Have track loading times been improved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnsclander, Oct 14, 2018.

1. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

I don't know if if just me but, when loading a new track, it goes significantly faster than usual.

This happen with tracks from modders and with official tracks.

Alex72 likes this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I was surprised last night at what I thought seemed to be a fast load of a newly installed mod track.

Alex72 likes this.
  3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

It did improve for sure. Unless i imagine it. No, it IS faster. Its faster at least from when i bought it til the barrage of updates. When i bought it like a year ago before the DX11 updates and i loaded a track for the first time it took, im not joking, like 5-10 minutes, and i wondered if i would ever have the patience to test another track or even drive again at all. :D I bought Sebring with cleared cache and it took maybe (not SSD) 1-2 minutes. Second time considerably faster. Much faster.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The first time a track is loaded, cache files are created, the cbash and shader folders are full of files for all the tracks you have loaded. So instead of having to create the same files each time you load a track, there are saved versions that can be loaded quickly. These are the files that should be deleted whenever there is a graphical update. The end result is the first time you load a track, especially a large one like Sebring, you must wait for a very long load. But from then on, unless you clear the cbash and shader folders, each track should load faster.

avenger82 likes this.
  5. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

Yes, i know that concept, but i'm talking about loading a new track never loading before (my rf2's installation only have 3-4 weeks old), official or not. I was surprised because i'm used to wait longer, so much longer.

So i thinked that maybe some improvement was introduced in one of the last builds or something like that. And i created this topic in order to ask others if they feel the same about it.

PS: excuse my poor english.

6. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

yes I think so mine certainly quicker but have just upgraded from 1070 to 2080ti so thought it was that. maybe writing of cbash file created of a fresh track is quicker

7. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I minimise rF2 and do something else instead of waiting

8. johnsclander

johnsclander Registered

Not necesary now! That's my point...