[REL] 1967 Endurance (Proto/Sports/GT) - modded Howston G4

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by woochoo, Jan 5, 2015.

1. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, I was wondering if the headlights would be enough for people, but that's the closest anyone has come to complaining so far.
    Yes, it might mean not many people have driven them at night, but i'd prefer to think it's another thing i didn't have to change :p

bwana likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The 12hr Sebring is rather well lit, I haven't tried the 2nd full course yet, the one with greatly reduced trackside objects.

3. woochoo

woochoo Registered

imo, as the person who adjusted the headlights, they're ok at Le Grand Circuit, which is mostly dark dark dark. I intended them to have what i imagine a vintage racing illumination characteristic is, which i might guess is similar to cheap, bottom of the line, modern headlight, or worse. That is to say, they're a bit short, a bit dark, and a bit yellow

John, Seven Smiles and bwana like this.
  4. woochoo

woochoo Registered

a few quick notes
    1) pretty darn close to ready. Have only had limited time to chip away at it, and i think this is ok for now.
    2) will probably post the cmp here, soon, for some testing/verification before putting it on the workshop.
    3) the windscreen/water drop effects aren't implemented (that doesn't mean the cars are worthless or undrivable - it means i don't have the time/inclination to do it right now)
    4) ABOUT MOVABLE WINGS: turns out, on my system at least, front and rear flaps can only be bound to the same button in devmode. Not in the retail version. Could someone please check to confirm that?

Sebastien Sestacq and jimagn like this.
  5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

UPDATE: Good News, Everybody!
    [​IMG]
    @Christopher Elliott has informed me that the retail version of the game can use the same binding for a function, but it has to be done in the controller file, not the UI.

So, assign your key or button for Rear Flap in the UI and save the controller profile.
    Open the controller .json (in Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller) with a text editor, and search for "Rear Flap"
    eg
    Code:
        "Control - Rear Flap":[
        ],
    and use those two numbers
    1 = there is an assigned control for this function,
    41 = the input on the controller for the function (this number is automatically generated - you don't need to search for it in a list or anything. "41" is for my controller setup. It might be a different number on your setup).
    Code:
        "Control - Front Flap":[
        ],
    as pointed out by @davehenrie , there is also an option to make the flap button "momentary", so that the button or key has to be held down to activate low-drag mode, similarly to how the original was operated (albeit with a pedal in the foot well). When the button/key/pedal is released, the wing reverts to high-drag mode.
    Set to true or false as desired. Default is false.
    true requires holding the button, false works as an on/off toggle.
    Code:
     "Hold Flap Button":false,
        "Hold Flap Button#":"whether you need to hold the flap button (as opposed to it acting as a toggle)",

Then save the file.
    You might need to re-load the profile in the UI.
    Make sure it's selected as the controller profile in the game's UI.
    Double check that both flaps have the same control binding in the UI.
    That ought to let you use the white car with the big wing, without turning it into an oversteer machine.

general tips for the wing:
    Have the wing in high downforce position for most corners.
    Slight kinks might be ok in low downforce position.
    Activate high downforce just before a fast kink if you need to, and then release it when the car is balanced enough to hold.
    Use high downforce position in braking zones, possibly activating the wing just before applying the brakes to improve initial balance.
    When accelerating from a slow corner, probably leave the wing in high downforce for a few moments to improve traction, and then switch to low downforce if appropriate.
    If the road is straight, flatten the wing :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  6. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Great to hear! As for the water effects on the body. If you use 3DSimEd you can copy and paste the shader/texture info from another car that it is working on. I have used the Endurance Series cars as a template for a couple cars I have converted. I haven't had the time to figure out the windscreen part yet. It looks complicated, and just haven't had the opportunity to attempt to figure it out.

7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks, it might be possible to reuse the assets from the S397 version of the G4, because i think that has water support. And the G4 has always had a working wiper mesh. But, I think it will all wait until next time :) And it's not like this omission makes the cars unusable in the rain

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

this is awesome news, just one question for a guy who hasn't poked around the jsons that much, where is the input # listed? (the 41 in your example)

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

i didn't poke around much myself, but i don't think there is a "list" available to the user.
    I'm guessing the game just takes note of every available button/etc it can find on the device (i.e keyboard/steering wheel), and assigns each of those buttons/etc an integer. Something like that anyway.

Just take whatever number it puts in the rear flap when you assign a button.
    The bottom line is, you don't need to think about it :D

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I just realized, if I'm gonna use the clutch pedal to simulate the wing actuator, then I'm gonna have to re-learn right foot braking. I haven't done that in years....YEARS....man that is going to be ugly.(can ya tell I'm looking forward to this release?)

jimagn likes this.
  11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

right, i tested that earlier, and it seems the flaps, as systems in rF2, are either on or off.
    One press and release of the clutch to change the wing position. One press and release to change it back.
    So if you hold the clutch half way, it will probably either switch it or do nothing, depending on if you're pressing to half, or releasing from full.
    But if you NEED half-wing, you can rapidly press the clutch (or button). That works. I did try it :D

jimagn likes this.
  12. woochoo

woochoo Registered

ambient short film. I made one!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    datasting, Turbo, elcoco and 10 others like this.
  13. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

excellent!! le manège a 15mn comme quand j'étais gamin (début 80 y'en avait encore^^) du génie!! ;)

woochoo and philmcqueen like this.
  14. woochoo

woochoo Registered

truly, I don't really understand French. I'm sorry.

But google says you're saying it took 15 minutes to drive around the circuit in the early 1980s. Correct? It's nice to hear stories like that. And it's nice when my projects can bring back good memories for people. Merci!
    -- French, via google --
    vraiment, je ne comprends pas vraiment le français. Je suis désolé.

Mais Google dit que vous dites qu'il a fallu 15 minutes pour faire le tour du circuit au début des années 80. Correct? C'est bien d'entendre des histoires comme ça. Et c'est bien quand mes projets peuvent ramener de bons souvenirs pour les gens. Merci!

15. Sebastien Sestacq

hmm hard for trad in english "manège" i'm so bad...
    has 15 minutes in the video the "carousel" is the same as when I was a kid in the early 80's :D
    good memory yes! (my first at the mans in 1982)

woochoo likes this.
  16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

The carousel at 15 minutes is like when I was a kid (was still there early 80s)

woochoo and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Do you see near the back?? apprpoximentally 9th and 15th?? The two White Wings.... <vbg>

woochoo likes this.
  18. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Ah, the fair ground ride! The "Jets".
    Yes, I could see them in the background of photos from 1967, and also in the Steve McQueen film.
    I thought someone, somewhere, would appreciate it :D

There are a few scenes where you can see the wings change :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Sebastien Sestacq and jimagn like this.
  19. woochoo

woochoo Registered

screenshots and pre-release test available (manual install - not yet on workshop)

v1.50 - someone please give it a test before i put it on workshop?
    Shouldn't need to unsub from the workshop version, but pay attention that you don't accidentally add the old opponents, because that'll probably be in the main opponent selection group - or unsub. whatever :)
    (also, I've lost my published file ID for the workshop, so if anyone knows how to retrieve that, I'd love to know, thanks :) )

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A25QUxRpbVdLKsKo_zJBZmKqP3SEtkQW

Instructions for binding a single control to activate both front and rear flaps for car 7/8, and also tips for using the cars with adjustable wings.

01_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG
    03_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG
    02_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG 04_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG
    05_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG
    06_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG 07_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG 08_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG 09_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG 10_HG4-1967Endur_LeGrandCircuit1967_woochoo.JPG

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Legend, Mauro, davehenrie and 10 others like this.
  20. Sebastien Sestacq

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018