Help me build my first simracing rig!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cosimo, Jun 12, 2013.

1. seancleric

seancleric Registered

Here's some more pics maybe give you some idea's if you go on to build your own.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

cool, theres nothing like a home build, it does the job better because its custom built and everything is where you want it so it fits like a glove.

3. coops

coops Banned

The best triple screen mount and stand is from obutto's r3volution it is the best on the market for price and build if your going to buy....IMHO

4. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Obutto is really cool, but a bit out of my budget... 639 euros is the base price. If you want to buy everything you get with a GT Omega supreme, you'll be close to the 1000 euros mark.
    I appreciate build quality may be different, but it's more than twice.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Im seriously considering the r3volution.

The only thing that has stopped me so far is the seating position being too upright. The chassis has the seat elevated from the rest of the chassis/frame, if only it didnt do that (or at least could be customizeable) i'd probably have one right now.

The pedal base worries me too, can it handle max loads of load-cell brakes at 35+ kg of force without moving or flexing?

Movement drives me insane, even in real life, i used to always complain more than the other drivers about movement due to the belts slowly loosening up over time. The mechanics hated when they had to buckle me in lol.

6. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Having owned an Obutto I can say it is very solid but the seating position and the especially the seat itself is where it comes up short. Even without motion you ideally want a bucket (race seat) so you aren't compensating against the FFB, quick corrections, or braking. You don't need belts because there is no inertia but you do rotate your body slightly when you steer and push back when you brake. Obviously a lot of sim'ers play from an office chair and get along just fine but having a bucket helps with being consistent, especially if your FFB is turned up.

Small amounts of flex in a sim chassis and movement in a race car aren't the same thing. Movement felt in a race car would be from moving (really more about pressure since the bucket and belts fit tight) within the seat itself (hence the idea behind the GS-4 G-Seat) which would also be a problem on a sim with a cheap seat. Granted on a sim it is on a much much smaller scale for reasons I mentioned above.

Folks out there that actually have RL track time and want to recreate that experience at home will appreciate something like the VR3 over the Obutto. Just depends what you are looking to do. I believe Chris at Obutto (nice guy btw) is trying to appeal to a wider audience including flight sims, hence the reclining chair, less aggressive seating position, etc.

7. cosimo

cosimo Registered

A few more months on, and I have a few updates!

I have ordered an Obutto R3volution cockpit with triple screen arms:

http://www.obutto.eu/store/r3volution/obutto-r3volution.html

I also spent a *lot* of time putting together a components list for a custom PC.
    This is what I ended up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cosimo/saved/#savedbuild_762440

I pretty much maxed out my budget... Stuff is arriving in a week or so!
    I might post pics and videos later on.

Remains to be decided whether to go for triple screens (very likely, with Nvidia surround and 3D vision), or Oculus Rift HD.

8. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

So jealous for your late christmas... Awesome pc specs, but i think you will not get OCulus Rift HD before 2015 (guessing, since i have the dev kit and i thinking they are planning to release a second dev kit in 2014)

9. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Obutto rev still not here unfortunately, but new PC is assembled and amazingly well with RF2.
    I cap fps at 120 and I get steady 120 everywhere with everything on friggin MAX.
    Last I did was enable 120 Hz Lightboost :)

Some pics here:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/b/L8W

In the end, given the unavailability of EVGA GTX 780 ti, I "downgraded" to Asus GTX 780 DCU,
    which was readily available in nearby online stores.

10. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Those covered mobos look so amazing, wtf! with the size of that cpu fan and cooler.... jeepers!

I got an Evga 780ti classy last week no problem, well if you disregard the wallet dent, no problem. In the UK that was, can't believe you would have a problem anywhere in the new civilized world. I watercooled mine.

11. cosimo

cosimo Registered

And... 8 months later here's the rig built and finished.

One screen for now. We'll see in a few months. Obutto is great, and I especially love the adjustability of pretty much everything.

View attachment 11670

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  12. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Nice but that keyboard, well it would require carbon dating to get its approximate age surely........;)

Just kidding, nice setup.

13. cosimo

cosimo Registered

Thanks! LoL it's a glorious model M, but I'm currently looking for a wireless mechanical keyboard a wireless mouse :)

14. Eddy

Eddy Registered

looking realy great Cos...

Cya on track Edwin(SR4L)

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Building a rig is a whole hobby within itself

Keep posting the pics & good luck

( I'll defo have to a proper write up on mine soon ! )

16. cosimo

cosimo Registered

[​IMG]

Just upgraded my rig to triple screens.
    Awesome.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Nice work :)

My new Sim Rig mkII is 95% complete, just need to sort the pedals out and it's finished, I'll post a thread with pics then.

18. cosimo

cosimo Registered

.. and more than two years later ... upgraded wheel base to Direct Drive with an OSW and 20Nm Mige motor, a custom wheel rim and a DSD button box :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good times :)

19. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

final.jpg Here is a pic of my home built frame with next level motion platform, Fanatec wheel and pedals, home made button boxes with DSD circuits inside, frex sequential shifter and buttkicker. I bought the seat from supercheap auto when it was on special. I don't use the monitor anymore as I run the Oculus now.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@JimmyT I nearly fell off my chair... then I saw you mention the Oculus. I thought if you've got all that and put your screen waaaay over there... :eek: :D

ADSTA and JimmyT like this.