FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

You can see in the project immersion website that Project Cars uses horizontal FOV.

2. kieferdl

kieferdl Registered

EPIC FAIL!!!
    That camera is set to wide angle and does not represent a realistic perspective at all.
    It does however illustrate the distortion present in all uncorrected wide angle lenses,just watch the bridge bow as we pass under...

3. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Interesting! Thanks for your reply Dude.
    So I have to recalculate my whole setup... nice!
    Exact dimentions are: 29.5 diag, width is 26.5, height is 11.125.

It happens... just look at me!

cos(arctan(11.125/26.5))*26.5 = 24.43417

That is small!!!
    I'll try lowering it gradually, I'll see as seat time goes by.

Thx again.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@MotherDawg my maths skills aren't what they used to be (and they were never fantastic), I'm not sure what you're calculating there?

My simple calculation is along the lines of (for vFOV) : 2(arctan(height/2/distance))

That's treating half the screen dimension as the opposite side of a right-angle triangle, arctan to work out theta, then doubling that to get the angle for the whole screen. You don't seem to have your viewing distance in there at all (unless it's also 26.5? You said 30 earlier).

Your diagonal measurement also doesn't add up with the width and height, assuming your screen is flat. But you might just be giving the specification of 29.5" size, while 11.125 might be your actual height measurement (which is the better one to use anyway).

5. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Ya, you're right !
    Screen width is actually 28.75
    Height is 11.25
    Distance is 25 inches... minus some dust.
    11.25/2/25 = 0.225
    tan-1 * 0.225 = 12.68
    2 * 12.68 = 25.36
    That is still quite narrow!

Running 34 for now. I'll lower it as I can...

6. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i dont trust those fov calculators
    they say i must set fov to 18 ......
    lal

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mesfigas They only tell you what you need to produce correct perspective. Rarely on single-screen is it practical to actually do it.

It's not a matter of trust, it's maths.

Filip and mesfigas like this.
  8. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i thought that i had to use fov calculator on my single 23 inch screen
    but it say that the correct is 18 which is unplyable
    a good fov for me is about 33

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@mesfigas Yeah, my 27" which I can just about reach with my fingertips gives me 28°, which is fine in medium or high speed corners but still leaves me blind on slow corners. Correct perspective/FOV is very cool but generally on single screens it's not useful, the 'window' just isn't big enough.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

I know you know this: Go up to to a 40+" TV and the FOV is pretty cool ;)

Edit: I've considered a single 40"-50" 4k TV instead of triples, but then you're stuck in 60 Hz land.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, can't beat a bigger window, except when you have multiple. That's why bay windows are a thing :D

I bought a 27" with a view to triples at some point in future (when I get a GPU that can do it, mainly). 27 was the smallest I thought I could get away with (decent enough FOV still, vertically, without being too close for comfort). Smallest because I'm cheap. And that's 60Hz too, I'm ok with that, because I'm cheap. (should really be gsync compatible, but... you get the gist)

Previously I had a 21" where proper FOV was terrible, but still cool (think I posted earlier in this thread about it). Briefly I used a replaced 32" TV and it awakened a desire for real perspective, despite the pixels (1366x768 TV at close quarters is very blocky, but once you start driving... you really don't notice it all that much).

It seems most people just don't get what real perspective means, and the fact that watching a youtube video showing it doesn't do it justice on their screens (heck, even people with big/close screens and using correct FOV, then post up videos in an effort to convince others - forgetting that it works on their setup because of how their setup is. Someone else watching a low-FOV video on their 22" screen (and even not in fullscreen, probably) doesn't show anything). Then you throw in a lack of understanding of the maths and everything gets lost.

Before too long we'll all be switching to VR, and people will rave about it and still not understand that the correct perspective they're now experiencing was always possible - if perhaps not practical - on the screen(s) they had before. Obviously being able to move that window around with your head helps as well.

12. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

29 inch @ 144 hz might be the ideal

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have a single 27in @144 and the first hairpin at Silverstone GT always gives me fits. rarely can I see the apex or the exit in the same view.

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

On single screen I used to always up the field of view by 10,empty box did a video on it so I used his advise,so if you have a realistic fov of 18 try 28 etc, if I’d increase it by 20 things would start to look off concerning speed

mesfigas likes this.
  15. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

realistic fov adds to immersion a lot
    i remember using 55 fov for a long time
    after switching to 33 was something like heeeyyy the track and the motion feel starts to look real !!!!!

Filip likes this.
  16. Louis

Louis Registered

If used wrong...:D
    Btw Lazza, i was about to ask you in private but since this came to the surface again.... you already tried modern f1 mod called ow f1 2018 v0.95 ?
    Tried these days and it seems they modeled their vehicles in opposite form i was suggesting (wrong modeled i imagine you would say). Instead moddeling the vehicles using the standard scale, it seems their models is a bit bigger than usual. The outcome is that you can use higher fov values and still have a proportional cockpit when using triple screen setup with the steering wheel close to monitors.
    This is exactly the opposite of my theory that modders should model vehicle a bit smaller so when using the right distance to the monitors to calculate fov, you end up having the fov to the road and to the cockpit..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  17. Louis

Louis Registered

Another important thing, i believe, to add immersion, is setting the monitor so your eye level is about in the center of the screen.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  18. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

This is a must imho,not to be picky but just putting it there for folks to know.
    David tucker who is an iracing dev said you should have your monitor so your eyes are 60% up the height of the screen.,anal I know but lol

Louis likes this.
  19. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

All I can say is that with a 52" TV, my eyes located about 65 cm so the most near possible, a 50 FOV realistic (calculated and verified with 2 known calculators-those we speak about the forum), the immersion is incredible, really, in 60 hz, 60 FPS, all the Graphics in ultra and in full HD.The 4K is preferable, but forcing the graphical parameters in the nvidia control panel, the Graphics are very beautiful, level 5 of the AA is sufficient too, just my experience, which I recommend.

Louis likes this.
  20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

You set the monitors like David Tucker said because naturally we don't look perfecty horizontal, we look down a little.
    So if you set the centre of monitor level with or above your eye height you have to lift your head from it's natural resting position.
    It's all about ergonomics and less undue strain on the body which equals more time racing. :cool: