GetMod Manager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Noel Hibbard, May 3, 2014.

1. wrxxy

wrxxy Registered

Thx Noel that's great to hear, you have saved most clubs a bundle of headaches...
    Can you just check to see if your donation links are working please..
    Thx again

SmellySkidmark likes this.
  2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

It should work.I haven't changed my address or anything. I saw a donation from you but it said canceled. I don't use PayPal much so I'm not sure what would cause that.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I reached out to Noel some years back regarding his GetMod service of the time, and he was kind enough to share his source. It's obviously a bit different to the current version (more legwork required, a small bug/quirk to workaround) but we've been using that on our server since. Very much a "what you see is what you get" fileshare, I'm also technically minded enough to work out any issues and not bother Noel.

I imagine he would have done the same had anyone else asked (I'm surprised if no one did), unfortunately putting it up more publicly does tend to lead to lots of "Help me!" posts and messages from people either discovering genuine issues or (mostly) from not doing it correctly and wanting their hand held.

I hope if Noel does package it up and release it for general use, people understand they need to have some idea what they're doing (or take the time to work it out) and the current users help any newcomers with any technical issues they post. But more than anything, and taking absolutely nothing away from what Noel has done and provided, I hope the game itself provides this functionality in the near future. It's well overdue.

Seven Smiles and SmellySkidmark like this.
  4. Depco

Depco Registered

Noel I am really happy you were able to get this working again. It is a magnificent tool and one I sorely missed as a server host. If you do decide to open the program up to distribution please let me know so I can install it on my server and use it independently for our league.

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

As @Lazza implies, never underestimate the work involved in getting from "The prototype works fine for me" to something easy for others to install and run, even if they do have "some idea what they're doing"!

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hello, can anyone confirm this is working for them at the moment?

I can login fine, I seem to be making the rfmod correctly (manifest shows correct URLs for content, also manifest on server shows correctly), everything looks fine on server connection, rfmod downloads fine, it says checking for missing content, then "Package not available".

I tried connecting through Steam instead of the launcher and it got me to the old-style rF2 UI where I had to manually click to download missing components, and then it had 5 attempts at downloading with each appearing to time out, and then it gave up.

The only possible clue I can see right now is that when I ping the srrs-racing site I get an IPv6 address rather than IPv4 for my own site (I've previously run our own getmod server on it, was comparing pings but they're very similar), but I don't know if that would be a factor.

*Ok, redid it all without change through the launcher, just tried Steam again and it worked. I might try limiting the cores as (much) earlier in this thread and see if that helps.

**procmask didn't help, but this is the 5th server running on a 4-core machine. I'll test tomorrow when I get some time and confirm. Still works through Steam which is interesting.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  7. racedriver

racedriver Registered

Is this tool also working for offline races?

8. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

Just a quick heads up, the GetMod service currently appears to be unavailable. @Noel Hibbard, if / when you get a moment would you please be able to look into this? Thanks in advance. :)

9. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

I can confirm that the service is back up and running again now! Thank you very much for getting that sorted so quickly - it is greatly appreciated! :D

10. jonno

jonno Registered

hi im trying to set up a server but keep getting package not available when others join. iv tried using your tool but every time i try to add a data path no matter what i pick it keeps saying its not a valid data path iv tried just the rf2 folder, packages folder tried making my own and still get the same issue.. iv literally got everything were it needs to be ports are open lobby runs fine people can attempt to join but are then greeted with the package not available i'm at a loss any help would be great even if its just to select the right data path cheers

11. jonno

jonno Registered

its all good now iv managed to sort it i was doing it all wrong lol

12. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel Registered

The GetMod service currently appears to be unavailable. @Noel Hibbard, if / when you get a moment would you be able to look into this please? Thanks in advance. :)

wrxxy likes this.
  13. Depco

Depco Registered

S397 really need to make an alternative to this so Noel doesn't have the keep getting it back up and running. Near as I can tell he hasn't actually been involved in rF2 in 3-4 years now. This responsibility should not fall to him.

Brent, wrxxy and DJCruicky like this.
  14. McFlex

McFlex Registered

There is one. It‘s called steam workshop.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It doesn't yet do what this tool does.

16. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Yes you are right, it's not 100% the same but what are you missing?

17. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

1. There are modders who seem reluctant to put their mods in the workshop.
    2. There are a number of modders with still popular content who have moved on. (Possible maybe to get their permission to upload to workshop)
    For me the final nail is the amount of extra space it takes to use workshop content. I would possibly double my storage needs for my non workshop content.

18. Bernd

Bernd Registered

One workaround to handle workshop content like manually downloaded content:
    - subscribe to a mod and let it download
    - cut the rfcmp file from it's subfolder in ..Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\365960
    - paste it into the folder from where you install manually downloaded rfcmp
    - unsubscribe and check if everything was deleted
    - install manually
    - repeat that, if you want updated versions

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unless I've missed something (quite possible), the game won't automatically subscribe you to content and download it when you try to join a server with content you don't have - including workshop content. Last time I tried it that didn't work, anyway. So even when I know a server is running workshop content, I need to go and subscribe to it, then join the server after download.

This tool allows a server admin to host the files somewhere and have them autodownload when people join. This also means league content (which is often not public, for good reason) can be handled neatly.

nonamenow likes this.
  20. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Ah yeah you are right. Only thought about it from the site of a league admin not for public hosting.

I think for league admins the workshop is even better. When updating cars/tracks thr workshop detects only the difference. You don‘t need to upload the whole file over and over again for every update you make. Donwside of the workshop is. You can‘t make a private one without a lot of work. Only possible functions are: hidden, private only for your steam friends and public. A hidden but accesible with a link or pw would be a nice feature. Like none listed videos on youtube

nonamenow and Lazza like this.