[REL] PAUL RICARD

Discussion in 'Locations' started by The Other Team, Aug 31, 2018.

1. The Other Team

The Other Team Registered

The Other Team is introducing a new rFactor2 track from an assetto corsa conversion (Great thanks to Antony SAKTON who give us the permission).

History :
    The Circuit Paul Ricard is a motorsport race track built in 1969 at Le Castellet, near Marseille, in France, with finance from the eccentric pastis magnate Paul Ricard. Ricard wanted to experience the challenge of building a racetrack. The circuit had three track layout permutations, a large industrial park and an airstrip.
    During its life of hosting a round of the Formula One World Championship, Paul Ricard hosted the French Grand Prix on 14 occasions between 1971 and 1990. The Long Circuit was used from 1971 to 1985, with the Club Circuit used from 1986 to 1990. On six occasions (1971, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1980 and 1989) the winner at Paul Ricard went on to win the World Championship in the same year. Ronnie Peterson (1973 and 1974) and René Arnoux (1982) are the only Ricard winners who never won the championship. In the 1990s the circuit's use was limited to motorcycle racing and French national racing, most notably until 1999, the Bol d'or 24-hour motorcycle endurance race. The track was also the home of the Oreca F3000 team. After Ricard's death, the track was sold to Excelis, a company owned by Formula One promoter Bernie Ecclestone, in 1999. The track was rebuilt into an advanced test track, and was for a time known as the Paul Ricard High Tech Test Track (Paul Ricard HTTT) before changing its name back to Circuit Paul Ricard. On 5 December 2016, it was announced that the French Grand Prix would return to the Formula 1 calendar for the 2018 season and will be held in Circuit Paul Ricard. The track is characterised by its long Mistral straight (1.8 km, 1.1 mi) and elongated track design. The track is also unusual in that it is built on a plateau, and is very flat. The track is known for its distinctive black and blue run-off areas known as the Blue Zone. The runoff surface consists of a mixture of asphalt and tungsten, used instead of gravel traps, as common at other circuits. A second, deeper run-off area is the Red Zone, with a more abrasive surface designed to maximize tyre grip and hence minimize braking distance, although at the cost of extreme tyre wear. The final safeguard consists of Tecpro barriers, a modern improvement on tyre barriers.

Time zone : GMT+1
    Capacity : 90 000
    Architect : Jean-Pierre BELTOISE, Henri PESCAROLO, Jean-Pierre JABOUILLE, Johnny RIVES
    Length : 3.628 Miles
    Turns : 15
    Layout : 3
    Major events : FIA Formula One / WTCC / FIA GT / Bol d'Or

Things to do :
    ■ Rain effects on RealRoad

Important note :
    The track have the IBL Irradiance. It's an art choice.

Crédits :
    Creator : Antony SAKTON
    Conversion : The Other Team

Download link :
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1650327351

Changelog :
    v0.9.0 :
    ■ Update trees Billboard
    ■ AI Update

Have fun, and thank you for your support.

Loading Screen :
    upload_2018-8-31_16-34-5.png

Screen :
    upload_2018-8-31_16-35-13.png

upload_2018-8-31_16-35-42.png

upload_2018-8-31_16-36-13.png

upload_2018-8-31_16-36-52.png

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Lars, memoNo1, coltair and 43 others like this.
  2. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Hey guys,
    really nice! looking good.
    But I have one thing to ask.
    No hate against you or any track or mod creator(we need you guys and you do all an awesome job), and I wouldn't even call it criticism, just something to think about or help me to understand.
    Why in the name of god do you create(or work on) a track that is already available for the game ?
    When I search "Paul Richard" in the Steam Workshop I get 2 different results. And I'm sure there is at least one more when you google.
    Like, why waste man power and hours on something we do not need ? Which is already here and has solid quality.
    Why not create something unique ? Like you do with Chang.
    There are so many tracks we could need or want to see, but it feels like everybody is working on the same 20 tracks.
    And in the end we have 3 different versions of a track but you do always just download and play one(and everybody is just playing this one).
    I can't tell names (because I can't remember :D) but there is one guy who works on an aussie track (again no hate against anybody).
    And everybody is hyped and can't wait to drive the track. And I'm sitting here driving exactly this track and thinking: guys! we already have this track.

Tobias Pitzer and fsuarez79 like this.
  3. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

@Stevy
    I personally like to see that we are going to have a different version of Paul Ricard because the one we have now is not so accurate in the 1st sector, so, if we are getting a proper version i personally would be very happy.
    BUT, i 100% agree with you, for example, we have a laser scanned Sebring, and when i see the other modding group still working on a Sebring mod i only can ask to myself: "why, i mean, why??".
    Of course with all the respect for modding groups, but as you said sometime is hard to understand some choices.

vava74, Tobias Pitzer and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  4. The Other Team

Be patient... wait to try it and ... like it ... or not ;)
    One thing I can say is that track is based on IGN and satellite datas that's why this conversion is really interesting. ;)

Lars, memoNo1, vava74 and 6 others like this.
  5. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

This version is really awesome in AC. It is a big step up from what is currently in rF2. So the "wasted man power" is not being wasted in my book. Really looking forward to it, and hopefully the wait is short :)

I posted this in one of the FB posts, but if I can put a small bug in your ear for a converted Goodwood from AC :)

memoNo1, vava74, ede78 and 4 others like this.
  6. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Of course the question is how bad is it, that one sector is off for the whole track and how bad is it off.
    Let's get (hopefully) a little extreme and negative.
    So you prefere to redo a whole track because one sector is off instead a whole new circuit ?!

Oh I will definitely try it. Can't wait. The pictures are really looking good :D

7. The Other Team

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Wow really nice , I love CPR .
    Thank You , will this be on Steam ?

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The two versions I tried off the workshop had fantasy hills all over the place, which is fine until you watch real footage and find they aren't there. Now I'm not one of those demanding that everything be laser-scanned, because that's really only necessary if you're training to drive the real track and want to have basically no change from sim to reality. What I would like to see is tracks that are difficult to distinguish from reality, otherwise it hardly seems worth the effort to make a real track at all. *

If you download a real track because you've watched a real race at it, and then find you're basically driving on a different track, it takes away from the enjoyment somewhat. So I don't see an issue with making a better version of a track that's already out there; perhaps more importantly, if someone has the desire and motivation to make a particular track, and enough to do a better job, it's best to just sit back and let them do it. If we instead suggest they make some other track they have less interest in, and perhaps less reference data for, they may well just not bother making anything.

*I'm not sure if rF2 yet has the same depth as rF1 regarding fantasy tracks, but I'd rather see a decent fantasy track than a rough attempt at a real track that doesn't end up very close.

10. The Other Team

upload_2018-9-2_15-47-46.png

upload_2018-9-2_15-48-34.png

Attached Files:

11. Matt21

Matt21 Registered

what a beautiful track

hope you can provide the main layout used (4)
    layout for F1, Blancpain GT with chicane in Mistral Straight with DRS zone
    layout Blancpain GT with chicane in Mistral Straight
    layout for ELMS with no chicane in Mistral Straight
    layout WTCC & national French series: FFSA GT4, PCC France national layout

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  12. theboy_72

theboy_72 Registered

I look forward to it, can we have news

13. nericksenna

nericksenna Registered

As a person that has actually walked this track, what has been done here is extraordinarily accurate ! Well done !

Lars and vava74 like this.
  14. Stan

Stan Registered

Beautiful screens, really expecting to try it... thanks in advance!
    Just a typo on the loading screen, it's not "Verriere" it's "Verrerie", "Esses de la Verrerie" or eventually "S de la Verrerie".
    Anyway, thanks again guys.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In previous versions of this track, the main 'missing' element was turn 1. Most WEC races used a sharp left turn, combined with no chicanes. We could only get the sharper 1st turn by using a GT layout that included a chicane on the back straight.

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Now would be a great time to be driving this amazing looking track mod ! ACC is just terrible atm so to have a great PR in rF2 would be great !

17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I have to agree, the ACC version in VR, even allowing for early access is less than impressive

18. The Other Team

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

20. The Other Team

It's there in the first post ..... enjoy :)