RTX 2070 8GB decent on triples?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex72, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Hello peeps. Just ordered a RTX2070 as i was checking out a new video card. Was going for 1070TI first but i found out the 2070 is almost the same price and another step up in power. I wanted to know if anyone have this card and is running triple screen in rFactor 2 and how it performs? Hoping i will be able to do triple screen at night and in rain finally. :) No need for ultra settings, but decent settings with no FPS drops under 60FPS would be incredible. Rest of my specs in the signature.

Cheers.

M D Gourley likes this.
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Well I only have a 1060 and can run triples with medium setting and hold 84fps average at most tracks in favourable conditions, but I mostly run online not with ai

The 2070 will easily do 60fps

Alex72 likes this.
  3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't have triples but VR, which should be similar challenging (probably even more). But I am in same situation. I want to upgrade from 780Ti and found out that RTX2080 are already cheaper than GTX1080Ti (which should have comparable performance). So buying a new GFX card, RTX2080 is the way to go.
    Maybe getting a used and therefor cheaper GTX1080Ti would be an alternative.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

From what I’ve read the 2080 is a waste of money, most people recommend getting either a used 1080ti, a new 1070ti or a new 2070.

If things have changed please fill me in

M D Gourley and Alex72 like this.
  5. vittorio

vittorio Registered

i will for sure wait after christmas and hope prizes will fall.

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I dont know what they mean by multi rendering power but the RTX cards are much stronger in that department compared to the 10XX cards. Maybe its just during 3D rendering though? Not sure, but i compared the 2070 vs 1070TI and the 2070 is more powerful and almost the same price so i went for that.

7. cbvta

cbvta Registered

i bought a 2070 a week or so ago, while i dont have triple screens, i run every game i have maxed out and have no issues.

M D Gourley and Alex72 like this.
  8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Keep us posted Alex. You may find the RTX framerate will increase over several hours of use, my RTX2080 sure did (417.35 driver). Started out at 60 FPS average and after about 8 hours under the same conditions it jumped to over 100 FPS. The AI does some of its own app-learning from what I've been told even when an app isn't listed on nVidia as "DLSS" enabled.

I use a 4K monitor which is like driving four 1920x1080 monitors. The lighter duty RTX 2070 should work great.

Alex72 likes this.
  9. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Hello Alex72,
    Yes, I have had my 'Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 OC' for about 3-4 weeks now and could not be happier...although I had an issue installing and setting up, but all good now.....and I run 3x 1920x1080 (5760x1080) Monitors and run rFactor2's 'laser scanned 'Sebring' with decent settings as this was the most demanding Sim Track out of all the Sims I have installed...see attached rF2 thread I posted as it has some MSI Afterburner data showing FPS etc etc compared to my older GTX 690...enjoy your new card.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/my-new-rtx-2070.61620/

Alex72 likes this.
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm 99% sure the actual training of DLSS is done on a supercomputer, not live. If it was that simple, Nvidia wouldn't have the need to provide game-specific DLSS profiles and they could just market it as an automatic increase in FPS. And what's more, DLSS seems to only work at 4K, no other resolutions. This feature reminds me a lot of SLI which has it's need for game-specific profiles, so I'm somewhat reserved about it.

Edit: I also think the game has to code support for it, so the Nvidia profile alone won't be enough.

M D Gourley likes this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I have had that experience with for example ARMA series. That initially the FPS is lower but after some hours it always got better. I think eventually i figured out (i think) that the more the shaders are loaded and put on the disk the performance gets better. Like when you have loaded all assets in the game eventually by playing all different maps and using units with different textures etc it will eventually have created a shader cache and performance get better. Now, i might talk out of my arse here but its the only explanation i have, lol. :D

Will definitely post when i tested it. What was great was that when i went from a PCI-E 2.0 system (AMD FX8350) to 3.0 (8700K) and still using my GTX980 i got 60FPS solid when in normal weather conditions and daytime compared to rarely 60FPS with the previous CPU, MOBO and RAM. Night and rain is where it drops to about 40-50FPS on moderate/high settings. So my hope is the RTX2070 will keep it just over 60FPS under rain and night. Maybe even during both at the same time. If rF2 will still drop then i cant fault the PC, lol. Maybe its just too old engine then to make use of the PC properly.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  12. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ah yes! I knew i remembered something about you and your new hardware. Thanks mate! :)

13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

You gotta get 2 more monitors mate. Just saying. Beware though because when you start playing with triple screen it will have the same effect as going to VR - you can never play without them ever again. :D Well, depends on the games of course, but if its simulators like driving or flying etc then going to 1 monitor feels like putting on horse blinders, lol.

14. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

That's quite possible, I just don't have any other explanation for why the FPS increased significantly after about 8 hours of rF2 use. My monitor can only handle 120 FPS so if there is more of a gain to be had I'll be limited by the monitor not the card.

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Surprised the bitcoin brigade haven't snapped them all up XD

16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I am so depressed over the fact i didnt buy bitcoin when it cost nothing, lol... I was laughing at it. Shows what kind of businessman i am (and why im poor). :D

GrimDad likes this.
  17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Just to reply to myself and whoever is interested: yes, the RTX2070 with the rest of my hardware handles rF2 on triple 1080p monitors in all conditions (day, night and rain) with the S397 GT3 cars at solid -never dip- (so far) 60FPS. Havent tested without locking to 60FPS so im not sure yet how high FPS goes (for anyone that uses higher hz). I put all first settings on "FULL" like car quality, AI car quality and track quality. Everything else on "HIGH". In the launcher i have AA=3 and PP=MEDIUM. Not because it dipped with higher but just because i left it there and it looks good.

BTW i know i missed something regarding some config file or similar for rF2 that would be good to do. Anyone know what i mean? I think there should be some FPS lock in some file for example? Maybe some other thing as well? I havent touched the config files yet.

Emery, John R Denman and GrimDad like this.
  18. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

You're poor because you spend alot of money on simracing LOL
    I also wish I'd bought bitcoin when they cheap

Alex72 likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

With Nvidia I'd just say turn adaptive vsync on and leave it at that. Works for me :)

nonamenow and Alex72 like this.
  20. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

I haven't touched my config files either, not sure I need to.
    Which driver did you load? Mine is 417.35

I did some simple FPS testing and found it would increase over time on the RTX2080. Could be any number of reasons, I'll leave the guesswork out and just say I'm very pleased with the results. I think this new architecture is a step change in video processing.

Alex72 likes this.