Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. EricW

EricW Registered

This should indeed be implemented somehow.
    Such an easy fix for many issues I was having and don't have anymore.
    This is at least stable.
    Hope it will fit in easily and options will be added to the UI to generate the .ini

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Well I do run 1.6 SS in Steam but drop to 1.2 for Aussie Legends ! But in MSI AB my GPU is mid to high 90 % area while CPU is 25 - 40 % .
    In Task Manager my CPU idles at 2% with no spikes unless i instigate it ;)

3. Moriz Mehl

Moriz Mehl Registered

I just got my VR headset and noticed that head movements are inverted in rf2 (but roll, yaw and pitch are fine). Does anyone have a possible solution?
    EDIT: I found that after reinstalling rf2 the trackIR plugin was on, which caused this strange behaviour

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  4. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Could you attach your file to the forum to take it as example?

5. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I tried but
    The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.

Anyway the contents of mine are just
    Code:
    supersampleRatio=1.8

MaD_King likes this.
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah but as I wrote, you can't look at the total CPU usage and draw any conclusions from it, because an i7 has 8 or 12 threads, which rF2 cannot utilize. You should only look at one core and see if it goes to 100%. With one thread at 100% you have theoretically only 12% CPU usage but would still be CPU limited.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah I got that but I never see high usage from CPU on any core using MSI AB or Task Manager ! I think max is about 40% ! While GPU is rocking high 90's . That makes me think my CPU is working fast enough for the GPU to be working at max .
    I'll have to make a vid showing usage .

Playing ACC I get another story , my CPU.is at 60% on all cores yet my GPU is also in the 60's if I try to simulate VR by running 1920x1200 and the same Ai (19) and only getting 90 odd fps while all cars are in view ! So i feel I'm being limited by CPU here because my GPU is sitting at a relaxed 60% but if i increase resolution my GPU load increases to 99% taking the load off CPU .

Ive never played rF2 at 1920x1200 on a single screen so haven't got comparable numbers .

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  8. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

MaD_King likes this.
  9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi
    Can someone, please, explain what should I do? My oculus doesn’t work after the last update... thanks

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Last update of what Wajdi?

GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Here is a vid showing my usages in rF2 . Please tell me what you think !

12. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    GTClub_wajdi likes this.
  13. Puffpirat

Puffpirat Registered

Hello everyone. I just signed up because I noticed something that seems to have been discussed already two years ago but is still there.

We had a Sebring endurance event on Saturday and the experience in the Rift got really stuttery when the sun set. Today I checked why ASW didn't catch that and found an odd behavior between ASW Auto and forced 45FPS ASW on. Reprojection is unchecked in SteamVR settings as it should be.

FPS was measured with the Oculus performance HUD enabled. The test scenario was a rolling start with formation lap at Sebring in LMP2s, 20 AI cars, starting P10 at night. With ASW forced off I had FPS between 70-80 throughout the whole formation lap. Which means ASW should kick in all the time, and only after the field stretches out go back to 90 FPS.

What it did was periodically going up from 45 to 60-70, then back down again, in something like a 3s rhythm. Halfway into the second lap FPS jumped to 90 and stayed there, so that worked. FPS looked like this and it felt super laggy (couldn't get it recorded properly sorry):

upload_2018-10-1_17-5-32.png

With forced 45 FPS ASW on, it worked like it should, FPS were a constant 45 FPS throughout the formation lap and the experience was smooth, what I would expect from ASW.

So the question is, where does this odd periodical behavior come from and why doesn't the framerate stay at 45? ASW seems to work, even through SteamVR, and forced on it felt really smooth, but auto is nearly unplayable. Is this something on rFactor or SteamVR side?

14. EricW

EricW Registered

I could be wrong, but as far as I know this is controlled by what is driving your VR set, not the simulator or game.
    Have you already tried the same test in OpenVR and see how it behaves then?
    My guess is it will be working as it should, at least that is what I experience.

15. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

16. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Thank you... only USB conflicts resolved already.

Eddy likes this.
  17. Puffpirat

Puffpirat Registered

I haven't tried it in OpenVR, just know it works in direct Oculus mode, for example pCars over steam. rF2 is the first game I played over SteamVR that's why I think the problem is somewhere there.

18. stonec

stonec Registered

@2ndLastJedi Ok so I was wrong, those CPU numbers are great, lots of headroom. GPU should normally be at 100%, but I can think of two reasons why not. One is that you have FPS locked to 45 or 90 in VR and there is extra power left in the GPU that won't be needed due to the frame rate lock. Second would be a PCI-E bottleneck.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Well VR locks it to 90 by itself but i do have a cap of 93 in RTSS and use Ctrl 1 to remove ASW so framerate can drop as needed without going all the way back to 45 . What would cause a PCI-E bottleneck and how to check that ?

20. EricW

EricW Registered

We think the same, and many others I believe.
    And wether it's the implementation of SteamVR in RF2, or steamVR on it's own.... up till now it has not been a very good marriage imho.
    At least not for my hardware, gtx1070, Older I7 12 core, oculus CV1.
    Did some more driving tonight on the DLL and it turned into my absolute favourite.
    Still have some low framerates during the starts, but i think I can improve that with the settings.
    Overall it is much smoother and very connected.
    Great fun

Puffpirat likes this.