OSW / FFB & GT3pack

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by philmcqueen, May 27, 2018.

1. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Hello,

maybe already knowned, but i´ve notice a huge difference between the CALLAWAY and the BENTLEY and the MERCEDES

The CALLAWAY have , with the same STEERING WHEEL setting, a "STRONG" ffb in compare to the BENTLEY and the MERCEDES.

I use 0.73 FFB and 1 of smoothness

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yes. I think it's because of the differences in the steering geometries between the cars.

Emery likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Out of curiosity, have you configured your wheel's torque in the .ini files? (and if so, what did you set it to?)

Generally I think it's quite difficult to achieve a nice balance across cars with FFB, because the mod maker needs to set the nominal max steering torque which the game scales the FFB on, but the actual forces you generate can depend so much on vehicle setup (mainly caster), track, and tyre compound. The game probably needs to be more active in changing the FFB scale between cars to achieve a consistent experience (on wheels that can't generate true forces [providing the user hasn't asked for proper scaling between cars]).

In the meantime you're best off checking FFB output levels and adjusting the car specific FFB mult.

4. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Everything is set the same way for the 4 cars:
    -Bentley
    -Callaway
    -MCLaren
    -Mercedes

Here is the .JSON file details:

"Force Feedback":{
    "Brake effects on steer axis":1,
    "Brake effects on steer axis#":"0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Brake effects strength":-7500,
    "Brake effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all brake effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Brake spring coefficient":1,
    "Brake spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Brake spring saturation":1,
    "Brake spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Clutch effects on steer axis":1,
    "Clutch effects on steer axis#":"0 = Clutch effects on clutch axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Clutch effects strength":10000,
    "Clutch effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all clutch effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Clutch spring coefficient":1,
    "Clutch spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Clutch spring saturation":1,
    "Clutch spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "G920_workaround":true,
    "G920_workaround#":"Workaround for Logitech G920 firmware bugs ... may need to turn this off after firmware update if it gets fixed.",
    "Gearbox effects on steer axis":1,
    "Gearbox effects on steer axis#":"0 = Gearbox effects on gearbox 'axis', 1 = brake effects on steering axis.",
    "Gearbox effects strength":10000,
    "Gearbox effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all gearbox effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Gearbox spring coefficient":1,
    "Gearbox spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Gearbox spring saturation":1,
    "Gearbox spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Ignore controllers":0,
    "Ignore controllers#":"Do not use FFB on: 1=controller1, 2=cntrlr2, 4=cntrlr3, 8=cntrlr4, 16=cntrlr5, 32=cntrlr6, 64=cntrlr7, 128=cntrlr8 (or add values to ignore multiple controllers, for example 255 ignores all)",
    "Jolt magnitude":1.5,
    "Jolt magnitude#":"How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.",
    "Off-road multiplier":0.6,
    "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",
    "Other spring coefficient":0.5,
    "Other spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Other spring saturation":0.05,
    "Other spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Rumble strip magnitude":0.1,
    "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
    "Rumble strip pull factor":0.5,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",
    "Steering effects strength":-10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
    "Steering resistance coefficient":1,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0.1,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
    "Steering spring coefficient":1,
    "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering spring saturation":0.005,
    "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering torque capability":30,
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
    "Steering torque extrap blend":0,
    "Steering torque extrap blend#":"Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)",
    "Steering torque extrap time":0.015,
    "Steering torque extrap time#":"Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)",
    "Steering torque filter":1,
    "Steering torque filter#":"Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)",
    "Steering torque minimum":0,
    "Steering torque minimum#":"Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction",
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult":1,
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult#":"Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)",
    "Steering torque sensitivity":1,
    "Steering torque sensitivity#":"Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high",
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult":0.3,
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult#":"Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque",
    "Test_workaround":true,
    "Test_workaround#":"Workaround for apparent driver CTD on release",
    "Throttle effects on steer axis":1,
    "Throttle effects on steer axis#":"0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.",
    "Throttle effects strength":10000,
    "Throttle effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all throttle effects (force, vibration, static spring, etc?)",
    "Throttle spring coefficient":1,
    "Throttle spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Throttle spring saturation":1,
    "Throttle spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Type":1,
    "Type#":"Type of force feedback: 0=off 1=wheel 2=joystick 3=rumble\/gamepad 4=custom",
    "Use thread":true,
    "Use thread#":"Use a separate thread to issue FFB commands which may block with some drivers"

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Assuming those cars have a nominal max torque below 30Nm (which you've set your wheel torque capability to) it's likely you're just experiencing the difference in steering torque generated by their geometries. What we can't be sure of as end users is whether any power steering present in vehicles is taken into account (though rF2 doesn't 'model' power steering directly, the forces can be scaled down quite simply during the modding process).

I would say your options are to either treat it as a point of difference between the cars and put up with it, or log the FFB output and scale the Callaway (with the vehicle specific FFB, which I assume still works with a wheel torque set) so it's at a level you're happy with.

philmcqueen likes this.
  6. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

I also think, there are more differences as the power of the FFB. When i understeer with a GT3, the force will reduce extremely, that doesn't at endurance pack car, that all feels greate. I think the caster of the axle in the GT3 are to low or the interpreation of the FFB for the caster are a little too low. Pleas ecompare by your self. And btw, the same problem, like the GT3 cars has also the new three formular 1, that released this week.

Best wishes from germany, Manuel

7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Wonder if s397 can do what they did with the f2 to the gt3 pack Include a adjustable caster option to the setup. It's clear to me that it's just not non dd wheels that have the light ffb issue but dd too.

Although adding caster is probably not a real life option, for the sake of a sim for more stronger ffb has to be the way to go. Without messing with steering geometry etc ect

And this is the sole reason why i don't get people moani g about acc ffb to me it feels like a proper weighted machine on slicks... Dampened too much my a$$

Kickbox likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@LokiD Adding caster does affect steering geometry. This is why it's possible the difference in fall-off behaviour (ie the FFB dropping more with understeer in one car than another) may be a reflection of reality.

The F2 was modified (by default) to stop people who didn't want to understand that different cars can feel different from complaining. The devs never said its FFB was an error, quite the opposite in fact. If one car has lighter FFB than another, or the FFB response has a different profile, a sim should reflect that.

Kickbox and kimbo like this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

U seem to not realise that even if the physics were calculated almost realistically, it may not convey great on plastic toy wheels with an fraction of the torque of the real thing, hence there has to be compromise.

U want ultra realistic do a track day Don't expect your toy wheel to act the same. If we have to fudge numbers to make it feel more real hey f it. But no steering rack on race car is ever going to be that light.

So. I take it u think the merc ffb is right to?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  10. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

The big problem is, the people talk about FFB feeling, settings and characteres of cars, but forgot to say, what they are using type of steering system. With the DD, the 3 new Formula1 and the GT3-Pack from s.397 are with small caster are not so good to drive, the endurance feels very good and plausible. When its not so many work, i would install my old T500RS and test it again. May be I should do that.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@LokiD Actually I think the game should come as standard with a 'weak wheel' preset which automatically scales the different cars so they feel reasonable on cheap wheels, and have a simple slider or two for people to adjust it a bit to their liking (like steering torque sensitivity, currently only available in the controller file). Then have another preset (or mode) or two aimed at stronger (mainly belt-driven) and then DD wheels.

None of that changes the fact that different cars may handle differently. Even if peak FFB matches the behaviour in different scenarios may differ, and it would be remiss of a sim not to reflect that.

As for the merc, I have no idea. I don't have it.

Alex72 and LokiD like this.
  12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

i agree what you say there. DD and non DD preset.. I did mention this when the f2 was changed, at least keep people that are happy with it satisfied to. :)

Kickbox likes this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Do everyone feel the same about the Endurance cars regarding FFB and better feel with them compared to GT3 and new McLaren formulas? I only tested the GT3 cars on an old wheel and i havent had the chance to test the endurance pack or the new McLaren's. Gonna setup the pit tonight.

14. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

No, I think the road feel is superior in the GT3 pack and rather flat in the Endurance cars (not tried the LMP:s), but other than that I think they FFB in general is good on both but the GT3 pack an notch better. I'm on OSW/SimuCube.

Alex72 likes this.
  15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I dont have DD yet so maybe it wont translate for me anyway. Just as i read this thread i wondered if others felt the same as they said here. Cheers.