Flight Sim hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by F1Aussie, Oct 13, 2018.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Hi all, I am looking to dabble in some flight sims, most likely xplane 11 and il2 sturmovik and I am looking for some good quality hardware, most likely throttle and hotas. I see the most common ones are saitek x56 and Thrustmaster warthog, does anyone have these? If so what are your thoughts. Any others you would recommend?
    Cheers

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

good hotas that dont give quality issues headaches are the thrustmaster or at least thats what most people suggest on internet forums.
    if you are looking for quality hotas must have a lot of dollars or euros to spend
    ppl say that Thrustmaster warthog doesnt really worth the money.
    saitek also has a bad name better avoid it
    i ll try find a link with good quality hots and link it here

3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

https://virpil.com/en/

there you go :)
    ppl who knows the thing suggest this one
    dont buy Thrustmaster warthog if you dont learn about this company
    from the link above

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I have been using for the best part of 10 years, a combination of x52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals for IL2 and an Eclipse yoke and CH throttle quadrant plus the Saitek pedals for other sims, mainly MS Flight Simulator. Occasionally use the yoke and throttle quadrant when flying bombers in IL2.

Hardware is pretty old now, but has and continues to do the job for me.

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Thanks for the replies guys, I am wary of thrustmaster as they tend to have robust exteriors but use cheap or frail components inside and I have read a number of issues with the buttons failing.
    The Virpil looks good but the issues I have with that is the cost to land it all in Oz would be over 1k and I have also read there have been one or two issues with them and it took a guy 3 months to get it sorted out. A lot of money and time to spend if there are any issues which is why I prefer to get something local. I believe there were some quality issues with the saitek x56 but apparently they have been ironed out with the upgraded version of it released early this year. It would seem there are pro's and cons for all of the hardware.

6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@ F1Aussie
    they say saitek quality is on hands of Logitech now so they done a better quality control but still if you search the internet a lot of people buy it and have at least a few buttons not working properly after a few days.
    be careful.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Okay, thanks for that mesfigas.

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would tend to think that most hardware pieces are substantially robust when first designed. But once the cost committees and marketing & manufacturing teams get involved, the results are often less.

9. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

some old saitek are good but th eppl who owened saitek wasnt always the same guys
    you can find info from elite dangerous forums that people are asking about cheap hots
    thustmaster T16000M FCS hotas is the most popular by far cause of quality.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Try DCS world
    base contest is free so you can use it without purchasing

I use a warthog stick
    I do need a thruster but no space at mo

11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

How do you like the warthog? I have decided against going saitek. There seems to be good write ups about the warthog but people complaining about the plastic insides, is it really that much of an issue? Cheers

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Love it , feels solid & stick is made of alloys , yes I’ve read about plastic insides which was a bit of a let down for me as I like to go high end due to years of stuff breaking etc

It’s been good so far , remember many other sticks are also plastic inside, I did get it quite cheap without the thruster part not sure if I’d pay full retail price , see if you can get a new one but without the thruster or damaged box etc

I’d like to custom make my own ffb stick to use with the propeller ww2 war planes in DCS at some stage when I get more time
    DCS does support ffb flight sticks

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Thanks for the info, I saw a photo I side a Virpil and it looked all plastic to, in the grip that is. I looked at vkb as that has good write ups but there is not really any availability on that atm. At this point in time I might go Thrustmaster. Am waiting for to get my new 8020 rig first

14. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

for xp11, in case you are interested in an Airbus, you should look for REAL Airbus throttle. Because the Airbus has a Kind of automatic mode which is toggled by a certain thrust Position. It´s not so easy to hit that poswith my tm16000 for example.... but I fly xp11 only few times recently. However, if I fly i do it with a good model from Peter Hager which emulates real operating quite well. And online in the vatsim Network with real Air Control!

F1Aussie likes this.
  15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Will check it out, cheers

16. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

Virpil I would go for mainly for me for Star Citizen. I like their constellation grip. The base looks very solid made to last too.
    Throttle looks sweet also :)
    top it off with one of these https://www.facebook.com/RGcustom
    30629211_590706934614543_5043084619675598848_n.jpg

Narrowbackwing and Prodigy like this.
  17. Comante

Comante Registered

F1Aussie likes this.