery Registered

The blades are way too tall in this example! I'd be asking my groundskeeper how much they'd been drinking to miss that badly while mowing and how long has it been since they mowed that particular spot. Artistically, yes, the color and placement is good, but they should be about 1/3rd that tall.

@LilSki is one of the few who get 3D grass right and he readily admits he makes the blades a little on the tall side.

15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

clouds-grass-enviroment light was things that they said they gonna fix back in september live stream from sin racing expo
    3D grass looks bad sorry
    washed out colors and light are things that they must focus
    cause even if they give us 3d grass if they light is dull nothing will look good

16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Maybe it goes a bit tall there. There are more examples from GTS, where it shows that it is really too tall, too outstanding in some places. However, you have to consider different kinds of weeds, you have to consider the different moisture levels in soil, you have to consider that some spots receives more sunlight and so on... You should also consider that your groundskeeper is also a human being lol

Of course modellers will want to use as tall fins as possible, because the shorter they will be, the more dense they will have to be not to look bad.

Emery likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Here is kool example from iR, they don't use any vertical fins, but they really has their normal maps good
    [​IMG]

d0nd33, Alex72, Nitrometh and 2 others like this.
  18. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I want grass that grows dynamically, like the real road system.

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

iRacing grass at Silverstone is pretty nice for something that old

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

I've always said that if you've got time to look at the very fine details you're going too slow or crashing too often.