Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Don't worry bwana, I've done the update and my rift is working perfectly OK.
    I'm using Oculus+steamVR software.
    It all looks daunting but once you own your own setup it becomes much clearer.

Ernie, proff chaos and bwana like this.
  2. bwana

bwana Registered

Thanks mate, looking forward to the challenge

Ernie and GrimDad like this.
  3. proff chaos

proff chaos Registered

Yup..My Xmas gift to myself as well. Price was why I was holding off in the last couple years, but it seemed reasonable now with touch controllers and 2 sensors included. I even ordered an extra sensor and cable extensions just to be sure tracking was tickadee boo. Should arrive in a couple days.

Yup, even made sure we spread and celebrate Xmas cheer elsewhere this year so I won't be bothered or troubled by the kids (old and young) during my VR teething issues;)

*Thanks for the thread and the Rift set up tip's n trick's everyone. Looking forward to trying this out on my own terms. (I've only used the Vive on Pcars twice, then my brothers unit got chewed by their 6 month old puppy the following week:eek:)

bwana likes this.
  4. RockShark

RockShark Registered

Using the open composite here and Oculus updated last week without issue.

bwana likes this.
  5. bwana

bwana Registered

My wife and kids reckon lm a nerd now , wait until they seem me on Boxing Day

6. bwana

bwana Registered

Showing my vr noobness ,are the sensors required for driving sims ?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unless you aren't moving your head, yes :)

*What you don't need are the touch controllers, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

bwana likes this.
  8. bwana

bwana Registered

No the sensors , thanks for replying, lve since read one is enough for sims by some users but are multiples better ?

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Multiples are better for Room Scale stuff where you're standing up and moving about, 1 sensor of Sim Racing is fine but people have said 2 (or more)can help with tracking at times.

I've recently noticed an improvement in using SteamVR with my Rift, wonder if one of their recent updates changed something as it was never this good before!

bwana likes this.
  10. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

When I first ran the setup procedure it wouldn't let me progress to the next stage until I connected both sensors.
    I thought only 1 would suit my limited space and keep the second as a spare but I had to use both.

SteamVR has worked OK for me but recently after stopping rF2 I have to manually close SteamVR or it still shows rF2 running even though it isn't. Apart from that I've not had problems with it.

bwana likes this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Solution I've just found via google, can you please confirm if this works for you @GrimDad ?- Thanks.
    steps to reproduce:
    - Launch SteamVR
    - Launch RF2 Launcher
    - Click Single Player and load game
    - Exit game
    - Close RF2 Launcher
    - Rfactor2 now closes down properly

GrimDad and RaceNut like this.
  12. Stefan Kanitz

Stefan Kanitz Registered

It is for me like that since months. In 1 of 1000 cases SteamVR closes after closing rf2. But usually i have to close it manually through Task Manager.

13. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Vittorio - I had to use the VLM Sebring as that was what we were league racing on! :eek:) We've now moved on to a version of Monza and the performance so far is excellent in comparison.

JimmyT - do you have a link to the Oculus Forum thread that untangled your botched update? I had a similar problem a month or so back when I accidentally allowed Oculus to try and update while testing out the V1 file workaround. I, too, ended up with everything bricked and couldn't get even a fresh install of O v2 working for a while. Just in case it happens again, it would be handy to know of these mysterious hidden files etc. that you found needed to be removed.

Thanks!

14. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Thanks for that tip. I've been having this issue too.

BTW, I recently purchased the Samsung Odyssey+ but, found it quite problematic with Steam VR and I never did achieve smooth performance. I liked the resolution bump but, not the blurriness of the image. I liked the headband but, not the mediocre audio quality. Overall, I still prefer the Oculus so the Odyssey is going back.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  15. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

If it is performance what you did not like about Samsung, did you enable their ASW? https://steamcommunity.com/games/719950/announcements/detail/1652133167137673234
    Odyssey ran as well as CV1 on my system, but I had to let it go for other reasons.

JuanP006 likes this.
  16. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I did attempt to but, I had so many issues running games; I think I only managed to get it working with games about 3 times without issues over the three days that I messed with it. Even if it had run perfectly, I couldn't accept the lack of bass in the audio, blurred image and controllers in the end. Some of the issues will likely be sorted in time (WMR) and the tracking worked quite well for the most part but, I just came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be happy with it in the end anyway so it was pointless to spend any more time on it.

I still prefer the Oculus despite the SDE. Of course, it all works without issue at this point. The WMR issues combined with Steam VR has some way to go to smooth all the wrinkles out.

17. JuanP006

JuanP006 Registered

I am considering the Odyssey+ for rF2. Would you recommend it or get the Oculus? I do not have any VR system, would be my first.

18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

HMDs are increasingly personal devices. Because of that, I'd say ergonomics is very important thing to consider, what might be great device for one person, will not be a good device for another, because of head, face shape or simply preferences.
    I tried to switch to Odyssey, but I could not. To me the biggest issue was fit - no matter what I tried, the front piece of headset won't sit tight on my face. Here's my review of Odyssey (not +, which is supposedly improved version).
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...rosoft-mixed-reality.10663/page-3#post-160560
    Also, person on xsimulator forum complained about similar experience regarding fit:
    https://www.xsimulator.net/community/threads/odyssey-black-friday-sale-299.12675/page-2#post-168143

I personally put a pre-order for Pimax, but I expect that device won't be polished and will have software issues. However, I do not like direction Oculus heading in and FOV is something I miss the most in VR, so I am ready to switch, even if in some ways it will be more fiddly device.

One more thing to note, is that if you care about non-racing experiences, I am under impression from all I've read Oculus is better for that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Narrowbackwing and GrimDad like this.
  19. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

@MarcG Yes rF2 does close down but I still have to close SteamVR,
    Cheers m8 ;)

MarcG likes this.
  20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Ok thanks for confirmation.

Yeah SteamVR is just like any other program so needs to be closed if not needed, I tend to just leave it running in the background unless playing other non VR games.