Questions about AI settings

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by dadaboomda, Dec 16, 2017.

1. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Hello.

Player exclusively offline I have however almost never used the AI. For several reasons, but mainly disastrous performance problems with AI.

I drove a lot of time with the AI these days and I must say I like it a lot.

Beginner's questions :

- AI strength = no problem
    - AI aggression: what does it do when we increase it ? And lower it?
    - AI limit: impact when it is increased and when it is lowered?

There is a video youtube apparently very well but in English I understand too bad the oral ...

I would like that the AI seeks more to avoid the accident.

2. Emery

Emery Registered

Aggression is how hard they try to pass you. Some people say that lowering it reduces AI banging into each other or bouncing over kerbs, but not in my experience.

AI Limiter is how much their lap times vary if they're the only car on the track. Generally set this to 0 (or very low) and let the traffic & track conditions vary the lap times. The variance is always slower.

AI avoiding accidents... here's where I have to drag other sims in for comparison. The AI in AC have very little awareness of a stopped car and the cars will stack up behind you if you stop on track, some can't even get past you and retire even when they're not damaged! pCARS 2 will single file past you (because they're always single file after the starting lap as of patch 3) very cleanly after slowing down a reasonable amount. Raceroom & Automobilista both slow down a LOT and are mostly clean about passing a stopped vehicle (usually one car going right, next car going left), giving a few nudges. rF2 recognizes a stopped vehicle, alters path to go around it (usually one car left, next car right), but doesn't slow down much, so when an AI gets a little jammed up in traffic trying to get around the vehicle and abruptly stops, then the following AI start piling in... the best way I can characterize rF2 AI is that they are there to race rather than be totally safe. As far as I know, there's no control for this behavior, though lowering AI Aggression might or might not help.

It's also worth noting that rF2 AI do not see vehicles that are off the track, so when you re-enter the track after spinning into the grass, to the AI you "appear out of nowhere" and will get clobbered rather than how a human would alter line a bit to leave you room for re-entry.

3. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Thank you for this answer very clear.

That's exactly what I was wondering :

If someone has the answer, it would be cool.

My AI aggression is 25% I think (default): in the meantime I will lower it to 17%.

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

AI aggression: what does it do when we increase it ? And lower it?

i saw a video that says that is good to choose between 30-40 % for open wheeler cars and 50% for GT cars
    video from Empty box try find it on youtube it explains a lot of things

5. nurogize

nurogize Registered

When doing a qualifying session, instead of 'skipping', press Ctrl + X, to speed up time instead, ensure slower cars at the back.
    Especially in the case of multi-class racing, you're less likely to have pile ups.