Linux

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by thmxvr, Aug 22, 2018.

1. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

vittorio likes this.
  2. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Ninjaed!
    Thanks for posting. Will definitely test that too as soon as possible. rF2 with wine worked before, but I expect this to be a better experience.:cool:

3. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

I did not managed to get it work :(
    The launcher window appears but I cannot launch the client in single player mode and the server list of the multiplayer is empty.
    The MAS utility works ok but that pretty much it.

Unfortunately I did not had the time or the disk space to let the 50GB download of workshop content finish. So this might be related.

4. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

After a bit more inverstiagtion I found the cause of the issue:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/xavier/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.

So basically a 64bit process tries to load a 32bit dll and it fails. Activating the "force 32-bit" option fixed the issue.

leillo1975 likes this.
  5. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

That said, you are now able to run rF2?

I've just activated steam beta and will now start the installation. I'm so excited to see where this ends! :D

6. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

I have been able to run the single player up to the menu, but I had no track available to test driving. The multiplayer server list is also working now, but the automatic download of the content did not work.

Long story short: I will have to wait for the workshop content to finish installing

leillo1975 and FuNK! like this.
  7. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

8. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

Same for me G27 no FFB otherwise very smooth and good performance. I tried all the FFB options and also the reset FFB but no succes.

leillo1975 likes this.
  9. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Now, after several hours of download and workshop verifications, everything is ready and set. But except for the launcher and MAS tool, the game doesn't start at all (not single, multi or dev).
    Forcing 32bit works, but only results in several errors like
    Code:
    0x7b462a36 start_process+0x105(entry=<couldn't compute location>, peb=<couldn't compute location>) [/home/proton/proton/wine/dlls/kernel32/process.c:1099] in kernel32 (0x0033ffd8)
    and
    Code:
    Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x0046b542).
    I've installed some (maybe) missing i386 libraries, but that changed zero (maybe less error messages now). However, still looks pretty much like there is still something missing.

Some information on my (current, not completely up-to-date) Linux system:
    Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit
    Cinnamon 3.6.7
    Kernel 4.15.0-33-generic
    Intel i5-4690K CPU @ 3.5GHz x 4
    GeForce GTX 1060 6GB @ nvidia-384.130

Of course, any suggestions for solutions are welcome :)

10. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

LOL...I should have done that before posting xD

I updated the driver already and now it works. Did not update to the newest driver directly (now have 390 running) and will try the latest later. Video settings and game start now!

12. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

FuNK! likes this.
  13. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Just to let you know: with version 390 the game will crash, so 396 is really required ;)

I'm using a good old Fanatec Porsche GT2 and the game seems to ignore any rotation or calibration settings. There is a deadzone of 20° or something. Only when I set the wheel to a rotation of around 300° there is no a more or less direct input.
    Anyone having a suggestion to fix this?
    I know that Fanatec provided a rules set for Fanatec wheels with their F1 2017 game conversion, but unfortunately I don't have the game and the rules file seems not available for download. Maybe anyone has and might wanna share? Name and directory is:
    Code:
    /home/steam/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/F1 2017/share/udev/fanatec-wheel-perms.rules
    According to them, this could also enable FFB :cool:

PS: there is also a rules file for Logitech wheels

14. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Hello, here is your file. Please, say me if it works.
    I included the entire folder with the logitech rules

Attached Files:

15. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

If someone check to play a race on online mode, please report it. I tried and the game downloads all the mods, tracks and cars that it needs, loads everything and go to monitor, but a few seconds later the game crash and go to launcher

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/245

16. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

I have been doing some investigation regarding the force feedback. I think I found the cause of the issue but this is still speculative and need to be confirmed with the wine debug facilities:

The generic Linux HID (human interface device) driver, which contrary to the Windows world, is the only driver used for every keyboard mouse joystick wheel gamepad.. (and any other HID really). This generic HID driver have support for force feedback but only the "Constant Force Effect", which you might be forgiven to think is the only one of significance for most of us (I would like to have a "Rumble effect" in my brake pedal to detect when I lock up my wheels, but I diverge). However the rfactor line of games (rf1, automobilista and rf2) appear to be using a "Periodic Effect" (like a sine or square wave) and changes the parameters of this effect constantly in a way that produces the desired forces.

Someone worked on a Linux driver supporting those effects (Logitech only):
    https://steamcommunity.com/groups/linuxff/discussions/0/405692224235574471/
    https://gitlab.com/janezka/LogitechFFDrivers
    But I get a compile error that I can't fix. I suspect the code was doing something funky with redefining public kernel symbols and somehow compiled and modern compilers throw an error instead of a warning or something. Moreover, if trying to use it with a recent kernel (I think >= 4.17) there are some new API changes that need to be taken care of.
    If someone manage to compile this, and test the new driver with rf2, I would appreciate any feedback. I also would appreciate any information on the compiler that manage to compile this and with what include dirs.

Another possibility would be to work around the issue, and write a rf2 plugin, that provide force feedback using the "Constant Force Effect". This is probably the less "amount of wok" or "time to hello world" to get something going.

leillo1975 likes this.
  17. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

It's very technical for me, I'm only an advanced user. I would ask to some friends to get help

18. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

OK, I myself don't have the time available to make the test and development work required. I am also a bit out of my comfort/knowledge zone when it comes to fixing the experimental drivers. But maybe in the future I will experiment with a plugin.

19. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

20. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered