S397: Track Dev Wishlist Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by burgesjl, Apr 30, 2018.

1. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

Not happening.

Zandvoort may be completed in three years, but I doubt it.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Of course, anything is possible with the resources available. rF2 sales per each DLC item is around 5000 if optimistic, which kind of limits that. And just about every sim maker achieving this is simply false. Where is this 4-6 tracks per year rate for Assetto Corsa? iRacing? It's true that pCars 2 has a lot of tracks, but almost all reviews have pointed out their inconsistency in track quality. This inconsistency is from the fact that they are using rehashed tracks from years ago. This is painfully obvious when you look at poly counts and object edges, they are often same or worse than rF2 Silverstone, so we are talking about tracks originally built five years ago or so.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Since the Red Pack AC has had only one laser scanned track in Laguna Seca.

4. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I have become kinder bored with driving the same well known tracks across the few sims I’ve played.

I’d welcome obscure and even fantasy tracks as long as they are well made,and lend themselves to great racing,not just good for hotlappong as many well known tracks are.
    Of course I’m probably in the minority on this,so maybe this could be used to fill out the roster along with slower releases of well know tracks,because of licensing

4F0X4 likes this.
  5. marvelharvey

marvelharvey Registered

How is 397's relationship with Reiza? They came to an agreement with ISI over Interlagos and it'd be great if 397 could have a similar deal with other AMS circuits.

Mauro likes this.
  6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

We do...

Filip likes this.
  7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Been thinking more about it and here is a maybe unpopular opinion about what I think S397 should do:
    1 - Invest on modding tools to make building tracks and cars faster/"easier" and as much as possible modded "inside the game".
    2 - Make the game ship with all textures, shaders, etc inside it so modders can use them by linking it, that would hopefully make mods have same performance and looks and in the future if they are updated/replace modders wouldn't have to rework anything as long as they keep it on recommended settings from S397.
    3 - Make the game not work anymore with content that does not come from the workshop (allow full control to take down stuff stolen from other games).
    4 - "Choose" modders to build tracks that wont be licensed or are unlikely to be licensed (as the first idea in the quote above). in a 3PA program and give them fantasy names like Matsusaka.
    5 - Allow these tracks and cars to be sold in the item store (integrated in the new UI would be even better) for a recommended price if the modder wants to. Let's say recommended price is $3 (+ Steam fee) S397 takes $1 and the modder takes the rest.
    6 - Make content unique (second reason for point 3). Whenever a car or track is officially licensed the free/paid mod version without a license must be removed. That would IMO help 3rd party to continue wanting to sell licensed stuff in rF2 and if S397 themselves manage to get a good deal to license a track/car people would have to buy it.
    7 - After a while make the game work only with content that is built using the stuff provided by S397 (point #2).

No idea about the legal implications of this, only @Marcel Offermans to say if anything like this would be doable without problems. But just my 2 cents. :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Sebastien Sestacq and mixer61 like this.
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

I don't see this as viable. How could development teams or leagues keep their stuff private until they want to go public with it? AFAIK, the mods in Steam workshop are public-only or does Steam workshop have a way to limit who can download?

Guimengo likes this.
  9. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

AFAIK You can choose who can download stuff if you want to, no idea how many names you can put in the list but I was once told you can do it. I believe devs are able to see all the items there tho

Emery likes this.
  10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yes you can release Private Workshop items.

Emery likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Thanks Marc for confirming. Wish leagues would use that more for their skin packs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit: added point 7, I had forgot about it. Probably the most unpopular option

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

You guys dont forget that we have Matsusaka which is the most awesome track in RF2
    just need to be up to date
    i dont care if matsusaka is not laser scan cause its so fun to drive

13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I personaly would like to see more tracks that go well with the car content and aren't recycled to death in every other sim. In that regard I would welcome a historic trackpack for the 60s or 70s, similar to how AMS did it with their legendary tracks content and especialy the 70s tracks are a blast to drive. Maybe they can make a deal with Reiza to get Hockenheim, Kyalami, Spielberg and Interlagos.

When it comes to modern track content I would really like to see more stuff from North America, that again fits the cars and isn't available that often to sim racers. For that category tracks like Long Beach, Detroit Belle Isle, Barber Motorsport Park or Watkins Glen come to my mind. Next to that they are very interesting and challenging tracks to drive and especialy Long Beach might draw in more people. The most important thing though is, that they take a look at what is allready available as 3rd party content in somewhat decent quality.

4F0X4, Emery, sg333 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah my idea is exactly to cover these tracks. S397 can go for the F1 schedule and some others like Nords (we like it or not these are the ones that sell a game), then let the community do the rest with equal quality and performance.
    I also enjoy a lot tracks from US and Australia, we dont see many of them in sims, especially from Australia, usually it's Bathurst and that's it. =/

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Bathurst is like Laguna Seca. People must think it's the only track in Australia.

Needs more Sandown and Phillip Island.

PieterN and McKiernan like this.
  16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Registered

Botniaring is released !
    Great looking track(s), easy on FPS, feels good.
    Thanks S 397 :)

PieterN likes this.
  17. Ernie

Ernie Registered

AFAIK many leagues are using the Weather-plugin to simulate realtime-weather in rFactor2. This plugin is using the Weather Underground API, which will sadly be retired at the end of this year.

@Studio397 @Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott : Are there any plans to implement full support for realtime-weather as a build-in feature for rFactor2 (or more specifically the rF2 Dedicated server tool)?

18. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I would love to see that as a built in feature.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Wasn't weather mentioned in some video somewhere? I don't really do videos, much prefer written explanations, but I thought I caught wind of something a while back. Sorry if I'm being too specific.

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Lazza Perhaps there ? at 12:00

p.s Tyres are refreshed at the 2400Hz (27:00), thats like each 0.042m when you are going at 360km/h ! Thats quite insane.

As for tracks wishlist, I would hope for a historic track. But I also would like some other tracks to be improved, there are many great tracks in rF2, and they are very verying in quality.

Fanapryde likes this.