Optimize rain on windshield plz

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Akela_DE, Oct 17, 2018.

1. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

Our poor GPUs will probably cry but yes, that's what I don't like about the rain effect in rF2 for the moment: it seems too static. It is nicely done but correspond to a car that is not moving... With speed the drops should move.

2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That you see rain drops changing there color in rF2 is down to the fact that the rain drops reflect the sun light. I think that effect is pretty spot on. In the PCars 2 footage there is no direct sun light as it seems, so you won't have as much reflection in the water drops. What could cause the effect to have different intensities is the PP setting, but I am not completely sure about that and would need to test it.

3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Looks like rF2 has much more brightness on the drops on the window. Need a tad bit less opacity. The brightness from the sun lights up the drops a lot more than in Pcars and thus you see much less.

4. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Yes, the reflections are way to bright and the density is also to high. Looks more like snow in certain angles. I think PC does it better, the drops are less, a bit to big and edgy and do not reflect the environment light. When Rf2 could lighten the density and perhaps add some moving layer like in that VW on Nords, that would be great.

5. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Bwahaha, thats funny. With that seat position you dont need a wiper :p
    Oh and performance: 20 Normas: average fps in sunny Zandvoort 45, in rain/storm 20. ups :confused:

6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

No offense, but with your comments you don't give enough information to see what is causing the FPS drops for you. Given the fact, that you are having issues with the Norma in dry conditions allready, it seems that your system isn't up to spec to run the sim at 60 FPS at your current settings. So to ask for optimization while your PC might be a bit weak in relation to your graphic settings, isn't really going to help investigate the issue.

bwana likes this.
  7. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

where do you see a question for help ?
    Its just a comment about a >50% loss of frames from dry to rain.

8. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Visuals are great, FPS is very acceptable but God... the AIs braking in the middle of the straights... PC2 artificial dumbness and not artificial intelligence.

Akela_DE likes this.
  9. bwana

bwana Registered

In reply to your “ comment” your system lacks the grunt to run rf2 at its best . Not an answer, just an observation

10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

We can suppose.

But the truly excessive loss of FPS in the rain is real, it is not his PC, although it probably lacks power.

It is normal to have less FPS in the rain, or at sunrise or sunset, or using 50 AI instead of 25 :

But in RF2, FPS losses in changing conditions are really excessive, which according to me means that the graphic engine of RF2 is deeply poorly optimized.

A graphic improvement is planned in about 2 months, without any optimization of the performance officially planned ....
    I find it incomprehensible.

AlenC likes this.
  11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

we are expecting new car new track shaders
    so we better wait for new things to introduced to the game and then discuss about further optimization cause its obvious things haven't done yet.

they will change the environment lightning or something like that.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Most of the optimization is already done, I would tend to think. They spent all of the previous summer and then had two further updates since then. About the only optimization left is to shorten all the LOD's so that car parts disappear once you are 10 or 12 feet behind another car. Just like GPL, the final solution may rest with the user and hardware upgrades. GPL was never able to be optimized to allow older systems to reach the 30fps level needed to match physics with graphics. I am more than confident that just software stream-lining of rF2 will also fall short of most user's fps goals.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're obviously just comparing this to other games, which doesn't really prove anything. Maybe rF2 is better optimized in fine daylight conditions? :confused:

We know rF2 generally has lower FPS than other games, but this could just be due to the nature of its engine. Changing engines isn't simple, especially the way rF2 works, so I think it's better to plan for upgrades than to wait for magic 'optimizations' that might never happen (or even be possible).

14. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I only play 99.99% of the time at RF2 and I do not really know other games. I do not compare.
    Here's what I think :

- Dry weather performance, at 12:00 AM, with a relatively small number of AI (15-20 AI), is pretty good (probably in a good average compared to other simulations).

- It is normal that in these conditions, cumulative or not, the performance drops :
    AI = 35-60 depending on the tracks, rain, night/sunrise/sunset or low sun in the sky .....
    In contrast, performance of RF2 in these conditions are in my opinion excessively inferior to what they should be, and I really feel that under these conditions, the RF2 graphics engine is not good at all.

I agree that in dry weather at 12:00 AM with 20 AI, there are no problems with optimizations.

This is just my opinion, but I do not make comparisons with other games because I do not have Project Cars 2, game that offers the same race conditions (rain,...).

I think that there must be a balance between :

1) The user's PC upgrade, damn that too much expensive, a little empathy with users who can not afford Powerful PCs would be good !!!
    2) The efforts of S397 to make the graphics engine powerful, which I think is insufficient.

All that matters most to me on RF2 = "global" realism, especially car content and also reference tracks like Sebring/Nords, relationship between performance and graphic quality knowing that performance must always remain the priority .... ....

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@DrivingFast The point I'm making is, there'll be a difference in FPS as different things are being drawn, but if you aren't comparing to other games you can't tell if changing-conditions-performance is poor, or unchanging-conditions-performance is excellent. Either one will lead to a big change in FPS between the two scenarios.

So what makes you think there's too much performance hit?

(by the way, 12pm is midday, 12am is midnight)

16. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I had an incredible amount of performance tests when I had a small PC equivalent to a GTX 1060 3Go and PCIe 16X 2.0, because I could not play with the rain/sunrise etc .... even adding few AI.

These tests were very structured (the first job I did was a tester), and aimed to identify all the elements that were not optimized in RF2 in order to find solutions and compromises.

Now that I have a good PC, I threw out these many sheets about the tests, I can not give any more precise numbers.

But the loss of FPS was really too much each time one of these race conditions appeared :

- Increasing number of AI
    - Rain
    - sunrise/sunset/night and low sun with big shadows.

It's really racing conditions, I noticed that despite some graphical parameters that are very resource-demanding, the graphic parameters have a much lower impact on the performance of RF2 than race conditions.

The result is that the framerate is excessively changeable and not stable enough, which causes a bad experience for some users and an impossibility to play in acceptable conditions for all users who have a PC aging, and a PC that costs excessively expensive !

For these users, the fact of greatly lowering the graphics settings does not improve enough the performance :

For me, unless I have horrible graphics of Playstation 2 in 1280X720 with graphics really very low, I could not play RF2 in normal conditions.

That's why I think that RF2 is very poorly optimized when racing conditions are unfavorable.

17. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

I know that i am on the edge with my hardware,(because of bitcoin fever - you know) but that doesnt change that RF2 "seems" to be 1. very slow compared to my other sims 2. looking very dated 3. looses >50% fps in rain. And it is not getting much better when i turn screens off and increase quality, it is just a little bit faster.

RF2 is the best full "Sim" out there, but: Sex sells. The graphic is not good enough for modern standards, poor optimized, plain ugly with many old tracks and trackside objects. Compared to PC1, PC2 and Assetto it looses by far in performance and looks.

F1Aussie likes this.
  18. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

exactly dont let the rain at max cause is gonna suck your fps
    also lowering the rain detail it affects the graphic quality overall
    set it to medium and see whats happens
    cheers

19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Now that I have a powerful PC, 100% of the game's graphical parameters and the nvidia driver are at maximum, and the performances are excellent in the vast majority of the time.

But before I had the equivalent of a GTX 1060 3 GB in PCIe X16 2.0, and the difference between rain on "HIGH" and rain on "ULTRA" was huge.

Between high and ultra, the difference in performance is huge on low power PCs.

20. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Rain effects in Driveclub are simply incredible. It would be fantastic if rF2 saw some day similar to this.

One of the things that I miss the most in the rain of rF2 is the impact that speed has on it. In rF2, the same amount of water drops in the glass when you stand or go to 300km/h. In RL with heavy rain, at 60 km/h it circulates well since the windshield wipers are capable of evacuating the water, at 80 km/h visibility is greatly reduced since even with the wipers at maximum speed they are not enough, but at 100 km/h it is impossible to see anything. The same could be said about sound. The sound of the water hitting the car is always the same when in reality, at 100km/h the sound is deafening.

Improving these two things and with a graphic implementation a little closer to what is seen in DriveClub, I think the rain in rF2 would be really good.

KeiKei, DrivingFast and Akela_DE like this.