CS-closed McLaren Shadow rFactor 2 Qualifier

Discussion in 'Official Competitions & Contests' started by Christopher Elliott, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I understand, but in your post you mentioned car setup. It may have sounded different to how you intended, but you appeared to suggest a 29 (2.5 seconds faster!) would only be possible if the fast guys shared their setup. Someone reading that might now think that someone with 10 years experience in sims thinks setups are worth 2-3 seconds, which is only true if the default setup is very poor or particularly unsuited to the track. But I'm not attacking you or anything, I just like to point out what fast guys do with basically no setup to try and help people stop blaming setup for being slow - and I mean guys doing, say, 36s or 37s here. They will do their 3 hours practice and hit their limits, and say it's setup stopping them. Meanwhile even guys doing 34s can watch their laps and see what they're doing wrong, but those same people think they're at the limit, while the ones doing 32s can see their mistakes, etc.

I've seen guys do tens of thousands of hours (online, time logged, so not a rough estimation and not false time as counted by the rF2 launcher being open) in rF1 and stay at the same level relative to the rest of the field, and other guys do hundreds or maybe 1-2 thousand hours and go from near the back to absolutely annihilating that same field (one loaded up this competition and within a couple of hours at most had a 30.1 on the board). I think practice is important, as an overall measure, to establish a baseline and habits that can then be changed (instead of driving differently every lap, which is very difficult to judge setups with or change driving habits/style when you don't have one), but then as with anything it needs to be targeted practice. Too few people still don't even watch replays of their own driving, let alone try to watch faster drivers (or they only watch faster drivers, and because they haven't studied their own driving they think they're doing the same thing, and go back to blaming setup).

Not all directed at you SL1DE, so don't take offense :)

Ho3n3r and Pedro Delgado2 like this.
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

This this hotlap competition, is the road set to static, because I swear when 2 other people joined the server I was in, after about 15mins the track gripped up and had a potential lap of 0.8 seconds faster than my pb but I spun it under braking .

Am Imagining this sudden grip gain of the track

ekki likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

Thank Lazza I found the setup.

Can I ask you another question, I seem to remember in rudys video, he was able to change wings in the tuning menu without having to exit the server, just clicked on the select car option at the bottom of the standings screen.

That option for me is greyed our so to say and I can’t select it, do you know how he was able to this

4. Pedro Delgado2

Pedro Delgado2 Registered

He was able to do that because he was not on the official competition server... To do so you need to re-open the game and select the aero pack that you wish to use on the tuning menu

patchedupdemon likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@patchedupdemon As Pedro said, Rudy wasn't on the competition server. That's why he's not on the list (last time I checked). It's also why at one point in his video he started catching another car. This means his time probably should be considered approximate, could be a couple of tenths faster or slower depending on exact rubber level, unless he knows which preset they've used (assuming they did).

As for rubbering, I'm pretty sure they would set it to static. I spent an hour in there and was on bad lines often enough I would have expected to see some wider lines appearing, but they didn't.

6. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

Nah, I think I worded it wrong, but if I got their setup I would probably only improve to a mid 31. I said if I got their setup I would still be a few seconds off. Being able corner faster will result in more lap time even if you don't have the ability to push the car to the limit.

7. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

I d like to have in pit menu an indicator for overall grip level like for temperature, e.g. calculated and updated every minute by analyzing an theoretical ideal line (ai info), giving you the average or so

8. GiulioS

GiulioS Registered

Another little gain in the first and in the last sector, but a little loss of time in the middle sector...
    Again I'm not comfortable in arrive at Maggots & Becketts in full throttle... In any case, what do you think? :)

9. Joe.Mc

Joe.Mc Registered

can anyone running the r2 rear wing share their setup? I cant do the old turn 1 flat with this wing and ive been making changes for hours and cant do it just always understeers wide

10. Comante

Comante Registered

What this competitiom is reminding me, is how important to not let tires slide. Once the tire "disconnect" from the ground it may take a long time to grip again, this because of the extreme speed, torque and braking power of these cars. This to say that clean driving is overall faster than simply pushing hard to make every single turn a bit faster, especially if the plan is to simply enter faster in a turn.
    Btw with the setup someone provided at page 2, I've scored a 1.32.9 , I see I could be a little faster, but I Think my braking ability need to improve.

11. Dudo

Dudo Registered

Hi. after clicking on "Registration is now open", it will appear
    rFactor2 login
    Please login to apply for competitions (you will need a Steam account)
    and nothing happens. I just made a registration and everything was ok. It does not work for the second time.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Dudo Sorry if I misunderstood, but did you click on that?

13. patchedupdemon

Finally got into the 1:30s albeit a 1:30.994 lol it’s took me three days to gain just under a tenth lol

God knows how people do 1:29s,

14. Joe.Mc

Joe.Mc Registered

is anyone willing to share setups for this? im just really interested to see how other people do setups

15. Dudo

Dudo Registered

I do not see a click on the steam, but even when it is not visible, there is a link on the blank area, so I signed up.

16. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

I've lost a whole session of quali. I'd done it, and it didn't appear in the results. It doesn't really matter if I'm 800th or 700th, but it's still annoying :(
    If I had had 1.28.x, I would have hung myself already :D This is why it's better to be average :)
    Capture.JPG Capture02.JPG

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. patchedupdemon

Same here I got into the 1:30s but it’s not logged the time on the competition site.

@Marcel Offermans are you aware of something going wrong yesterday

I’m not too bothered as I’m not in the top 30 but would like to make you aware

Balazs Magyar likes this.
  18. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

'Scroll to self' doesn't work for me on the results page (Win 7, latest Firefox)

19. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Marcel acknowledged that there was a problem on discord, and advised that all files would be hopefully be rescanned by end of today (European time).

patchedupdemon and Balazs Magyar like this.
  20. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

My time has arrived... to the results table. I'm not in the mid 800s anymore, but in the mid 700s! Yay :D
    I can improve more than a second/100 places per day! Do it, if you can, you Not Average People!

Certified member of "It's better to be average" movement

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.