FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I like the idea, but my eyes can't take it :D

Filip and Ernie like this.
  2. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Now you guys just touched a point!

Using LookAhead.

Neils H. has a problem with that and I understand it as; when you turn the wheel to go in a corner, it shifts the view toward the inside but then, if the rear end pops out and you have to countersteer, the view shifts the other way and screws up your car control quite quickly.

I think that's where "Exaggerate Yaw" come's in (Yes I kown Neils) but I never, even after years of rF1, found a "symbiosis" between the two.

LookAhead is a must at low FOV but the view can't switch to the other side when going opposite lock!

Right now, I'm running very small numbers:
    "Exaggerate Yaw":0.15,
    "Lookahead Angle":0.10,

Anyone found a ratio or something?

mesfigas likes this.
  3. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

interesting question

4. Filip

Filip Registered

@MotherDawg
    Default Lookahead Angle is 0.2 so you reduced it to half of it?
    What Lookahead % did you set in UI? If it is 100% wouldn't you get same result with leaving default Lookahead Angle in .json and setting it to 50% in UI?
    In my understanding Lookahead Angle is max angle in radians and then in UI you can tune 0-100% of that max angle

P.S.
    That is in theory because there is a bug when entering controller settings resets this value back to hardcoded 0.2 so only solution is to quit the game, change json value and start again and not mess with UI settings or it will get back to 0.2 again.

MotherDawg likes this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@MotherDawg I played with those settings some time back, albeit with more than correct FOV (but still fairly low). I think it will take some time to adjust to different settings, I didn't change values in the files directly so if 0.2 radians is default then that's what I was using, I ended up on 0.90 look ahead and 0.90 exaggerate yaw (so, in simplistic terms, while the lookahead will want to turn away from the corner when you correct a slide, the slide itself will be turning into the corner... sort of balancing.. kind of... :confused:).

It's a bit like tweaking FFB, where your settings grow with you and you learn what you're looking for (pardon the pun) from them, making them useful for you. Someone else trying the same settings probably won't get it and won't like it. I wouldn't aim for any particular rule of thumb or magic ratio, it's all a compromise and there are no correct settings, just what you're most comfortable with (which could change over time too).

Strangely, or not, having now dropped to real FOV I've done away with look ahead and exaggerate yaw completely and just put up with not seeing slow apexes. But I always liked a quite static cockpit so that's probably why.

MotherDawg likes this.
  6. Filip

Filip Registered

I agree static cockpit is best for car control.
    But many tracks are undriveable for me without help of lookahead.
    As someone already noticed each track has at least one slow corner.

MotherDawg and mesfigas like this.
  7. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello,
    There is a lot to read here. I looked at several pages but I haven't managed to read everything in this topic yet :)

I am interested to know how you solved this! I have a concave screen (linear 430 cm) and at the end this represents a frame 260 cm wide / 146 cm height (max) (ratio +/- 16: 9), which gives a diagonal of 117.0 inch. My eyes are 1.70 cm from the deepest point of the screen.
    How can we calculate the FOV in this case ???
    I look forward to your responses because I do this randomly! I leave an image to take the measurements and a link to an extract but with a format less high 260 cm / height 126 cm / diagonal 114 inch.
    Screen01.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  8. redapg

redapg Registered

9. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

Have a look at this table maybe of help.

Attached Files:

• fov.pdf
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Rock is asking specifically about a curved screen. (otherwise the question has been answered multiple times already, and I'm sure he knows that)

I suspect there may be some way to project a corrected image, but I don't know any of the specifics. The game itself isn't able to do that, and I don't know that any of its built-in options would be a good enough compromise.

11. Rock

Rock Registered

Yes good remark Lazza.
    Currently I do with feeling for the fov but I do not use any formula. My intrigue is whether anyone has come up with a rule for this kind of configuration
    This kind of configuration will surely spread in the future as the VR does now.
    I can give an experience for this precise context: the FOV is important but not everything, the opening and deformation of the image (width) with a software Warping / Blending also has an influence for the depth of the image
    I will continue to read and watch this topic!

Yes I had the laziness to open a other youtube account just for a 1mn video ;-)) But I will replace it because it is of poor quality and does not show the visual field well.