4K or 32:9?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John R Denman, Oct 18, 2018.

1. DaveS78

DaveS78 Registered

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@DaveS78 Now that's how you place a monitor for good FOV :)

I suspect the distortion from the curved screen would be barely noticeable. I wonder if you tried setting the FOV based on the sides of the screen (measured width, and effective distance) and how that felt? You say there that the horizontal FOV didn't bother you, so maybe you didn't worry about it. I imagine you could set the FOV a little higher than the screen height (and central distance) would suggest, have a little magnification in the middle and the sides closer to correct, without issue.

3. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Interesting development I thought I'd share:

Over the last few weeks Frame Rate has been increasing. I updated RTX 2080 driver to the latest a few weeks back, instant bump in frame rate by about 20% and after maybe 8 hours of use framerate jumped again. In the same points where it was pumping 60 FPS its now at 100-105 FPS. It appears there is some internal optimization going on.

Had a little setback over the weekend, without dwelling, had to re-install Win 10 and everything else. Afterwards I'm still getting 100-105 FPS now @ 4K, full quality settings.

RTX 2080 Deep Learning Super-Sampling, also known as DLSS, which uses the Tensor Cores in the new Turing architecture to render objects using A.I. and deep learning. When enabled, Nvidia claims that games will see between a 75 to 100 percent improvement compared to the GTX 1080, meaning that the RTX 2080 has up to twice the performance of the GTX card. However of the Games identified as "DLSS compliant" rFactor isn't on the list. One of the geeks who works for me mentioned that the DLSS AI does indeed perform limited level of optimization on its own. Looks like thats whats happening.

Emery likes this.
  4. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Now its getting a bit spooky..
    I've been using two tracks for FPS testing, Nurburgring and Sebring for testing. Now its running 120+ FPS average at both under the same conditions. The Turing AI is definitely learning something on its own.

Emery likes this.
  5. Comante

Comante Registered

Until it will be able to remove censorship from Jap pron it will be worthless :D

6. Emery

Emery Registered

John, would you do me a favor and take a very critical look at telephone wires, vertical poles, and fences? Gamers Nexus did a review of DLSS vs. "the original technique" and those items were pretty ugly under DLSS, all the while providing 2x framerate.

7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Indeed I will. In the first phase of "new toy" some of quirks are likely to be overlooked. There does seem to be a barely perceived level of quality loss but that could be an old man's eyes, or even a very slow pattern of degradation consistent with speed increase. No matter, for now I'm quite pleased. I'll be a bit more mindful of "defect tracking" and watch for some events to post over the next week.

Emery likes this.