How to properly edit a hdv file?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pr3dator, Oct 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Pr3dator

Pr3dator Registered

I'm new to modding in RF2 so please be patient with me.
    I wanted to make some cars faster than others like in Formula 1 where each rcd AI has different physics,when i save the edited hdv file the mod disappears from my game and i can't see the cars anymore. I guess i'm saving the mod the wrong way in the mas editor. I was just dragging and dropping the renamed edited hdv file and saving inside the mas. Is there a proper way to do it or am i missing something?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't just edit the files in place (you might be used to rF1 or other games). Once a mod is installed (from an .rfcmp file) it is protected from changes to avoid mismatches online. If you change those files the mod will fail verification and no longer be available.

What you need to do is create your own component, from your edited files. It will have its own name and some of the files (like .hdv perhaps, .veh almost certainly) will also need new names to avoid conflicting with the mod you're modifying.

There is a packaging tool tutorial, like linked in this post: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....o-fix-every-damage-quickly.61321/#post-962560

3. Pr3dator

Pr3dator Registered

Thank you so much Lazza! One last thing i am wondering is do i need to copy also the other files that i won't touch? For example the sound of the car or just the new hdv and .veh inside the rfcmp file is enough

4. nurogize

nurogize Registered

This thread (link), gives a basic idea of over writing packaged files with newer versions of said packaged file.