When sex was safe

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Amanda Santini, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

vYQFIfWA31KNM.jpg
    Sorry for OT :D
    Rouen is really fantastic. Love to drive on it with the bluebird and the 320I Turbo.
    Wasn't there a great McLaren mod around with some great (24h?) cars?
    I just don't know how their correct name is.

2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

From the original post (excerpt):
    "You wanna know the best feeling I've felt on these tracks? FREEDOM. Freedom to roam on real civilian roads, seeing real plantation fields, people's homes. Freedom of not being in prison, a track where I feel more like a lab rat than a driver.
    I WANT MORE OF THIS."

======

VERY BIG GRIN, here as I was exchanging rants with some league-mates on this very topic just last night.

Situation: I was supposed to be racing "vintage F1" cars at Zandvoort last night (very early wing cars--Eagle type and Lotus type), only Zandvoort turned out to be modern Zandvoort (the newest kart track), and I was in a V12...and bored utterly to tears. The first part of Zandy is still somewhat like it's old self up through Sheivlak, but then...and this is just where you might start to experience the joy of driving a V12...

...the track is lobotomized. Chopped in half and then stomped on and mangled into an abomination of its former self. Ugh! Ugh-glee!

=======

I didn't race. I went instead over to Felderbergring in Assetto Corsa to drive the Porsche 356A mod (which is a LOT slower, but also much more challenging and fun). Had a good time all by myself.

I have similar fun in rF2 when I drive "Old Spa." IMO if the haybales issues were addressed (maybe the fence-posts have already been addressed? I don't recall having hit one in quite some time)...and if somebody could give me a dozen or so other old circuits like Spa--the OPEN ROAD idea behind racing (I can only imagine how much fun Targa Florio of Old Spa quality might be... :D)...

I would probably be set for life.
    -----
    FWIW, I bought into rF2 the very first day, lifetime membership...and after just a lap or two of Old Spa I stepped away and said it was worth every penny of the eighty dollars or so it cost me.

After the S397 takeover I had to buy in again, and it was STILL worth every penny I paid the second time 'round, and having not driven it for several years--it's just that good. And then there's Old Monaco too....

Don't mind me--I'm just remembering again why it is I do this too.

And then there's Longford...oh man! Talk about a wealth of riches!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. Christopher Snow

4. Christopher Snow

About Sean Edwards: I knew Sean (only passingly myself) as an up-and-coming youngster who used to come into VROC (the Grand Prix Legends chat/race hookup room) and wax enthusiastic about his fathers* F1 career...and about his own karting (at least as I recall it many years later). Took me a while to realize Sean was Guy's son.

[* Sean's father is Guy Edwards, former F1 driver]

Fast forward: Sean himself was a well known and well respected Porsche GT3 FIA driver, and was also quite talented in other cars.

My most recent league-mate knew Sean VERY well, and was, in fact his North American host when Sean would come over to our side of the pond to race...and being a former real-world racer himself they had quite a lot in common.

I'm always the last to get the memo, but my understanding is: Sean contributed quite a lot to the "Enduracers" mods, being in the unique position of being not only very fast himself, but also a real world professional driving the same cars. I distinctly remember being online with him myself during the first 48 hours or so after the mods release reading his chats telling us we should all be driving the first version of the mod with Traction control ON..."because the cars are designed to use traction control. I know, because I race one professionally**"

[* paraphrasing mine, and apologies to Sean's shade if I've misrepresented him here]

I know my league-mate was very saddened at Sean's passing, and still is. Not just because he was a such a fine, enthusiastic young guy, but because he was a torch-holder going forward, and our sport doesn't have enough of those. To lose even one really hurts.

Louis, jayarrbee36, GrimDad and 2 others like this.