Nordschleife

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Michaelc, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Michaelc

Michaelc Registered

The Laser Scan track that is being made is all ready out dated. Because they are resurfacing Nordschleife. Check it out here:

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

New tarmac there will be a bit less bumpy for some years and that will be whole difference. Grip will also be a bit different at places, but you can not laserscan the grip anyway.

Also why is this in modding ? There is also pretty much dedicated thread on the subject in general subforum, it is called "Track Simulation", where people discuss how laserscaning is good and how much it is necessary, or when it becomes silly placebo snobism.

Virtually Korean likes this.
  3. Mauro

Mauro Registered

This is one of the reason because for me laser scanning tracks are not important.
    If we have them ok, if no laser scanning but accurate track like silverstone no problem.

bwana likes this.
  4. Louis

Louis Registered

Better getting right once than never

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

The most important thing is that LS is saving time of the artist + accuracy. I have done two similar length circuits. One without pointcloud, other with LiDAR pointcloud. Without pointcloud it took ~2 months of working on accuracy and using everything I could, and it was a lot, with pointcloud it was less than a week of processing it, and probably could have been done much faster than I did it. So ~2-3 days vs ~2months for 3.5km circuits, now take it for 25km circuit, and you understand that it is important.

vegaguy5555, Dookie, Ernie and 7 others like this.
  6. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

hey mate, just some questions... there is any tutorial about how to work with LIDAR data to rFactor 2 or 3ds max? Where can I get (buy or download) this files? Is there LIDAR datas to the whole world or just for some countries??

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's interesting how varied opinion on this matter can be. I've been pretty vocal in saying LS isn't necessary, because as long as a non-LS track is done with good references and attention to detail it will be close enough to reality for the player to not notice the difference. But for me if a track is LS it doesn't really matter if it changes 2 years (or less) later in real life - it's still probably a very good representation of the track at that time. Either way the inaccuracies aren't going to affect me materially because I'm not using the sim to train for real life, or engineer a car to race on the track. As long as I don't have an unrealistically smooth (or unrealistically bumpy) track from either method, and what I see and feel is basically the same as what I see on TV or footage, that seems good enough to me.

8. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

It’s still going to be the most uptodate Version available on any sim, and if Sebring is anything to go by, it’s going to be great

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. Filip

Filip Registered

Would it be easier for some people if the track is released as Nordschleife Historic 2018?

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Sorry that just won't do. it should be Nordschleife Historic on Thursday, August 16 approx 3:45pm Zulu.(enter the exact time the final scan was made.) (and none of that backwards Military and Eurozone lingo where they say the day BEFORE the month...oh no...no 16 August here...NO SIR!!!!

vegaguy5555, Seven Smiles and McFlex like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I used CloudCompare software. There are some tutorials here and there, it is not complicated. I was linked when I was modding in AC in by tutorial which is in assettocorsamods.net forum. Though the guy didn't write anything about intensity data map there..

There are many LiDAR sources, some are publicly available, some are not. And some perhaps doesn't exist.

Look for Emerys public lidar database thread in this forum, there is a nice list of some which are available.

By the way I was tempted to do Gold Coast a better version some time ago, I asked people if LiDAR is available, I have got an answer and gues what - it is :) One guy which I know got LiDAR data from ministry of national defence, or something like that.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The old tarmac will be best for sim racers

We are lucky to be getting an older used & worn surface

All tracks get resurfaced periodically just like a room is repainted every so often
    Can’t wait for the release

DrivingFast, Filip and Louis like this.
  13. Michaelc

Michaelc Registered

Sorry about that mantasisg, I had no idea where to put this article so that others can see it..... I hardly post anything, Sorry.!

14. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It's no longer 100% realistic! XD

15. vittorio

vittorio Registered

It is still realistic for the point in time it got scanned. So it will be a realistic Nordschleife 2018 representation.

vegaguy5555 and Louis like this.
  16. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Making a section less bumpy is easy when you have the scan/track.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Sarcasm.

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Sarcasm? My post? Not at all. I can even make it more clear: It will always be a realistic Nordschleife 2018 representation! Not good enough for you @AMillward ?

Maybe you want to tell us what your solution is to get us most accurate tracks? Or maybe you want something different, like not accurate tracks ... following your arguments I really don't know what you want!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  19. AMillward

AMillward Registered

My post was sarcasm.

pkelly likes this.
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

It's actually rather difficult. I did some work on rF1 tracks trying to flatten bumps for rF2 and many times even small changes in elevation will also affect all surrounding objects' positions (curbs, grass, walls etc.). Basically editing road position of a done track is almost as difficult as building an entirely new mesh. But anyhow, it will be an accurate representation of the 2018 track, just like Sebring is an accurate representation of the 2018 Sebring.