SOLVED Fanatec V2 CSW Problem

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by JimmyT, Oct 22, 2018.

1. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I am having a small problem with my Fanatec CSW V2 which has only recently become apparent. While driving in practice / Quali / Race it will randomly cut the switch operations. So, it still gets FFB from the sim and allows steering, accell, brake and clutch inputs (CSP V2 connected through CSW) to the sim but none of the buttons work (paddle shift, speed limit, comms, all the things I have programmed to the wheel). Then after a lap or two it cuts back in and may not happen again for the rest of the race weekend. If I jump out of the sim and restart I can have the same experience. It seems to happen on all types of car on all the tracks I've tested so far. It can happen in offline or online sessions. It only seems to have started since the last version update of rF2. (I am using the current version as of the date of this post)
    My questions are
    1. Is anyone else having similar issues with their interface? (same or different brands)
    2. Is this a known issue?
    3. Are there steps available to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Steve Olden

Steve Olden Registered

is it happening in rF2 only?
    could it be a wheel to base connectivity issue?

JimmyT likes this.
  3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

All the basics first.
    1. Thoroughly check all cables and connections. Not just visually, run all cables through fingers to check for anomalies and damage. Disconnect and reconnect all connections, a blast of compressed air (air in a can) would be a good idea.
    2. Try different cables and ports.
    3. If possible try a different rim or get someone to test your rim on their base.
    4. Make sure all USB and HID power management is off in device manager. Right click each entry /properties/power management. Not each entry will have power management.
    power.JPG
    5. Check Windows Power Options is on High Performance.

JimmyT likes this.
  4. elcoco

elcoco Registered

May be,pin broken in the quick realese

JimmyT likes this.
  5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Has windows updated, I heard on another sim forum this happened to fanatec wheels and windows update was the cause

JimmyT likes this.
  6. Carlos Santos

Carlos Santos Registered

Check if the screws inside the Rim and the base hub connector are properly tightened. You can moderately re-tighten them.
    I had the same as you describe, that helped.
    [​IMG]

bwana and JimmyT like this.
  7. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Firstly,
    Yes because I only use rF2 :) I don't have other sims anymore.

@ADSTA will recheck the basics (did that first but will double check) will check HID Pwr Mgmt.
    Will check but unlikely as I don't remove the wheel.
    Yes updates all the bloody time and it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is the issue.:mad: (bl**dy microsoft)
    Never thought to check here but will give that a check tonight.

Will report back when I have checked all the above. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks for the tips.:)

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

OK checked the cables and HID all seems good there. Pins in Quick Release are all OK.
    Checked the screws in the wheel and base and yes 2 were loose.
    Have to do a race weekend and see if this is OK.
    Will get back to you after the weekend.:)

9. Mario Fara

Mario Fara Registered

Also I had the same problem twice but I could not say what the cause may be.
    For safety I removed the steering wheel with the quick raelease and then I reassembled it.

10. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

It probably is my wheel, it is making a high pitched squealing sound (very softly at the moment) that sounds like a capacitor and the fan is clicking. Can you get inside these things and give them a clean out?

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Are you talking about the base, not the rim?
    There should be a video somewhere with a tear down.

JimmyT likes this.
  12. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yeah the base, will do a search. Thought there might be someone here who could say if it's do able or if they had heard of the whistling phenomenon.
    Thanks ADSTA.

13. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

So an update. I reported the whistling to Fanatec and they suggested testing the latest driver version and flashing the firmware in the wheel base. I gave this a try and the noise persisted (sounded more like a fan issue after a while) I was also having the drop out of the switches more often. Fanatec offered spare parts, a new stepping motor, main circuit board and fans (from a V2.5 as V2 are no longer available) for a reasonable fee, which I accepted. I replaced the motor, Main PCB and fans (about 2 hours all up) and downloaded the drivers for V2.5, flashed the firmware and set up in rF2 (about an hour more). I can now report that the wheel no longer whistles or has dropouts and has the higher torque of the V2.5. It also has better road feel than before. All in all a win.
    I am very satisfied with Fanatec's speedy and helpful service.

bwana likes this.
  14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Good to hear you have it sorted. :cool:
    A shame you actually had to pay and use your time to fix a problem on a product that is not cheap to start with.

A long time ago I bought a new set of Clubsport pedals through Pagnian Imports.
    Around a month later the brake pedal signal started going haywire.
    One or two days after contacting Pagnian a courier delivered a new load cell, main pcb and the pcb's for each pedal....free. No video needed or ongoing to and fro of emails. That is customer support
    Yes I had to do the work (I offered) but I only installed the load cell. A lot easier and quicker than stripping a wheel.

JimmyT likes this.
  15. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Edited quote:
    The unit is way out of warranty and I could've returned it to them but offered to take the option of repairing myself. Wasn't that hard, just time consuming to do it right. The price was OK at about a fifth of the purchase $AU of a new unit, that includes transport and GST.
    As I said, pretty happy. :):)

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I would like to re-visit this thread as I am having another issue recently with my Fanatec CSW 2.5.
    I will be driving along and all of a sudden the car is in neutral and the wipers come on. This happens randomly.
    These are the plugins I'm using
    MotionSystems_rFactor2Connector64.dll //for my motion seat
    DAMPlugin.dll //R2LA (I think)
    rFactor2SharedMemoryMapPlugin64.dll //Crew Chief
    SteaPlugin.dll.

I get no error messages.
    Can anyone give me an idea what might be causing the problem.

Thanks in advance.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Plugins can't do car controls (definitely selecting neutral, probably wipers - headlights can't be done). Assuming you have buttons on your wheel for neutral and wipers I would suspect a hardware issue. Hopefully 'just' something loose.

JimmyT likes this.
  18. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

@JimmyT I had similar problem with my Ferex wheel which was caused by broken cable.
    You can try to assign another button to your wipers and see if they get turned on next time you have this error and if not you know where the problem is.

JimmyT likes this.
  19. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks for the input gents. I found the problem, it was a loose connection a plug / socket on the main board in the wheel base.

Lazza likes this.