Released McLaren Historical Racecars!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Sep 17, 2018.

1. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

My respect to Studio 397 for the best free content ever !!!!!
    i did a versus test with all 3 new cars.

1.McLaren M23 is really gives a better more accurate driving feel than Brabham 44B and March.
    2.McLaren MP4/8 made a huge smile on my face and feels so much better than the ASR cars. (very Addictive car, can make rounds around Suzuka and forget that there is a real life)
    3.McLaren MP4/13 screaming for more and more !!!!!

all tests done in Matsusaka made by Woochoo.
    A completely successful DLC and 3 more steps forward.
    Cheers :)

2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

The good thing about the SHH is that its cheaper than TH8 from Thrustmaster even with shipping from Spain. For me its almost half price and friends say its good. The Elite pedals i looked at so probably will get them. Just shipping heavy stuff is annoying money wise lol. :D

Christos Segkounas likes this.
  3. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Now i have tested all the three cars at zandvoort and they are all great to drive.
    Very well done. The models are nice done, maybe there could be the one and the other further skin.
    Sound wise the cars are ok, but not as great as they could be.
    For example the Bentley has a absolutely well done sound that compares very good to the rl car.
    Also it would be great and time to focus on sound for example in replay mode etc.
    Doppler Effect would be a nice have to :p
    I'm dreaming of a rf2 with sounds, as stunning as the new lighting pictures are :p
    Thanks for the great cars for free.

Richard Hessels and Alex72 like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Doppler effect is already there, been there since rF1 days. It even used a speed of sound of 300m/s (instead of a more realistic ~340) to exaggerate it slightly, can't remember if rF2 has carried that on. It'll be in the player.JSON.

Hopefully we do get some improvements in sounds at some point, it's an area too often overlooked - probably because you can't see it :D

GroupC likes this.
  5. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Thanks for clarification. Maybe my ears are too damaged from the one or other top fuel dragster. Yes I totally agree. Sound is one of the most important components after physics and look. Just compare a modern f1 car with the old beasts. Goosebumps everywhere :p

Alex72 likes this.
  6. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

You might mean reverb. That would be awesome!

Alex72 and Nitrometh like this.
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Is it just me or are other having the mirrors not be adjustable on.the M23 ? It seems the old F1 cars have this issue , the March also ! But most all other adjust to where i need them in VR .

Balazs Magyar and Seven Smiles like this.
  8. oppolo

oppolo Registered

Yes. I cant see anything behind

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  9. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

I noticed something bit odd in the FFB of the M23. Running on a big Mige here with Biss-C encoder. So it's super strong (when i want it to be) and very accurate.
    While driving, there is already a lot of steering going on around the center of the wheel. Than it gets very progressively more heavy, just a bit beyond that level than there is a very noticable dropoff in force. Other cars don't have it as strong as this. Those forces should drop bit more gradually from my point of view. That's already before the car starts to get loose of loosing grip.
    Felt a bit like driving a bike where you balance on a very narrow grip level. Changing your weight from one side to the other.
    Love the car BTW. that car loves Zandvoort.

Marcel Offermans likes this.
  10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

No, you are not alone.

11. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Talking about FFB did you notive at the Brabham 44B FFB and March to give a feel like "squishing a balloon" ?
    The M23 feels a lot better than brabham and March

12. Comante

Comante Registered

Maybe the reason is the contact patch of the wheel that is influence by caster and suspension geometry. Dunno.

13. 006

006 Registered

I have to agree with this, surely this car is a massive amount too fast?

14. whitmore

whitmore Registered

With the mp4 / 8 my accuforce wheel has good feeling for the front of the car but the rear is numb. The rear is either planted or gone nothing in between

15. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Can you elaborate concerning laptimes?
    How easily the car can go through Eau Rouge flat is irrelevant unless the real car's performance through there is well documented for a meaningful comparison.

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Gave the M23 a spin today, the first car of the bunch. So there is still some stuff to discover and I am not even close to having tested anything completely. What I can say so far is that the FFB of that car is excellent - allmost out of this world, even on my DFGT. No tweaking or what so ever needed. You get in the car, you drive and you feel everything. How the suspension loads or unloads, how the tyre flexes and grips and it is just a joy to drive around Zandvoort with that car. There is nothing that makes me wonder how the car is reacting and you feel in control. People who say that ACC or PCars 2 feel similar have a very wierd perception, because you won't find any car with such a detailed FFB and dynamic physics anywhere else. Never. That's how good that car is.

The internal sound is as with the BT44 and the March simply amazing and it makes reving through the gears very addictive and you get the "just one more lap"-syndrome. Sadly the great incar sound is still overshadowed by a catastrophic external sound. How on earth is it possible that we have great sounding cars like the FR3.5 or the C7R and then we have cars like the 911 RSR or the M23/March/BT44 where it sounds like a digital midi track from the 90's, so bad that it makes me chuckle, because it sounds like a bunch of little ducklings. :D

Graphic wise the car is ok, but it looks a bit flat with reflections lacking a bit. And there is a wierd flickering reflection inside the windscreen.

Something that I still don't get - free content or not. Why on earth is there not a nice selection of look-alike liveries for the 70s cars with proper talent files to give people the perfect immersion in a somewhat full field. Reiza shows perfectly how it is done and I see no reason why S397 shouldn't be up to the task. That's not just a problem with the M23, but pretty much any car in the sim and it is first of all a lost opportunity to showcase the content in the best possible way. I don't know how other users feel, but I don't get a sex-drugs-and-rock-roll-vibe while driving in a field with trackmania-like-colored cars. Please consider more of this:

https://cdn-8.latimages.com/images/mgl/LXqNj/s4/open-uri20121024-11180-e3xt5h.jpg

Bogdy likes this.
  17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

You forgot to add hitmaker in your opinion. Haha

But didn't reiza have to take down all their lookalike skins. Hmm just a guess as to why s397 stay away unless licensed.

For me I don't car what colour the cars are as long as there's a selection. And there's always a mod that will give you these.

Emery likes this.
  18. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

I've made some simple math.
    Interlagos is the only track that hasn't changed since 1993.

1993 pole was 1'15"866
    Senna did 1'17"697
    2017 pole 1'08"322
    2017 107% 1'14"263
    Prost wouldn't have qualified last year, Senna even less. Senna's time is 113.72% of 2017 pole time.

Now let's translate that to Silverstone.
    2018 pole 1'25"892
    2018 107% 1'32"646
    Current competition best lap 1'29"443 which is 104.13% of 2018 pole time.

Let's say for argument sake that the difference between 1993 and current gen is constant, 113.72% of Silverstone pole time is 1'37"67, only 8"23 seconds slower than rF2's version of the car.
    Even if you account for repaves, weather, etc, you have at least 5 seconds difference at Silverstone which is massive.

That and the fact that the car had DRS at first leaves me perplexed.

Louis and GrimDad like this.
  19. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

What do you mean the car had DRS, that wasn't introduced till 2011.
    There was this sort of "manual" DRS introduced and later banned but that wasn't on Senna's MP4/8 was it?
    I believe hotlapping lap times are unrealistic but still, based on your data,the car does indeed appear to be too fast which is never a good thing for a sim.

20. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

So, is it too fast? And is the reason too much grip? I havent had the possibility to test the McLaren's yet OR Sebring OR updated Zand.
    Maybe he meant the car was released with some left over DRS in the code? That wasnt impacting anything though i think? And it was fixed, so, not sure if thats what he meant.