SSD size for OS and more?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Alex72, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

"Old product key"? I have to buy Windows. And i dont know if i should go with cheap key or legit OEM that is more expensive. Maybe i misunderstood your post or you mine, lol. :D

2. ceecee

ceecee Registered

"Old product key" = from your previous Windows 7/8/8.1/10 installation, normally on a sticker on the side of the computer or still in the DVD box.
    Whether you have changed your hardware or not, this often works.
    (I do this probably 20-30 times a year).

3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I’m sure I read that you can transfer your windows key to a new computer or when you replace mobo, with windows ten
    Edit have a read of this
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Alex72 likes this.
  4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I dont have windows, brother. I need it now. I always build my PC's part by part. Never bought a full PC even once.

5. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Thanks mate. I have also seen that if its the same brand (ASUS for example) then it often works. Question is, is a higher price legit OEM smarter than a cheap website key...? Could those cheapo keys stop work if M$ get a whiff of them?

6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

I presume you have Windows on your old computer (or the one you are upgrading) ?
    There would have been a product key for installation.

7. ceecee

ceecee Registered

"if its the same brand (ASUS for example)"
    This in the case of laptops, not self built desktops.

8. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ive seen people say they changed mobo to the same brand and the OEM could be installed again. Sometimes they had to reactivate by calling M$ (automated thing where you get numbers and stuff). And if you have to go to the last step and call humans at M$ they have gotten lucky as they were lenient.

I dont know. Feels like im getting the legit more expensive OEM version to be sure all is on the up and up.

ceecee likes this.
  9. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Wonder if OEM i buy in a store also works as a key i can use on Microsoft website to download the latest build of Win? I need to download it on this old PC, put it on a USB stick and make it bootable, build my new PC and use the USB stick to install the new Windows on it. Buying a key from the cheap places let me use the key on M$ website and download the latest build? I cant see any info about that on the cheap key websites. They just say you get a activation key so i guess that is used to download Windows as well as activate it?

10. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Download Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and make a USB stick (at least 8GB).
    The link will download you the latest Windows 10, version 1809 via the file MediaCreationTool1809.exe.
    You do not need a Product Key/license in order to download Windows via this method.

Alex72 likes this.
  11. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Says this though "you will first need to have a license to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool". Im gonna test now. Cheers mate.

Edit: Didnt run it all the way. Started to do checks and messing around saying it will collect information and stuff. Just fucking let me download windows!!! lol...

12. ceecee

ceecee Registered

You can still install Windows 10 without a license.
    The installation will only work for a given period of time until you input a valid license key (this can be done in Windows.)

Alex72 likes this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Ah of course... So this tool will let me make a bootable USB Windows installation without any other hassle right now? And then on monday when i get my activation key i can just plug it into my new PC, install Win and enter the key when prompted?

14. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Exactly, if your new computer is now finished and ready, you can still do the installation now with the USB stick (Select the option "I do not have a Product Key" in the menu) and input the license key on Monday.
    In Windows 10, just search for Activation and type in the License Key.
    This way you can test your system first, Windows will run for some days without a license key.

Alex72 likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Awesome. Cheers bud. :)

ceecee likes this.
  16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Personally I’d go for the full fat full price 100% legit version, it may save hassle in the long run.

I’ve never used those cheap key sites for anything so can’t comment on them

Alex72 likes this.
  17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I agree with you but i just cant afford the full retail right now.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Definitely won't stop 'windows updates', and for me didn't stop driver updates. If it did, it probably would have, so I'm saying it doesn't. Which doesn't mean everyone will experience the same thing...

Alex72 likes this.
  19. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

b
    buy a 500gb ssd, so you will have the space to install other games too! Worth the price.

20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I bought 2x500gb ssd. ;)

ceecee likes this.