Fanatec GT3RS FFB-issue in "next session"

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dobbie, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

Hi all,

since some time i´ve noticed an issue with my GT3 RS V2. Mostly i´ve got no problems with it in first sessions. But sometimes i´ve got it in that way, that when we step in "next session", mostly into race-session, that i notice an hard rumbling FFB plus fading. If i turn in a little, first FFB knocks hard against turning, followed by some fading and another FFB knocking.
    It´s not every sessions changing and i did not drive very often train->quali->race, so i can´t say, how often i get this issues. And it seems to me, that i can avoid it, if i leave rF2 and rejoin, maybe in warmup. But it´s no solution for me.
    I did not notice this issues in Assetto what i´m driving sometimes. I had reinstalled wheeldriver more than one times and rF2 once too. For me it seems like an problem with FFB in rF2, loosing some driver-binding or something like this. Did not know what regularly happens in session-switches between rF2 and wheel-driver.

Did someone knows issues like that and could give some hints where to search about the solution?

Best regards, Dobbie

2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I've had 3 of these wheels and all of them did this. It's overheating and the driver crashes because the electronics are getting hot.
    The last one I was advised by fanatec support to remove the orange cover and it lasted longer than the first 2.
    Eventually it will stick on full ffb locked on full lock left or right.
    Time to start saving for a new wheel. My advice is get a T300 rs.

3. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

Thanks for this hint! What i didn´t understand, why the wheel didn´t show that issues in one session!? I can drive many many laps within multiple stints without such problems. I´ve seen similar problems as i used normal power adapter when they break down. Since i use such an power adapter (not this, only similar), i did not have this problems within an session.
    It´s as i said only sometimes in an further session. If my rF2 steps into race and did not show this issue, i can drive the race without that this issue comes along!? Overheating should for me attempt during an sessions, independently from an session switsh. I had thought about an loading failure between rF2 and the driver or an USB-problem. But i have changed USB port for sure...

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you tried the Reset FFB?
    You will probably have to assign a button to it.
    Reset FFB.JPG

5. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

Oh yes, thanks, i knew that and it didn´t clear the issue. Only to reduce FFB under 50% make it driveable for the session.

6. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

That confirms the overheating theory to me. Have you tried removing the cover?
    I have instructions on how to do it if you need them HERE
    Also on my last GT3RSv2 the fan sometimes didn't start up until I gave the blades a nudge which might explain why it sometimes works.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. vonddo

vonddo Registered

I have this issue as well with my Fanatec CSW 2. I upgraded from the first CSW and could not figure out for the life of me why the FFB was better with the CSW. With the CSW, I would get the FFB fade, but nothing as drastic as when I skip to the next session (most commonly), but it would occur sometime when I alt-tab or ESC to garage. This occurs inconsistently, perhaps about 40% of the time, and it's not related to temperature of the hardware. I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue for about a year+ now, and my best guess is when the issue occurs, it's because the resistance in the wheel is no longer registering. As a result it feels like the only forces I feel is the road bumps, rumble strips, jolts, and a little bit of turning resistance. The weight of the wheel pretty much goes away and so my "dialed in" controller setting (which have literally taken years to formulate) is disproportionately focusing on everything but the wheel resistance. I can't say it's not an issue that's in my wheel, but it doesn't happen on any other software. I was actually going to shell out for the CSW 2.5 because Fanatec implemented a resistance setting in Drift mode which sounds like exactly what I need, but I keep hoping that either Fanatec or S397 comes up with an update that miraculously fixes the issue.

8. Dobbie

Dobbie Registered

I´ve done 24h Nords on last weekend and didn´t get the issue once a time! But i didn´t start the race and did not make the session switch, but some driver swaps without any issue. I´m for 100% sure i can´t be and temp problem! Even that my problem apperience after session switch immediately on starting grid, if the wheel could not hot after waiting in warmup!
    What you said with ESC or ALT+TAB could be hit my problem, didn´t recognize it but have to watch. Next step was to delete my controller.json, but did not done an whole event with session switches...

9. vonddo

vonddo Registered

I'm consistently getting the strange FFB issue with "finish session" or "skip session" now. These are my FFB settings that I've altered from the original ISI/S397 controller profile for the CSW 2...

"Steering resistance coefficient":0.5,
    "Steering resistance saturation":1.0,
    "Steering spring coefficient":0.5,
    "Steering spring saturation":1.0,
    "Steering torque capability":7.0,
    "Use thread":true,

This alteration makes the rF2 absolutely amazing for me. Oddly, contrary to popular opinion, I feel like I have a lot more detail in the FFB. I generally test my settings on high speed turns to make sure I still feel road texture and bumps on tracks I know. I'm pretty sure I do get a little bit of clipping, but the pros far out weigh the cons for me. The wheel just feels like it's controlling real steering components in a car that has no power steering. It also feels like I'm riding on soft rubber tires filled with air and not a hard solid rubber with no shocks on straights, riding curbs, road bumps. For further details please read my previous post above.

At this point I suspect it's the settings above that rF2 no longer registers whenever I skip or finish a session. I've tried turning off qualifying and I don't have this issue. Also whenever I run into this issue. I reboot rF2, and when I get on track, the FFB feels great again. Loading a new controller profile when the issue occurs does not help.

After about 2 years of constantly trying to trouble shoot this myself, I'm finally reaching out to S397 and the community to share/help. Or... perhaps it's a bug I can help to pinpoint.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  10. Adam Baldwin

Adam Baldwin Registered

I’m bumping this thread as I’ve been fighting this exact issue, with 2 different wheels now.

Currently using a Fanatec DD1. When I first boot the game, FFB is fine. However, each time I press “drive” thereafter, the FFB worsens - with increasingly strong oscillation when touching curbs. The force feedback reset button does nothing. The only way to rectify the issue is to exit RF2, reboot the wheel base, and enter again.

Has anyone else had this issue or found the solution?

Does anyone know a way to reboot a Fanatec wheel while in game in RF2 without losing FFB?

11. vonddo

vonddo Registered

I finally upgraded from a CSW 2.0 to a DD1. The DD1 has additional tuning that I thought hides this issue (namely the resistance settings), and in some ways it does. But after years of chasing this issue as well as being a seasoned rFactor/rFactor 2 user. I consider myself very familiar with the little quirks, and I suspect that the FFB still isn't the same after "finish session" or "skip session" is clicked even with my new DD1. I'm actually totally surprise that I was the only other person other than the original poster of the thread to run into this issue. I've been chasing this issue ever since early 2017, and have invested way too much time in trying to resolve it. There's been two other threads that have since popped up recently.

Force Feedback broken after leaving pit several times

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....broken-after-leaving-pit-several-times.66007/

FFB becomes grainy after session change

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/ffb-becomes-grainy-after-session-change.66959/

I'm hoping that since others are experiencing the same issue, it will draw some attention from the devs. I'll be happy to share what I know to the S397 team to find a solution.

Adam
    Rebooting the wheel or reset the FFB will not solve the problem, but because of the extra tuning on the DD1 you may want to explore those settings to hide the rFactor 2 bug for the time being. My settings are still being refined, but I think the problem in game (when it appears) is the resistance forces gets considerably lower so the effects forces seems like they are disproportionate. Hence when a car goes over curbs they are translated in a way where it feels very jagged, and bumps and jolts seem exaggerated. So with that thinking when the issue appears, I'd start with high FF and lower settings FEI FOR SPR DPR, and then start increasing FEI FOR SPR DPR until the effects feel like they are appropriate with the overall forces and what's left of the resistance forces, then fine tune further with NDP FEI. These are really just a workaround until the issue gets fixed. Make sure to refine the settings with the same car on the same track.

Bidle and Ernie like this.
  12. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Today the issue occurred again on my DD2. Practive, qualifying, warmup session ... all fine. But after the league server was switching to race session the FFB became grainy. FFB reset didn't help.
    Newest Fanatec driver+firmware (v373) is installed.

datasting and Bidle like this.
  13. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Have the same problem, but most of the time I just restart RF2 and it is gone. I understand it is not a great solution.
    I have the feeling it also happens when switching cars.
    btw. Also using a DD2.

14. vonddo

vonddo Registered

@Bidle at one point if I wanted to do a race weekend, I resorted to running a qualifying session, get the results, reboot rFactor 2, alter the session to just a race and manually assign my grid position... just so I can do a race with the "start up" FFB.

I also suspect switching cars will create the issue. Though it's hard to discern at times if it's the different car feel or the bug that's kicking in.

At one point I thought, perhaps the "start up" FFB is actually the bug, and the next session FFB is actually the intended FFB, so I started to tune the wheel from that perspective, but I still haven't gotten it to a point where it matches the initial "start up" feel.