Does this thread say it all about rf2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LokiD, Nov 28, 2018.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Why exactly is this worrying, no game is without its flaws

mantasisg, Jason Whited and fsuarez79 like this.
  3. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

It's worth it for me as an offline player but probably not worth it for someone who just wants "plug and play" multiplayer sessions.
    Only the truth has been said in that thread. It is what it is.....still the only sim I play atm.

4. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

All flaws included, it's still easily worth it for me. It's already paid for itself (in enjoyment) a thousand times over.
    As a league racer, I'm not too concerned about offline play, but it is nice to have things that work well offline for those times when I do use AI scenarios and such.

I understand many don't have time to dedicate to racing in leagues...but honestly, if you've got time to practice and run pick up races over and over, you've more than likely got time to find a league and get more involved. (I work as much as the rest, AND live in the US where league options are far harder to find than some other places/time zones)

One will never find the same quality of racing constantly do "pick up races", though they can be fun, and in the right groups, just as clean as serious league racing (which can also be sloppy in the wrong group, so...)

rF2 is a sim that tends to draw in the "hardcore" users. For those of that description, we aren't too concerned about the bells and whistles. They are nice, but they are not the end all be all.

The sim is still in development. The way I see it, the complications of getting everything up and running properly/smoothly simply weeds out the less dedicated and serious users, that honestly, I don't care to race around anyways. (Probably sounds rude, but whatever, it's the truth)

The way I see it, finding and racing in a league is as much a "simulation" of real world motorsports as the driving on track in the simulator.
    One doesn't just get to go "do a quick pick up race" in most real world scenarios, I'm not sure why some think that would be a viable option here, but I guess it's because they approach the sim more like other games, rather than a simulator.

Funny thing too. ...some have a TON of time to sit in various forums, complain about all that they don't like about various platforms.
    They have time to screw around in "pick up races", half the time not even serious about racing, just goofing around...yet no time to find a league, or dedicate a bit of time to said league for good, quality racing.
    ...Perhaps if that time was invested in....well, you get my point.

I personally think S397 is doing a great job advancing this sim.
    And, I won't lie, I've cussed this sim probably more than any other game I've ever touched...blamed the game for issues on my end, etc etc etc.
    But then I kept coming back to it....and after a while (and many updates from S397 later...and also a new rig) it just clicked, and I'm just driving around with this big damned smile on my face, like WOW!!!

This thing is ALIVE!!!
    When it's a well done car and track....there is no comparison.
    I LOVE me some AMS...I dedicate time to co operating a league in it.......and I love the feel of that sim as well.
    But there is something within rF2 that I cannot explain, something extra...something...well, ALIIIIIIVVVVEEEE!

Dookie, bluet, PirroC and 8 others like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Well it says very little about rF2.

In general if you know that a person is all about multiplayer, then you can not really recommend rF2 at this moment, but this might change really soon, just like Ace wrote there.

But if a person is very interested in simulation, then I say pick rF2 as soon as possible, man, why you don't have it already ?? Then I also add that S397 is doing really good job, and that what ISI has done has big big potential yet to be reached.

PirroC, Alex72, bwana and 2 others like this.
  6. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

I wish to point out that, yes, you can't just enter multiplayer and see many open servers, like the "old" good days of Rfactor 1, Race07...or maybe the actual Assetto Corsa (i think, been ages since my last installment)...

But there's a lot of organized races, you can see here:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?forums/online-racing-discussion.129/

Or in Racedeparment (3-4 races with Rf2 per week).

nuff said :)

mantasisg likes this.
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

We must acknowledge that Studio 397 is putting a great effort in reviving RF2 after it was almost flatlined for a long time. Despite this, at today. user friendly and RF2 is still an oximoron. Probably in the next few months things will change, but the stuff in that thread is quite accurate. The only online activity I had since I'm not in a league were the Studio 397 servers sporting new content, or McLaren contest, those are the only chance I know I have, so in all honesty I almost never look at server list : too little information from the servers, too much custom content required, too little human activity to bother. Despite this I would LOVE pickup races in RF2. I hope next UI will improve this.

bluet, mantasisg and Filip like this.
  8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

In agreement here. It could be better here and there but for me that is true for all sims i have. Does that mean im going fanboy and think nothing should be improved? Nope. I hope it will continue to improve like it has since i came late to the rf2 party. Like many other rf2 nuts though there is something with rf2 that make it special, and that is how awesome the physics and ffb is.

I have yet to do an online race or friendly drive so i do hope that is improved. Tested once and it downloaded some mods and then kicked me out. Then i got the crewchief mod and together with the awesome AI it sort of feels like MP. :D Maybe the new UI will help with easier quick-join MP. All we can do is wait and see, and make the best of it for now. One thing is for sure - no amount of texts shitting on rf2 will make me go "ooh they are right!!! Time to unistall!".

bluet likes this.
  9. Karei

Karei Registered

It will be worthy for another year or so, I'm afraid. Then iRacing would have catched up on some important funcionalities that rF2 has (a new tyre model, AI, rain, day/night transitions, more cars and tracks). Unless, of course, Studio397 steps up its game, which is what I want. I don't want to pay whatever iRacing asks, but as per its roadmap, it seems 2019 it's gonna be its year.

10. Stevy

Stevy Registered

As much as 2017 or even 2018 ? :rolleyes:

David Kolody likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Karei I think iRacing should do some serious fundamental improvements if it wants to reach the possibilities of rF2. I don't really see that coming, the main reason I'd say that they just doesn't need to do that, nor it would be possible without big big big changes. iR is quite popular and in comfortable situation, they doesn't have to do anything huge, money is pouring for them anyway, I doubt that they would push it much further simply because of idea, they just doesn't need to do it yet. The main reason for iR to push the bar higher would be ACC, but I don't see how ACC could be really pushing it because of various reasons which seems to be becoming clearer, but we will see. ACC doesn't seem like it could break from a shadow of AC, which it should do before making other titles to run for the money.

Would be interesting to see how this ecosystem would look like with rF2 having better involving multiplayer system.

mesfigas likes this.
  12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Iracings tyre model and physics model will never give the experience that rf2s does, I’m sorry to say this because I have £4-500 worth of iracing content just sitting there doing nothing, because I see no need to resub while rf2 offers me what I want already.

The racing over there isn’t what it’s all cracked up to be, non of the systems like iracing or safety rating, actually do what the iracings pr club proclaim.

Day and night will be cool for them, so will ai and rain, but the tyre model and physics model feel somewhat simplistic compared to rf2, and this latest update that may or may not come in 2019 won’t do much to change that.

Simply put, their tyre model models the tyre with no cross sections so to say, so if you lock your tyre, the whole tyre gets heated, that’s as far from reality as one could get

I may be forgetting something but do correct me if I’m wrong, ntmv7 isn’t going to address the above issue, so it will feel more or less the same.

They have just announced the 2012 formula Renault 3.5, which was the one car I thought may help twist my arm to resubbing, but the promo vid shows it has basically the same iracing physics traits, so it’s another year my iracing content will be left in the garage

Iracing are spreading their thinning playerbase to thin, with all these series, they need to do a lot of overhauling to offer what it says on the tin

Rf2 has many many many flaws still, but it offers the most important part of a sim to a higher level than any other, the driving experience

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    mesfigas likes this.
  13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I see nothing worrying there... I mean what is said there has been true since day 1 and S397 didn't fix it all yet (and they probably wont, this is something for their next sim if it ever exists)
    rF2 is the only sim I play and despite that since my PC broke (2+ months ago I think) I'm in no hurry to buy another one because of how I feel towards the game at this moment. If people ask if they should buy it or not you gotta be honest even if it's your favourite sim.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hoping a lot of the things that 1st hit a new user is sorted when new UI & in-line structure comes

If an online multiplayer structure is still coming -if so hope this uses quality content only & that content is had a bit of work for it to run fairly consistent eg FPS & quality is similar

I have pals that ( mainly due to me) purchased rfactor2 but don’t use it as they claim “it’s a complete mess & iracing just works “ etc

Hopefully good things coming
    Roadmap might have a mention/update of some of these things

15. bwana

bwana Registered

Agree but at $16 l would suggest to everyone

patchedupdemon and Filip like this.
  16. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

same here i dont go back to iracing :)

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does <this> thread say it all about the rF2 forum?