Oculus rift going black

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by goose1, Sep 13, 2018.

1. goose1

goose1 Registered

as the title says my rift goes black randomly in practice/race , single/multi player . I have sound but no picture in my rift but i have picture mirrored on the monitor,there is no particular pattern as to when it happens . I can do practice , Qualy & be half way into a race ( 10-15 laps) when it happens . Deleted player JSON file & controller JSON files but this did not help . Now i did replace my hard drive & had to download & re install everything so it may have something to do with my settings , any help/ideas would be much appreciated .o_Oo_Oo_O

2. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

I had this issue a while ago, know Oculus problem. I posted this advice [worked for me] a few months ago:

"I don't know if anyone here has had an issue with their Rift going black, with sound still on, and then being chucked out to the desktop. I had been using my Rift for some time without issue, and then recently I had this issue. In the last couple of weeks it increased in frequency and could happen after 10 mins or half an hour.

After the last time, I did some research and found a couple of threads in the Oculus forum about this type of issue. I followed several pieces of advice and post here what has worked for me. This appears to relate to the sensor and the power from the USB 3.0 socket, perhaps after the last Windows 10 update. Anyway:

1. Completely remove the current Nvidia driver and do a fresh install of driver 388.71 [do not use a newer version].
    EDIT: Currently using version 398.82. Turn off Nvidia Experience
    2. Separate the headset USB 3 and the sensor USB 3 - in my case I had already purchased a USB 3 PCIe card. I now have the headset in this card and the sensor in a USB 3 port on the front of the computer.
    3. Windows power setting - I had this on the max power setting, but have now changed this to the balanced power setting.

Having done the above three things, I have not had a reoccurrence of the black screen issue and have used rF2 for many hours [practice and in races]. My system is - i5 6690K running @ 4.2 GHz, Strix 980 Ti and 16 GB RAM."

Hope this helps

Lance Link and JimmyT like this.
  3. Louis

Louis Registered

once they go black, they'll never go back :D

4. goose1

goose1 Registered

you could be right Mark , the only thing i have differently was plug the sensor & headset into the same usb port . Will rectify this . fingers crossed . Thx :D

5. Daniel Cuervo

Daniel Cuervo Registered

I have this problem right now guys. When you said Black Screen could you see the rF2 logo or you didn't see anything, only black? I can see rF2 logo and VR Content Loading, the Oculus tracking works, and the sound of the car too, at the same revs. I have to press ESC and the "rFactor 2 Don't respond" window apears... Thx