Slow motion problems

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by MateLeLe, Nov 18, 2018.

1. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

Hello,
    Recently I came back to rfactor 2, but im struggling to drive with more than 5 people on the server. After I drive out of the pitlane, I have some kind of slow motion, it makes driving impossible.
    When looking at CPU TIME graph, the purple bar is pushed maximum to the right. What exactly does it show? My CPU is AMD PHENOM II X4 840, from what I know it should be Just enough to play. The mod is RH 2004 converted from rf1, the mod is well optimized, and no one apart from me is having problems. Last season I was Racing on ASR 2017 mod which was Way more demanding I guess, and I havent got any slows then. I tried everything, im running the lowest settings possible, the fps is over 60 all the time but these slows make the game unplayable. Is there anything I can do or should I Say goodbye to Racing on this pc? I hope you understand.
    PC:
    AMD Phenom II x4 840 3.2 GHz
    6 GB RAM DDR2-800
    Radeon HD 6770
    Win7 Professional
    Nothing running in background.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Is that the only mod it happens on? It could also be the track, ovals for instance cause higher CPU usage because of the banking.

3. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

I don't know, maybe. I'll test it later on. Here is the screenshot how does the usage look like during the slows

Attached Files:

4. Louis

Louis Registered

Prodigy and Filip like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@MateLeLe The game has become a little more demanding on CPU over the last 2-3 years. There were some tyre fidelity upgrades which made a noticeable difference on my CPU of the time (which is rated below yours per-thread, but overclocked was probably quite similar), and that meant that a lot of the time I was fine but occasionally I would get slowdowns. Some tyre model updates have also pushed the envelope on performance, and most newer mods will make use of them. If you have the ability to overclock you may give yourself a little more time with your current setup but you might still sometimes hit a combination that does it.

If you can try to reduce CPU load you might be able to alleviate it a little - mirrors may help (turning them off completely), track detail to low if the track does it (the one you're on there looks like a third party conversion, often they don't bother with track detail settings. Your Melbourne doesn't appear to have culled much in the mirrors either, not a good sign for optimization), anything that can reduce the amount of thinking the game has to do (mirrors and track detail also affect FPS obviously, but they take some CPU to work out as well). But I can tell you from experience you're right on the limit and an upgrade is pretty much inevitable.

On the upside, it's obviously been ages since your last PC upgrade and although not necessarily cheap you'll enjoy your new PC when you get one :) (and if it's decent, this and other games are a lot better to look at and play - and if you go to an nVidia GPU you won't get the pixelated/dithered transparency you see in the trees/bushes, which is nice)

6. Filip

Filip Registered

We all have problems. I hope he'll solve his.

Louis likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's all cool @Mangoletsi , but the GPU isn't the issue here.

8. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

I have already said goodbye to Racing on this PC. Half year ago, i didnt have problems, even on DX11. So I think there is nothing I can do apart from buying New PC :)
    Thanks for your help anyway, im not closing this thread, so you can still discuss.

//EDIT
    lol this website says I have 100% bottleneck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  9. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

The Radeon HD 6770 wasnt released in 2011?

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@MateLeLe Oh dear, I misread your GPU. 2011 is right, January so nearly 2010 :)

1 GB of video memory? Is that right? Then not only is your CPU just about unable to cope with rF2, your video card doesn't have enough memory to load probably most content properly and will force lots of swapping - which could contribute to your slow motion problem.

Time to either retire that PC for good or find a nice spot to use it for 'the internet' or similar (just keep an eye on your PSU, and check your hard drive(s) fairly often to avoid data loss...).

Sorry @Mangoletsi , you're probably at least half right, I should look more carefully next time :oops:

11. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

You may be right, the PSU is modecom feel 500, which is known as a bomb, but this seems to be good. I Will May have opportunity to test it out with New psu and GTX 1050 Ti, we will see how it goes. When it comes to new PC, I'm buying new one in February 2019, propably with Ryzen and GTX 1060.

12. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

But the game takes around 800 MB VRAM. Remember, the fps is not the problem, the problems are these some kind of slows.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Depending what effect running out of video memory has on a CPU that's already near the limit, it could still be contributing. I still think your CPU is slow enough that it will cause issues even with a faster GPU, but I wouldn't rule both out.

14. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

It's still good to check and find out.

15. MateLeLe

MateLeLe Registered

My friend has i3 3220, 4 GB of ram and HD 7770 and runs this mod perfectly well.

16. Brent

Brent Registered

I'm getting a slow motion replay for a track I've been working on. This is in single player, not devmode. The replay starts off at normal speed but about a couple minutes in it starts slowing down and gets slower and slower. I've seen this before a couple times at other tracks and mods. I believe it has something to do with a mod, either the vehicle or track.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

It could be the CPU as well. rF2 physics are single threaded, so single core performance is what matters. AMD Phenom and FX series have very poor single core performance, an i3 3220 has probably about 50% more. The poor per core performance together with a converted mod is likely causing the issues. RH 2004 was a fine mod for rF1, but often these conversions are made without any optimizations, so they may end up performing worse than stock content.

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@MateLeLe Use this as a reference: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

If you search for your CPU, and compare to the number for the i3-3220, you'll see yours is much lower. I had a Q8200 which is even lower, but I OC'd to 2.8 and then 3.0 GHz to give it a little boost, but I was still hitting slow motion in some mods (and that was more about the tyres than anything else - didn't matter if there were AI or not).

19. Brent

Brent Registered

I'm running a lowly i7-8700k, 4th down on the list Lazza posted. I could be wrong but I don't think it has anything to do with poor core performance. I can run much much larger and much much more detailed tracks and vehicles with zero issue. I wonder if it has something to do with LODs or something not optimized in the gmts or something?

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Brent Slow motion replays are an entirely different issue.