SOLVED Upgraded to GTX 1070 - Low FPS

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Nello Pastorino, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Nello Pastorino

Nello Pastorino Registered

Hi everyone! I recently upgraded my Asus 760 OC to a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070. Since I was having quite a decent experience with my old card I thought I could easily max out the settings with the 1070 and get way beyond 60fps in race conditions, but if I do max out the options I get around 40-60 fps when I'm alone in free practice and I don't think this is all this card can do.

These are the other components of my rig:

MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev.4
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 (tried both stock clock and 4.3 Ghz) cooled by an Enermax ETS-T40.
    PSU: Corsair CX650M
    RAM: 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport + 2x4 Hyper X Fury (all running at 1600Mhz, CL8)
    Windows 10 64bit

Now: I'm aware that my CPU will cause bottleneck in many circumstances and at the moment it isn't a problem as I intend to upgrade to an Intel system as soon as possible, however I'm pretty sure that this is not a CPU problem as I could run the game maxed-out in single player with the old card and get a better performance than I'm having now. Apart from rF2 I'm not having such big issues with other games. For example I can run GTA V pretty much maxed out at around 60fps and Assetto Corsa gives me an average of 105fps with all the graphic options set to the max. We're talking about 1080p by the way.

Now I'll give you a list of what I've already tried to do, so you should have the complete picture.

- Cleaned and reinstalled graphic drivers with DDU
    - Double-checked the options in the Nvidia Control Panel to make sure there were no strange things enabled in there, all seems fine
    - Fresh install of rF2, no improvement
    - Loaded rFactor2 preset with Nvidia Inspector, no improvement
    - Checked GPU Usage and temperatures and all seems fine. 99-100% usage when in game and the temps don't go above 50-55°C
    - Plugged a different cable to the GPU, no improvement
    - Set "MaximumFrameRate" to 60 and that did quite improve things, but I'm still not getting a solid experience
    - Set "TextureSharpening" to 0 and as above I got a little improvement, but not much and still not rock-solid 60fps
    - Verified the game cache. There's always one file that fails to validate, but I can't see its size during the DL (it appears as 0 bytes), no improvements after that
    - Loaded the optimized defaults in the BIOS, no improvement

I think that's all for now. I'm running out of ideas and if you could help me with this issue I'd truly appreciate that, so thank you in advance to everyone who'll try to help me! If I forgot something or you need to know anything else let me know and I'll reply as soon as possible.

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

When you press CTRL+C on track what shows the green and purple bar in the upper corner?
    As you had your machine open I guess you checked dust on CPU cooler? CPU temps OK?
    When you say "maxed out" what does it mean? Any AA-tricks enabled as upsampling AA (dont know the correct term by now) in
    Nvidia system-control panel?

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  3. Nello Pastorino

Yes I checked for dust and everything looked fine. I've got filters on all the fans in my case so there's very little dust coming in and I clean it from time to time. I guess you are talking about DSR. I had already disabled that. CPU didn't go above 45°C in my last test (only did a quick lap to take the screenshots in different areas of the track) and here are screenshots of my settings (both in nvidia panel and in-game) and the CTRL+C bars:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    screen rf2.png
    As you can see sometimes the green bar goes way down, is that the problem I'm facing?

EDIT: the bar goes down all the time the game is running 60-61fps

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. Nibo

Nibo Registered

When you re-installed rF2 did you copy your old player.json or started with new? Try removing your current player.json so that rF2 created new one on next start.

Also try turning all plugins off.

5. Nello Pastorino

Before reinstalling I completely deleted my rFactor2 folder in /common. I just tried both deleting my .json and turning off the plugins, but that didn't help

6. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

On my 980GTX (and i have AMD FX8350) i had to set SYNC to OFF and in Nvidia Control Panel Vsync to Adaptive. Its the ONLY way i get fluid 60FPS. Any other combo will cause stutters and drops. With maximum frames ahead 1 (nvidia cpl) the input lag is minimal.

7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

You may also want to try Fast sync in Nvidia CP, I had better results than with Adaptive.

Alex72 likes this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

When i get this type of problem was caused by poorly fixed Gpu.
    This setting: nvidia.jpg
    Instead of X16 was X8

9. Nello Pastorino

I just tried both v-sync options, but it didn't help. The problem is that I don't get >60fps all the time. By lowering the settings I can get there, but as you would imagine I don't want to run the game with limited settings on a card that should produce a much higher framerate on it. I also make videos for leagues on rF2 so to me it is crucial to have >60fps in any in-game circumstance.

@Louis in my Nvidia Inspector that setting is 3.0@2.0x4. Should I place the card in another slot?

10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I dont get 60FPS all the time either. Some tracks yes, but some no. Oulton park when coming to the pit straight for example is killer. I think its my AMD CPU that is the reason for that. Of course i can barely wait for the DX11 move and see how it shapes things up. I run AC at ultra settings with constant 60FPS.

11. Louis

Louis Registered

Yes, thats the problem i think. It should be x 16
    You could re- atach on the same PCie interface ( turn off the pc to do that :p)

mel1c likes this.
  12. Louis

Louis Registered

13. Nello Pastorino

This fixed the issue! I had the card on the 4_1 slot and now (after moving it to the 6_1) Nvidia Inspector says 3.0@2.0X16 and I get at least 60fps all the time (I had v-sync on so I'm not sure how much it goes beyond that). I owe you a beer Louis! :)
    Also thank you to everyone who tried to help me!!

14. Louis

Louis Registered

Nice! Enjoy your card ;)

Nello Pastorino likes this.
  15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Good one Louis!
    Look that you dont get banned anymore in the future! Some people need you here! :D

16. Louis

Louis Registered

:D cheers peter, i´m out "Luis" kind nicknames lol

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  17. Tomasz Bartkiewicz

Tomasz Bartkiewicz Registered

Hi everyone,

I have different problem... I use before RX570 ITX Sapphire , after uninstall old drivers i put my new GTX1070 into PC and run rFactor 2 on same setting which RX. Other PC parts are : i5 haswell 4430 3ghz@3.2 turbo, 8GB ram ddr3 , SSD Crucial MX100 256GB, Windows 10 64bit.

So... i put new GTX1070 and get on same track, 22 opponents around 10FPS less on GTX. Why?
    In PUBG i get around 180% that performance what on RX570.
    But in rFactor 2 i get less FPS in pit, also on start lane... and i don't have freesync now. RX570 cost 2 times less i really thinking about keeping old card.

Video on YT :

Maybe someone have something to say about it ? :) Regards , Thomas.

18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Same question, are you running your card at pcie 3.0@x16

19. Tomasz Bartkiewicz

Tomasz Bartkiewicz Registered

yes, of course. pcie x16 (3.0).

20. stonec

stonec Registered

Disable aggressive threading and remove sync=GPU and do the tests again if possible. Aggressive threading makes the game use less threads, which is worse for modern CPU's. Some of the sync options work oddly in rF2 and you should always test with sync off if you measure FPS.