How do you know the car is hitting ground or bouncing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stefan_L_01, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Outside hotter than inside? Is that correct?

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Right after a corner? Sure. Why not.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

In a Formula, with high cambers? Are we kidding? End of conversation for me...

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

If you say so. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  5. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

It can't be changed globally, but it can be replaced as parts of custom mod updates (so league admins could choose to do so) and mods can ship with it properly. I use a very loud one on my car that was recorded from an actual car essentially sliding over aslphalt on its floor. Thing is, it gets louder the more force is applied, so if you start scraping ever so slightly you don't really hear it as technically you're not scraping, but your diffuser already starts stalling. Effectively all you could do with that info is go full bottom out mode and then look in telemetry how 'low' that is displayed as to know your actual ride height. Anything else, just like in real life, is probably not possible if the cars aren't set up to show 0 at actual 0.

Also thanks @Ronnie I was about to post that exact image. To me that looks quite like the rear left's inside is almost being set on fire while the outside is freezing :)
    Jokes aside that tyre almost gets pulled off its rim and apparently that is how it usually looks. With cars as extreme as bigger open wheelers that is perfectly normal, and you won't ever see a car like this that at no point heats up more on the outside

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, that's how I would expect it to be done. Is that a new .sfx parameter? I haven't seen it.

7. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Are you running minimum pressures, the tyres roll over with hi turn in, it happens in the fr 3.5 and even with max camber and max psi you can’t stop it, personally I think the sidewalls are a tad too soft, because the difference between min and max psi only reduces this deflection by 3mm from my testing

8. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

It's been there I think even since rF1. If you want it right now check the DESF V10 .sfx, otherwise I can send you the line later on discord

9. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Yes, precisely, the FR is a great example! So back to the question how can a common person adjust correct pressures and camber if simulator/tire model is bugged? With the info we have in garage is impossible! If you look at the tires with high cambers in a formula the outside barely touches the ground, even cornering!

Also, when is this "low pressure" thing gonna be solved? So the new "trick" in rF2 is extreme camber and low pressures? As a common user i'm really confused!

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I know that, but i was referring to the front wheels, strangely the rear tires in rF2 (FR 3.5 for ex) are the ones with the more "logical" temperatures...

11. patchedupdemon

The tyre model isn’t bugged per say, but could always be better lol
    all you need to do is check the live tyre display while cornering, if you have the the whole tyre contact patch the same colour while Cornering in most corners, you are good to go.

If the center is hotter than the inner outer then reduce psi or add more camber, we can’t actually go lower enough in some or most cars to have the opposite.

Everything is a comprise though, you won’t get even spread of heat in every corner, som slow corners won’t have enough load and the outer won’t hardly touch the road, while some very fast turn in corners will overload the outer due to the deformation of the tyres because the load is really high.

But now I’m confused, in your previous posts you were saying that the outer is always hotter, but in the post I’m quoting you’re saying it never touches the ground.

Maybe it’s a language thing.

I’m no expert but the above is what I do, and I’ve checked with motec so now I don’t bother to use motec for initial setup of cambers or psi, I mainly use it for ride heights at speed and to fine tune the contact patch for specific priority corners

Take all this with a pinch of salt as I’m probably wrong

Also lowest allowed pressures isn’t a trick, if S397 allowed us to adjust from 0 pressure then the pressures most run now, that are the lowest allowed , wouldn’t be the lowest.

There are some areas within rf2 that I just don’t get, I’m still learning myself

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Rui Santos likes this.
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Thanks Patchedupdemon! Finally i find someone who understands a bit my struggle! What i meant is that visually you look at front tires in a Formula car and you can see that with the high cambers the outside barely touches the ground, so my question is, how the outside is far hotter than inside? Seems no logical at all! And i'm the one who usually is fast and win races, don't turn too much the steering or force the tires. Like i said it wasn't like this before, since an update it started to behave like that, and for common user is very hard to setup the car for a given corner with the values you find in garage after a corner you need to setup...

13. patchedupdemon

Just to clarify for me, when you say the outer is hotter but doesn’t touch the ground, is that in a corner or on the straights and what specific car does that, as I will test it later and then reply to you with my findings

14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Several cars do that, where i find less reliable temperatures are in formula cars, like the FR 3.5 2014...

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I can only think you mean the scraping parameters, which were for wall scrapes. If that's been hijacked for tub scraping I'll chalk up another strange and unnecessary design choice...

16. patchedupdemon

I only run the fr 3.5 and can say that for most tracks you can get decent temp spreads, if you overdrive or slide a lot then the outer gets nuked on all tyres.

That car loves to understeer and scrub the fronts, you have to tune the setup to be very pointy if you want to avoid this

17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I allways want the car to be balanced, so that's not the problem, my setup of FR is very good anyway, usually in races i'm one of the guys with less wear in the tires, and i'm usually at the front...

I setup the car with the feeling mostly, not with the garage values, otherwise i'll be running it with highest camber possible...

18. Comante

Comante Registered

Time ago it has been discussed here that in R/L on one side, tire deformation on the ground produces heat, on the other, contact on the ground soak a lot of heat. So, considering that tire temperature reading in cockpit are relative to the very surface of the tire, I can see scenarios where the outer side is hotter than the inner side, because the tire touch the ground only in the "heating" phase, but then is raised.

19. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Some article or explanation on this matter would be amazing...

20. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Loads on the internet if you made an effort to do so.