The CMD server is not displayed in the launcher list

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JParra, Jul 3, 2018.

1. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello everyone.

I will try to be brief.

Currently we have been using a rFactor 2 CMD server in my community for over a year without much trouble.

Some time ago I had the problem that the server did not appear in the list after an update and very aptly Marcel Offermans suggested me in this thread; that adds "validate" to the command line. This was perfect for me and the server was again on the list.

Now I have not updated, I have only changed to a new Mod with the same server that last week we played a race and has disappeared again from the list.

I have updated the server with the command that Marcel proposed to me, but it remains the same.

steamcmd + login anonymous + force_install_dir ../rf2-cmd-b + app_update 400300 validate + quit

Also, to discard the new Mod, I have loaded the one we had until yesterday and it is not shown either.

All the circuits and the vehicle are downloaded from the Workshop creating a batch file with the command for each of the items:

steamcmd.exe + login User Pass + workshop_download_item 365960 1236224258 + quit
    steamcmd.exe + login User Pass + workshop_download_item 365960 827485485 + quit
    steamcmd.exe + login User Pass + workshop_download_item 365960 560488790 + quit

That could be happening?

Obviously I discard ports issue, because as I say, it is a server that was working perfectly until Mod changed.

Greetings and thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  2. JParra

JParra Registered

It is not possible for that to happen. As you say, I have two different installations and I have installed the new mod in which we were using so far without problems. In fact, when choosing the mod to boot I see the mod that we were using so far and I only have these two. There is no doubt.

The strangest thing is that before installing the new mod it looked perfectly with the old one and now you can not see the server neither with the new nor with the old one.

I will try to uninstall the new mod to see if this is the problem, but we have done so many times downloading from workshop without problems.

3. JParra

JParra Registered

I'm crazy already and I do not know what to do.
    Yesterday we race in my community and I could create a provisional mod to install it on the other server and everything it worked great.

I have reviewed the multiplayer configuration, the ports of the router, I have updated as indicated correctly and nothing works.

I do not want to reinstall because I have a hotlaps system installed and configured for that server, so I ask you if there is any way or tool with which I can test where the problem is, something that will help me see if the problem is in some port or something, because the server seems to work perfectly.

By the way, if I choose LAN in the list of servers I have never seen my server from another PC in the same local network Is this normal? Should I do something extra to be able to see it? Is that way I would rule out server problems and I would focus on the issue of visibility on the internet.

Thanks again and regards.

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

If it works on 1 server and not another then there is something wrong with that user. It is probably a port thing. If not it can be faster to setup a new server username with new ports than trying to fix the broken one.

You have setup the server shortcut to look for the correct username?

5. JParra

JParra Registered

You have setup the server shortcut to look for the correct username?
    Yes. And it is the strangest thing, that server worked correctly until I stopped it to install the new mod, I started and the problems started.

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

It has to be a port issue like @Mangoletsi is saying.
    So to be clear
    You have a different user folder for each server?
    Another way to ask is
    Each sever is looking at a different username through the shortcut +profile=xxxxx (x being your player folder name)
    Then each server has different ports?
    Can you show us the port numbers opened for each server

7. JParra

JParra Registered

Yes of course:

Two installations in separate folders. I know that rF2 allows several servers just to create several user names, but our Hotlaps system requires two independent installations:

Server "A"
    Installation path: C: \ Racing \ rfactor2-dedicated
    Username: Player
    Access to start: "C: \ Racing \ rfactor2-dedicated \ Bin64 \ rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" + path = ".."
    Ports assigned in multiplayer.JSON:
    "HTTP Server Port": 64297,
    "Simulation Port": 20171,​

Server "B"
    Installation path: C: \ Racing \ rf2-cmd-b
    Username: Player
    Access to start: "C: \ Racing \ rf2-cmd-b \ Bin64 \ rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" + path = ".."
    Ports assigned in multiplayer.JSON:
    "HTTP Server Port": 64300,
    "Simulation Port": 20172,​

• Windows Firewall disabled
    • Ports opened and redirected to the server from the router:
      • Server A: 64297 (HTTP TCP) 64298 (HTTP-1 UDP) 64299 (HTTP-2 UDP) 20171 (Simulation)
      • Server B: 64300 (HTTP TCP) 64301 (HTTP-1 UDP) 64302 (HTTP-2 UDP) 20172 (Simulation)

Thanks again

8. JParra

JParra Registered

I know that what seems is a problem of ports, and so I would believe it if it were not because, without touching anything of the configuration, the server has gone from going all right for more than a year, to suddenly not being seen in the list. Very strange

9. JParra

JParra Registered

Guys, at the end I've taken the way I did not want, reinstallation, because this problem is taking me longer than it is to reinstall the hotlaps service.
    - Renamed broken installation directory.
    - Installed new server in the same direction as before.
    - Copy player and multiplayer files
    - Installed the mod and its components
    - Start and everything perfect.

I'm left with the desire to know what happened with the previous installation, maybe if one day it happens again, I'll fight again to find the solution.

Thanks to all for your participation.

PS: I'm not going to put the issue as solved because it has not really solved the problem as such.

Greetings.

10. JParra

JParra Registered

Although that does not explain why both servers now work after the reinstallation, and keeping the ports that I have put, I understand that you tell me that my gamming PC connected to the same LAN as the server, should have different ports configured, that is, different from the default.
    I also understand that it will not matter if I change the ports from server "A", or those of the game PC.
    I thought that those open ports were only used when hosting games, not using a normal game installation.
    Also comment that in the router not only are the mentioned ports open, but they are redirected to the IP of the server, not to all the IPs.

Greetings

11. JParra

JParra Registered

Well, I think I've understood both times.
    My question is;
    If I change the ports of my gaming PC, would I avoid the conflict with the server?

I say it, because it's easier for me.

Thank you

12. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello again guys.
    I have the same problem again.
    The server is working perfectly until I stop it, I install a new Mod and when it starts it does not appear in the server list.

Actually, I'm too lazy to reinstall the server every change of Mod.
    Does anyone have an idea that it can happen so that it does not appear on the Steam list just for a Mod change, without touching configurations or anything else?

Thanks again, I will continue investigating and if I find the solution on my part, I will share it with you.

Greetings.

13. JParra

JParra Registered

The same, again. New reinstallation of the CMD server, copy of player and multiplayer files, installation of the same mod and to work without problems.

I do not understand anything.

14. JParra

JParra Registered

Again I had to change mod on the server, and again the same problem.

This is exasperating ...

I'm going to reinstall again, I know what works, but it seems a lot to have to do it every time I change the mod.

15. Felipe Granado

Felipe Granado Registered

Try this:
    • Server A: 54297 (SIMPORT TCP and UDP) 64297 (HTTP TCP) 64298-64299 (HTTP UDP) .json (Simport = 54297)
    • Server B: 54298 (SIMPORT TCP and UDP) 64300 (HTTP TCP) 64301-64302 (HTTP UDP) .json (Simport = 54298)

16. JParra

JParra Registered

The fast way to repair and stay working at soon, that I finded, is the next:

1. Compress the folder of broken instalation.
    2. Install a clean version of CMD server.
    3. Decompress the broken version on to the clean instalation.

And simply works.
    Why works? I don't know, but works...

If anybody find anyway to repair this problem more easy, please tell me because the problem is not solutionate at all.

17. JParra

JParra Registered

Sorry, I read your response now. Next time I test it. Thanks.

Felipe Granado likes this.
  18. JParra

JParra Registered

Hello again.

I have installed a new Mod and I have had the same problem again.

This time I have done the following tests:

As I could not open the ports on the router at that moment, I changed the simport port from multiplayer.json in "Simulation Port": to 54298 following the recommendation of Felipe Granado and I could see again the server in the list of servers, but obviously It gave me connection lost because the port was not open and redirected on the router.

Then I changed it to the port I had previously and curiously I could see the server and enter with the new mod.

This was already an advance because with this simple double port change, I could solve the problem without having to reinstall the entire CMD server.

But when I came back to change Mod it was the problem and I had to do the double port change in multiplayer.json every mod change.

Finally, when I was able to open and redirect the ports on the router with the new port, all Mod changes, even installing a new one, worked without problems.

A very curious situation that has occurred in that server specifically, since in the rest of the three servers that I have on the same machine, we have not had this problem.

Thus:

Problem solved.
    Unsolved mystery.

Thank you very much everyone for the follow-up and help.

Greetings. ;)