Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Open Composite, .dll that allows using running Open VR games on CV1 without Steam VR. Main project page: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR

Ernie and sherpa25 like this.
  2. Fox85

Fox85 Registered

Hi, guys.
    I have a GTX1080 and I'm using the 398.11 drivers. What are the best drivers for this graphics card?

3. MartyB

MartyB Registered

Tried this out tonight. 1080ti, i7 8700k in 16gb ram running at 1.4 SS with most in game settings on high or ultra.
    With the original dll files im getting high 50’s percentage head room dropping to 30 ish driving past the pits.

With the new OC dll files I’m *losing* around 25 percent headroom, so 20 ish out on track and just barely keeping out of ASW trigger point coming past the pits. :’(

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Similar story for me also.

5. EricW

EricW Registered

not sure what is causing the drop difference between the two.
    But pretty sure that it is impossible to put everything on full in VR, regardless which system you have and drivers you use.
    SS is very hard on the FPS for instance.

6. MartyB

MartyB Registered

This was at midday ( game time ), clear sky’s, no ai cars and therefore no headlights. I wanted as repeatable a test bed as I could get. Don’t get me wrong, it would have tanked sensationally at those settings under any kind of race situation!

Will definitely watch this develop though as, even if it could only match the performance I’m getting with the original dlls, it would be worth having as it effectively fixes another issue that irritates me. Namely when you exit the game, oculus still considers it running until I close steamvr as well and won’t let me relaunch it.

7. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Not sure if I'm too late for the party but there is a way to get RF2 to work with the Rift but without having to have the new Oculus Home running in the background.

I found the solution here which worked for me - https://www.reddit.com/comments/9odbvz

It requires the Oculus tray tool but means no home or steam VR hogging resources in the background.

Hope it helps someone

JR

The Iron Wolf, lagg and MaD_King like this.
  8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Guys who have lower framerate with OC: in my experience, OC is not about higher framerate, it is about smoothness. I see situations where SVR cranks out 90FPS while OC does 45FPS, but those 90FPS from steam are choppy and stuttery. Lowering SS OC usually gives 90, and better 90 than SVR. However, I said that million of times - performance difference is not day/night. So you should not expect a layer to change the game. Main work is happening in the game and that is where most perf optimizations are required. OC is extremely thin layer that does pretty much nothing but passes game output to Oculus. Steam does the same, but I think they have a few bugs.

There are two settings that might affect perf and experimentation is necessary:
    threePartSubmit=true/false
    useViewportStencil=true/false

I will soon update this thread with full ini that has only what rF2 needs.

PS: those who curious why SVR might offer higher framerate: Oculus recommends waiting before submitting new frames, and my impression (maybe wrong) in a chase for higher frames, SVR submits without waiting, which results in choppy experience. OC does things the way Oculus recommends. Of course, that's just a theory, I've seen no SVR code

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Ernie, Zoaal, sherpa25 and 4 others like this.
  9. MartyB

MartyB Registered

aha the mists are clearing! I did notice last night during my testing as I was cranking up in game setting with the original dll's in place, that what I thought would have a big impact on perf actually seemed to do very little to the headroom output on the oculus tray tool. What you've said would seem to give a solid reasoning behind that then, if SVR is sending new frames 'as and when' I guess I'll be getting lower quality badly paced frames rather than proper solid correctly paced ones ( albeit with the side effect of a few missed ones here and there)

Correctly paced lower res frames > badly paced higher res stuttery frames.

Was hoping for an early night tonight but can see me testing till the wee small hours again now :)

vittorio likes this.
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Yes, you got it right (assuming I am not talking BS in a first place :D) Just so that it is not lost in thread, peak FPS might be affected by those settings, at the cost of smoothness of course:

It would be great if someone captures rF2 frame times (@Eddy ? :) ) or MSI frametimes using those on/off

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

If someone curious I got this working without OTT, by setting service back to Automatic. I also see no performance gains in 1.32, so above solution ( 1.30, trimmed down and crippled to avoid updates) is fine for now :)

Magus likes this.
  12. Zoaal

Zoaal Registered

By order, false - true - steamVR

upload_2018-11-15_11-38-49.png

vittorio and The Iron Wolf like this.
  13. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

@The Iron Wolf - Hoping that your ini will soon be with us and curious how you got this working without OTT. Do you mean that following the process that @jonrarit highlighted, that you changed Step 2 back to automatic [from Manual]. TIA

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

there's something really strange going on with old Home, some people report it doesn't work, so I would be careful messing with it. But, simple answer is that I went to services, choose Oculus runtime service, and set it to automatic start. Now, I am using 1.30 software, without OTT, it works. I get no Steam VR and no Oculus Client when I play.

The merge is still being processed by the main OC developer. I'd guess it should be done in the next couple of days, unless things break during the merge. Honestly, I am growing tired of how things are done in the main project and beginning to consider a fork where I could do things my way.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Jego likes this.
  15. MartyB

MartyB Registered

I spent a few hours last night messing around with OC and the ini file parameters you mentioned, settled on some reasonable SS and in game effects that gave me a reasonable headroom and then spent a further hour lapping on one particular track with a view to flooding my brain with learning every inch of the place both in terms of graphics and how they were being delivered (smooth or choppy) to me and reported performance thru the tray tool at any given point on the track.

I then switched back to the shipped openvr dll's and still found I could go bigger on super sampling to enhance the visuals with no perceived reduction in how smoothly the content was being delivered to me compared to the OC dll's

Note, I'm not moaning or bitching about anything here, just reporting my findings in case it's of any use.

The real kicker is I fired up AC for a bit afterwards and was blown away by how much better it's vr implementation looks and performs :(

16. Andregee

Andregee Registered

My GPU load using Steam Vr is the same as with Open VR and also the frame rate is identical. Only the smoothness is much better with Open VR, especially if you fall below 45fps and ASW doesn't work anymore.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  17. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

where do these setting go to/are:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, i havent been around. just got everything (sims) running again and looking aroung to see what has changed/improved. i downloaded the OC thingy, but there was no .ini with it.
    I made one using the commands in the thread, ie enableAudio=off etc but there were no mention anywhere about those 2 lines. are these lines for the .ini or what?

18. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

MaD_King likes this.
  19. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

those two go to the same file as enableAudio. Author is behind on updating readme.

Kelju_K likes this.
  20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Guys, forking this project was never my intent and all my work is submitted to the main project, and I sincerely appreciate Author's effort. However due to certain reasons I decided to fork this project, let's call it WOC. My plan is to completely strip off anything that is irrelevant to rF2, making binary as small and focused as possible, and do things my way.

That said, here's tiwm_0.6.0.0 version DLL with loading screen working in rF2: https://gitlab.com/TheIronWolfModding/OpenOVR

Loading screen should be enabled by default with this DLL, as I changed defaults to rF2 best suitable ones.
    For changes and updates, follow that gitlab page.
    IMPORTANT: My fork is just a .dll file. It won't be supporting auto update and it won't work with OC's UI tool.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Kelju_K, Jego, Narrowbackwing and 3 others like this.