So about that new UI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lino Carreira, Dec 7, 2017.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

New UI will be a big big thing, definitelly way more than just looks. To be honest in terms of looks I don't understand what people doesn't like now. I am actually quite happy with old UI already, though it could use few more functions, but when it comes to online and all the massiveness which comes with it then it is pretty obvious that it needs a lot of improvement.

I don't expect new UI soon, it would be crazy surprise if it would happen in next six months.

@AMillward I'd bet that toys could be content :)

Rui Santos and Louis like this.
  2. enduser

enduser Registered

Why is it a meme, u r over-reacting, unless u mean asking about it every now and then... from a developing stand point there s nothing extraordinary going on. Rome wasnt built in a day.

Besides they release new content all this time both free and paid, and some new thingy coming for xmas sounds good so far, not long ago we had optimization that boosted fps for everyone, they seem pretty busy to me and then some. They re not the most communicative guys but i dont think its such a big issue.

I prefer something solid and working well than big corporate style strict release dates which are most often egocentric (bubbles even) and not so good for the users but thats another topic, adding some hype along the way pretty common in which u r probably used to. They re working on the whole title backbone as i see it, both net code and basic menu system are being updated so give them a break. I say that despite belong to the offline crowd, personally a championship builder and save button will be keeping me busy for sure, with the occasional AI beta testing ofc!

Take it easy with the memes, its all fun & games until u r brainwashed to think alike. ;) :eek:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    mesfigas and Rui Santos like this.
  3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

So we're not getting a fully licensed Reliant Scimitar with real data from 1979 and a laser scanned body?

Exactly- one of my favourite games (Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II) was rushed to release and was missing so much stuff and so buggy it took the modding community to fix it.

4. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I don't think so. It it's the case why they didn't release new UI ages ago, and then just incrementally add features like online competition ?

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Judging by the posts people do on Facebook when they announce something good, yeah, i agree they should keep their dates for them. For us it will be released "when it's ready and fully working!", so people will not complaint or demand explanations from them all the time...

Nobody wants more the new UI and other updates as me, but let's be honest, those guys are doing a great job, so hold your horses because rF2 it's on a good path, let's just be patient and let them work! Like someone said i prefer a finished UI instead of a buggy one that will make people complaint over and over again, they simply can't risk right now precisely because of that, rF2 needs to take strong steps each time...

6. NunoPinto

NunoPinto Registered

People sometimes don't understand the amount of work that something like the UI needs to be 100% ready for release. I'm sure the devs are doing their best to get everything ready for us. We should support them instead ;)

jayarrbee36 and Rui Santos like this.
  7. Emery

Emery Registered

As I said, to avoid empty stubs in the menus.

Can't you just see all the questions about "When is that feature going to be activated?".

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There would also potentially be work needed to make the UI backwards compatible with the current backend (server connection, netcode) which would just mean extra time and effort that will be completely superseded when they implement the new structure. So it doesn't make a lot of sense in that way either.

The devs do want the game to be a success. They aren't the enemy. If there was an easy solution (at least as easy as people tend to think) they would do it.

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Nobody questions the fact that the UI requires a lot of work and that it is better to finalize the UI 100% and debug it at 100% before the release.

People get impatient, which is normal.

The only thing that is asked of S397 is to communicate more, to communicate more precisely, in particular to have an estimate on the release of the UI :

Before a quarterly estimate was what we wanted, and S397 did not give it to us.

Now that we are a few months from the release, it is normal that we wanted something more precise.

Not at the week, but within two months .....

S397 should be more transparent on the subject.

And it's normal to be impatient after 2 years, even if we understand the amount of work needed.

Louis likes this.
  10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

There have been a fair few people that think a new UI is just new colours and layout and cannot comprehend why it has taken so long.

Who is this "we"?
    The vocal minority who want everything now. :rolleyes:

You want transparency but then people complain about what S397 say and complain even more if any estimated dates are not meet.
    They are better off saying nothing and surprising us.

AlanK, lagg, McKiernan and 6 others like this.
  11. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Everyone's way of seeing things, but on the contrary I complain about not having approximate information and approximate dates.

That's what I complain about.

The delays, on the contrary I understand them when I was informed beforehand.

About me, the mechanism is the opposite of yours :
    I want to be informed and I would complain much less if there are delays. Like what, everyone is different ..... :p

12. Louis

Louis Registered

Im starting to think they are developing rf3

avenger82 and mesfigas like this.
  13. Stevy

Stevy Registered

I'm pretty sure that even with the new UI and HUD (and Nordschleife+competition system) rFactor2 will not get the next "big thing" in Simracing.
    Yes, it will maybe attract a few new players. Yes it may be moddable and a few new designes will appear.
    Yes, it may will be get easier to get exactly what you want (so race conditions and such) especially for league admins.
    But rfactor will remain the "ugly duckling" of simracing with it's inconsistent content and dead multiplayer.
    rFactor took too much damage under ISI. Yes I would like and love to see iRacing "dying" because everyone comes to rFactor but let's be realistic. It won't happen.

14. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@Stevy
    En light me mate...
    what is the next big thing ?
    which one of the sims available on the market already have it?

Louis, Rui Santos and patchedupdemon like this.
  15. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

There isn’t a next big thing in the sim racing genre, you can’t reinvent the wheel

16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

exactly :)
    we have everything

17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Stevy really is fighting the simracing war. lol.

Louis likes this.
  18. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

In the hypothesis that rF2 would really win a lot of users in the first half of 2019, and I think such a miracle is possible, it would be especially beneficial for us rF2 loyal users.

I am impatient, but new delays would be understood by the community, provided that S397 actually communicates by giving elements of precision (especially concerning the estimated time, I said estimated).

The only roadmap that has been nearly satisfactory is that of the 2018 simexpo, but lack of luck the information of the simexpo was much more precise.

At the risk of offending the fanboys, the roadmaps have been for 2 years as "empty shells".

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

People will come slowly back to rF2, not sure if they come from iRacing, pCars, Gran Turismo, etçª, but when people realise that a true simulator really EXISTS they will come, you bet...

20. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@DrivingFast
    Road maps are not the end of the world !!!
    are just the end of the song :)