Help with Lap Times

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cipher, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DanielK

DanielK Registered

Please edit your userdata\player\DAMplugin.ini and set these values

[Base Channel Config]
    Controls = 1
    Suspension = 2
    Tyres = 2
    Vehicle = 2
    Weather = 1

[Extra Channel Config]
    Aero_1 = 1
    Controls_1 = 0
    Scoring_1 = 0
    Scoring_2 = 0
    //
    Suspension_1 = 1
    Suspension_2 = 1
    Tyres_1 = 2
    Tyres_2 = 2
    //
    Vehicle_1 = 1
    Vehicle_2 = 1
    Weather_1 = 0
    //
    Wheels_1 = 2
    Wheels_2 = 2

then log another lap or two :)

2. Cipher

Cipher Registered

Ohhh ok thank you! So more confidence through the turns xD
    And I'll do that :) thank you!

3. Cipher

Cipher Registered

Got back at it again. Recently I found out how to adjust the steering angle so I went down from 900 degrees to 550 degrees. Now I can work those tires just like those I see in videos, at least temperature wise :D
    Here's my new pb, a 1:20.839 and I can now consistently run 1:20.9s. Just one more second to hunt down! A bit more confidence through the turns perhaps?

And here's also the MoTeC file, now with the new settings that Daniel suggested

Attached Files:

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

The replays of your faster team mates with the same setup are a great asset.
    The best way to use them is a video merge with yours using "Replay Office".
    Compare sector times and start with the sector where you are losing the most time (the low hanging fruit).
    Then go through each corner analysing Line, Braking point, braking amount, gear selection, throttle input, steering input. Look at their minimum apex speed compared to yours. You will see clearly the differences. Be patient and look at each input.
    Whenever I do this I find a LOT of time and it's usually the same bad habits. Just out of interest I will list what costs ME time:
    Not making the track wide enough, using all the road means a less acute angle and higher corner speed.
    Forgetting to use trailing brake to bring the nose in more to apex.
    Too eager to get back on the throttle which pushes me wide and means less throttle and lower speeds.

Cipher and JuanP006 like this.
  5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

if you're doing an endurance race, you want to be consistent, don't chase the lap times, just keep it on the track.

I've been there with the lap times. Very rarely drive with delta best on these days, spend too much time focusing on keeping it in the blue and end up crashing.

Cipher likes this.
  6. Cipher

Cipher Registered

Alright! Gonna look for Replay Office :)
    Completely agree with you. I think the consistency part is there, since I can run lap after lap within 5/10ths of each other before tire degredation happens, so I'm hoping to improve my time, and then try to get consistently close within that new time. So far it's been going well; new pb is a 20.8 and I can run 20.9 lap after lap, maybe a 21.1 at worst

7. DanielK

DanielK Registered

The setup looks pretty decent apart from camber (needs a lot more negative camber) and that will have an effect on how much grip you get through the corners. I noticed you have the traction control on pretty high. Set it to 1 or 2 and practice with that. It’ll be easier to turn and come out of the corners better. Driving wise you can carry more speed at turn 1 and run out pretty wide while still making t2 without lifting (don’t need to hug the t1 apex as much in a high downforce car). Everything else looks pretty good. Less traction control will let you get a lot more out of the car. Try overdriving it, throw it in the corners hard, jump on the throttle, etc. With the low camber setting it might want to spin out on you if you drive it in too hard. The setup is fairly well balanced so whatever it does, it should do it predictably.

Looking at the data a bit more it seems you’re getting the required slip angle on turn in but then from mid corner it starts to get a bit dull. Traction control on 1 or 2 will allow you to carry more speed through the corner and turn the car better with the throttle.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Cipher likes this.
  8. Cipher

Cipher Registered

I've lost track how many times I've thanked you for your help xD I really appreciate it!
    Yep, the TC was also part of the setup. I turned it off for a bit to see where the actual limits of the car was, then put it back there. I'll try out TC 1-2 :)
    For Turns 1-2, I've tried out that line before but found that I was scrubbing too much speed. Maybe it's because I had really high TC, so maybe turning it down will solve that
    Regarding my slip angle getting a bit dull mid-corner, does it mean I have to turn in more during that phase?

9. DanielK

DanielK Registered

I probably didn’t use the best words lol, what I mean is it’s understeering a bit mid corner, I’d want to be using throttle to turn the car at that point. With high traction control when you get on the throttle the car doesn’t react, what you really want is to get on the throttle at the apex and have the rear end step out a fraction (with this car not much at all). What’s your tyre wear like front vs rear? Fronts wear faster?

As for t1 & 2, I still can’t try it myself... maybe tomorrow lol... if your league has liveracers go and check sector times of some fast guys and compare, see which sectors you’re losing the most time on.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Cipher likes this.
  10. Cipher

Cipher Registered

Ahhh ok I get what you mean. Yes, the fronts wear out faster than the rears

I'll go check out if it has live racers :)

11. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

I will add a little explanation to the good input of DanielK.
    When you turn on traction control (or increase it) a couple of things happen.
    On throttle the rears get protection against wheelspin (obviously), so the helpful little loss of traction that allows them to move sideways to help rotate the car is reduced. The result is more rear grip on traction and is called "Push Under-Steer". Something will give in to the forces and it will be more front tyre grip that gives in. So the (front end) understeer can result from TCS.
    You can play with TCS and reduce it to the point you are happy with how the car rotates but still have control on exit.
    Other times you can play with TCS is Wet, Worn rears, or to balance tyre wear; if fronts are wearing too much -reduce TCS to take the stress off them a little and increase rear temps/wear.

When setting up a car I will remove all assists incl TCS to get a feel for the cars balance naked without the aids.
    Then if you plan to use TCS you might need to make the car a little more "pointy" (over-steery) to avoid such issues and to take advantage of how TCS lets you have a strong front end but will electronically manage exit oversteer.
    Once I find a nice balance I would usually adjust rear ARB as the "go to setting" to change balance.

When a team sets a car up for endurance races it is a very helpful tool* to bring a team setup towards the various drivers differing balance requirements.
    *Along with brake bias, rear wing, tyre pressures (adding some pressure will reduce grip at that end) and even tyre selection (Commonly the harder tyres will have more oversteer as the grip change at the rear is greater).

Filip and Cipher like this.
  12. Cipher

Cipher Registered

Thank you for the in depth explanation! :D