Tires (or Tyres) for a Dirt Late Model mod

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Robert Symonds, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Robert Symonds

Robert Symonds Registered

I am developing a mod converted from rfactor 1 and have everything completed besides the tires. I was wondering if someone could help with this? I have tried importing the numbers into the tTool but the car still drives like an asphalt car and not a dirt car.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. bison160

bison160 Registered

You will have that because it is an asphalt sim. The tires are coded to interact with hard surfaces, not moving dirt. In real life, dirt tires arent all that much different than asphalt tires. Softer, probably, but ultimately, to make dirt work like it should it is the surface model that needs work, not the tire model.

You can probably fudge numbers to get it to feel more like dirt, but it won't ever feel quite right until they do something with the surface model. Which is clearly not going to happen under Studio 397 anytime soon.

Good luck!

3. Robert Symonds

Thank you. We have had quite a huge community for Dirt Racing on rFactor 1 and have had some former modders make a track for rFactor 2 but cannot get a tire model to work properly (either the cars would fall through the track or the cars were running like they were skating on ice.) That is why I posted this because I would like to try and get help.

4. Stevy

Stevy Registered

[​IMG]

:D

Edit: a little too big. sorry for that

5. KittX

KittX Registered

What bison160 was saying I guess, is you have to implement changes to both tire model and track's tdf file and figure out how they interact with each other to get the right feel. Yes, rF2 is not designed for that, neigther rF1 was, but it's always possible to get "close enough" workarounds. I bet Dirt Rally had even less source variables to play with.
    Also, wouldn't hurt to increase track's mesh size (to 1x1m polys, or even 0,5x0,5 since the dirt ovals are small) and add some noise to the mesh itself. The physical noise is affecting the overall grip in a very interesting way, since the contact path of all wheels isn't flat anymore, and is different for each wheel.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  6. Robert Symonds

I am fine with using another mod for tire mockup and trying to get it to be somewhat like dirt.. but thats not my problem. On every track I put this mod on, it seems like it just doesn't have tires and is driving on its brake rotors or something. Here is what I am noticing.. The tires are sticking somewhat through the surface. I have copied the TBC and TGMs from the ISI_Interceptor and renamed them to try and see if that would fix it but it did not. So neither of those should be the issue. I am just lost at this point. Any suggestion besides the use of polys would be a big help at this point.

Attached Files:

7. Bozak

Bozak Registered

TBC has a value for radius to change, affects mostly the AI but make a change to check it.
    Go to TGM-[Realtime]-SizeMultiplier=(1,1), these two values change the dimensions of the tyre.
    Try 0.98 or 1.02 and check the tyre.

8. Robert Symonds

I went up to 1.45 to get it even close to what I needed -_- thanks for the suggestion

9. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

This value "Radius=0.3325" in the TBC file controls how high the hub or spindle sits above the road or eg the radius of the tyre. It should match your TGM file. If it doesnt it will cause the sorts of problems you are seeing in your screenshot.

10. Robert Symonds

I raised it up to what it is with the car physics and it is working better plus I raised that Size Multipler to 1.35. Thank you guys so much. I can now start playing around and get things working how I want to

IgnacioK likes this.
  11. Robert Symonds

Does anyone have any resource for tyres? Like comments on what items are in the TGM? Going in blind to try to adjust these tyres and would like some help is all.

12. Bozak

Bozak Registered

Download TireTool Quickstart v3.0 from here

Robert Symonds likes this.
  13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Ever heard about the on line tools by Chris redapg? Exactly what you need... A quick search in the forum for detailed info. Then few changes to the new coefficients added to the real-time section of gmt for dirty surface and and thou you be at a good point.

14. Robert Symonds

Thank You. I have taken these into consideration. Though in my search to figure out why the car is not working properly on the new tires, thinking it was just a tire problem, I noticed the car was reacting differently on the surface. Yes everything was transferred from rfactor 1 to rfactor 2 so the HDV is the same but I need to do some more customization on the Chassis INI file (converting from a PM). The mod I am converting uses a double wishbone type of suspension so I guess more research it is!